• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Upgrade Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwrtrumpet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently returned to a semi-pro status as a horn player, after doing the occasional gig over the last decade or so. I bought my current horn new in college back in 1984... a Yamaha 6340st. I loved the horn because, when placed side by side with a Schilke, it looked the same and played darn near close to it. The key for me was freerer blowing due to no braces on the tuning slide, a key factor for me.

My horn has seen better days, and I've been looking into a possible upgrade. But all the horns I've been looking at have a brace on the tuning slide. Budget at this point is limited, but I'd like a horn with no braces on the tuning slide that doesn't require them being removed... I'd like a horn that is MADE with no braces.

Any suggestions?

P.S. Does anyone else feel like your "cheating" because you write posts about changing horns... with your trumpet in the same room???
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt guilty just reading this post with my horn in the same room. I had to go over and make sure she was O.K.

Welcome to the herald!

[ This Message was edited by: boofredlay on 2004-02-19 09:55 ]
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JW,

Your old Yamaha is going to be hard to replace...the closest thing to that model is going to be something in a Schilke large bore (the 6340 is LB). Ren designed the 6340, which explains why you thought it was so close to the Schilke when you bought it.

I'd recommend having your baby checked out to see what it would take to get it back to normal again...dents removed, check valve compression, valve alignment, touch-up the plating, etc... She might be in better shape than you think!

Paul Poovey
trumpettyler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6320S from about 1985/86 (can't remember). I too feel like it was modeled after the Schilke, just ML bore instead of L. Am I right?

I still love the horn, but I must admit I have 'new horn fever' too.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd just have it reconditioned.

If your willing to change your blow, then the new 8310Z may fill the bill, but it's going to require backing off on the air and perhaps a slightly more open mpc. The 6310Z are really inexpensive right now also.

Dave
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New trumpets with unbraced main tuning slides are getting hard to find, even harder in a reasonable price range. While Yamaha once made a number of 6xx, 7xx, and later 6xxx models with unbraced main tuning slides, to my knowledge, the only horns with unbraced main tuning slides in current produciton are the Yamaha 8310Z, Schilke B and X series, ZeuS Olympus, and Taylor Chicago standard. Any TH'ers know of any others?
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Lawler horns are unbraced...
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. The Kanstul KTR700 also has an unbraced main tuning slide. You have more options than I thought.
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpettyler --

You are correct. Ren Schilke worked closely with Yamaha to design their line of trumpets for the North American market in the 70's and 80's. Yamaha began moving towards a more Bach-like generic design when they introduced the HeavyWall line. Now, the only big horns (by that I mean Bb and C -- don't know about Eb's or piccolos and the like) that have any parts on them from the original Schilke designs are the 6310Z (soon to be replaced by the 8310Z ), and the Mike Vax model (6335HSMV -- has the same bell and tuning slide that the 6340 had).

Paul Poovey
bent trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wild Thing with a J slide fits that catagory, along with a Vintage Martin Committee.
cuivre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are okay with a medium-large bore horn, both the KTR700 and CCT900 Kanstuls come without braces. If you need a large-bore horn, the Kanstul COL103 could be special-ordered without the slide brace. All three horns are under $1000.
cuivre

If you are okay with a medium-large bore horn, both the KTR700 and CCT900 Kanstuls come without braces. If you need a large-bore horn, the Kanstul COL103 could be special-ordered without the slide brace. All three horns are under $1000.
pwrtrumpet

Wow... a lot of good info. I've been looking at the 6310Z for some time, because this had been the only one minus the brace. Now another great thing about the 6340 is the first valve trigger, not saddle. Did I, just in some magnificent cosmic accident, chance on a great horn or do first valve triggers come standard on any non-custom horns? Also, I'd like some feedback on a good refurb company (Yeah, my baby's not that bad) in or near Jacksonville, Florida.

Thanks for all your quick responses... just like my valves! WOO HOO!
pwrtrumpet

Wow... a lot of good info. I've been looking at the 6310Z for some time, because this had been the only one minus the brace. Now another great thing about the 6340 is the first valve trigger, not saddle. Did I, just in some magnificent cosmic accident, chance on a great horn or do first valve triggers come standard on any non-custom horns? Also, I'd like some feedback on a good refurb company (Yeah, my baby's not that bad) in or near Jacksonville, Florida.

Thanks for all your quick responses... just like my valves! WOO HOO!
cuivre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one more: If you have the money most or all Callets come without the main tuning slide brace.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest the Callet Jazz ... I don't think it has a brace on the tuning slide .... great horn!!! They're getting harder and harder to find now days though.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PW --

Here is some info on your horn, and a little story:

Your 6340ST was available with or without the trigger (the "T" designates the trigger option, while the 6340S had a saddle). It is lightweight construction (bell and body), .463 bore, and was in production from 1984-1995. I interned with Yamaha in the fall of 1999, and we located about 8 of these hanging out in a back corner of the warehouse in Grand Rapids. I got to pick one of them out of the litter for Kevin Clark ( http://www.kclarkjazz.com/ ) and sent it to him in New Orleans, and the rest were sent to a dealer in Louisiana for some of his buddies to fight over. All 8 horns were REALLY close, and it was hard to make a decision. You have a "classic" to be sure. Great horn. If you visit Kevin's website, you can see his 6340S in action!

Paul Poovey

[ This Message was edited by: AverageJoe on 2004-02-19 14:00 ]
pwrtrumpet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... this is great! Such great info on my horn.

The last post touched on something as well... the trigger. I've found very few with no brace, and even fewer with a trigger. Are there any horns made that fit this bill... no brace and first valve trigger? Or did I, as the last post stated, chance into a classic horn? And if that's the case...

... anyone know of a great reputable horn refurb place? I know Callet's does. I think I even contacted Calicchio about a non-C refurb. Any suggestions? I'm now living in Jacksonville, Florida.

I love it! Such quick responses... just like my valves! WOO HOO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: