• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pro-Oil Hybrid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcmacman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone use this valve oil?
How does it compare with AL Cass, Bynak etc...
All of the music stores by me and even some on the internet are out of Al Cass and I have a few drops left.

Thanks
John
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Pro-Oil Hybrid, and if you use it correctly (i.e. follow all the initial cleaning directions) it worked great for me, much better than Al Cass on my Vintage One.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jcmacman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks oneeyedhobbit.

What did you do to clean the valves. I normally use a mild soap, Dial, and soak the trumpet, in pieces, in the bath tub in warm water.
Thanks

John
_FELIX C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clean your valves and entire trumpet buy Simple Green lime Scale remover. and clean your complete instrument , then dry witha blower and oil completely.if you can found thsi simple green use Dawn dish detergent. with some warm water. I clean my instruments with excellent results.I wish to try hybrid oil.
Thansk and blessings
Benge 3X+
Benge 3 Flugelhorn
Schilke 14F4
I use my Personal Blend of Valve Oil
rank_amateur
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it and love. I have a Lawler TL-1 with very close tolerance Getzen valves, and nothing has worked better for me. But, as someone already pointed out, it is very important that you heed the package directions and clean the valves and casings thoroughly before first application, as the stuff does not coexist well with the residue of conventional oils.

Brent Edwards
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil works great, provided you have clean, scale free valves. It worked fantastic on my Olds Special (recently chemically cleaned) and my ew Jupiter flugelhorn, but took about 2 weeks for the valves on my Yamaha trumpet to work in - obviously there was some gunk on the valves I couldn't clean off. But once they worked in, they are fantastic, faster even than Al Cass, and a single drop of oil every few weeks keeps them flying.

If you have trouble cleaning the horn at home, get it chemically cleaned by a repairman, and reassembled using the Pro oil.

Michael
jcmacman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the information.
The horn's getting a bath tonight!

John
jamie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use "PRO-OIL NEW IMPROVED FORMULA" it works great better than anything else i have tryed and my teacher uses it, but on the bottle it says that it is guaranteed to out preform any oil excepy HYBRID. so i'm not quite sure it is the same.... it is red and looks like juice.
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some info I found on 3 different types of PRO-OIL:

PRO-OIL HYBRID 141-A7

Professional quality horns have valves which are carefully honed to more perfectly match their valve casings. They are generally lapped by hand using a procedure which yields a much smaller gap between the piston surface and the valve casing. This, in turn, results in a tighter fitting valve. There are significant benefits to this approach, but some precision valves are so tight that, without a special valve oil, the valves tend to seize in the casing after a short playing time. In other words, very small changes are exaggerated when playing a professional quality horn. Musicians who make their living with their horn require an oil that not only is exceedingly fast and smooth, but also an oil that must not slow down during their performance. To meet the challenge, the paradox of two competing properties: high speed and endurance, had to be solved. In 1991, MusiChem embarked on a new research program based on 20 years experience, laboratory testing of numerous candidate components, and intensive field testing by more than 50 world class musicians working in all kinds of playing conditions.

The oil that resulted from this unparalleled effort employs synthetic and non-synthetic components, hence the name PRO-OIL HYBRID was chosen. The current formula (141-A7) is the first in a generation of maximum performance piston valve oils. This colorless and odorless oil does not contain kerosene, silicone, or Teflon, and therefore will not cause a build up. It is sold in a protective clear package, and contains important information about cleaning the valves and valve casings prior to the first application of HYBRID. When it comes to professional quality hyper-tight piston valves, no other valve oil compares to PRO-OIL HYBRID (141-A7). PRO-OIL HYBRID is guaranteed to be the fastest, longest lasting piston valve oil in the world or your money back. No other company can or does make that claim.

PRO-OIL RED

Most production horns, generally have valve/casing clearances with wider tolerances than more expensive hand crafted professional horns. The demands on these pistons valves are less severe than for tighter fitting professional horns, and PRO-OIL RED formula is perfect for these horns. This oil has a low viscosity (hence it is fast), but it also has a relatively low evaporation rate (hence it lasts a long time).

The original formula (introduced in 1972) had a cinnamon fragrance. Two changes were made in the past few years: it is now odorless because the fragrance was removed, and the lasting quality of the oil was improved by incorporating some ideas discovered during research on Hybrid. Like all other MusiChem products, this formula does not contain kerosene, silicone or toxic components. It is equally effective on both nickel plated valves and Monel valves. With the singular exception of our HYBRID Formula valve oil, PRO-OIL Red is faster and lasts longer than any other piston valve oil on the market.

ROTOR

This is an oil for the other type of valve (rotary). Although both PRO-OIL RED and PRO-OIL HYBRID will work well on rotary valves, this type of valve has different performance criteria, and needs a radically different type of oil.

Rotary valves enjoy the benefits of an actual (spindle) bearing instead of a simple sliding surface. Except for lubrication of the bearing, rotary valves do not need the frequent lubrication, which is common with piston valves. However, unlike piston valves, the surface of most rotary valves is raw brass. In an environment rich in carbon dioxide, moisture, and electrolytes (breath aerosols), the brass valves undergo constant attack. The formation of copper and zinc carbonates can becomes so severe that dezincification and carbonate buildup eventually cause the valves to be immovable or destroyed altogether.

When ROTOR was developed, an effective corrosion inhibitor was added. The combination of this inhibitor and several non-evaporating lubricants results in an oil that dramatically retards corrosion by passivating the brass surface while simultaneously enhancing the smooth feeling of the rotary valve movement. ROTOR is the best choice for the serious musician playing on an expensive rotary valve instrument (e.g., the French horn). It is also the best choice for student rental programs because these players are less inclined to oil their valves routinely (if ever).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: