• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Stradivarius 43 question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Bach Stradivarius 43 ML #50993

Would some kind hearted sole on this board please educate me what the bell and bore size is on this horn and the approximate date of manufacture?

I seem to remember some Bach's come with stars on the bell to indicate the sixe but this one has none.

As always thanks in advance for your help.This board is a wealth of information.
rank_amateur
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See

http://www.selmer.com/brass/stradtrp/historical.html

for the manufacture date (~1970). As for the other stuff, you'll need to find someone who knows Bachs better than I do.

Brent Edwards
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stars on Bach bells indicate that it is a lightweight bell. Bore size ought to be .459. That is what the ML indicates.

If you will just root around in the http://www.selmer.com page under Bach and Stradivarius, there are some spec sheets in PDF format that you can print out.

Mike

[ This Message was edited by: bgwbold on 2004-02-19 14:37 ]
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love those old Early Elkharts. I believe the lightweight Bach's have a slightly smaller bore size with their lightweight bodies ... but not much. I standard weight 2nd valve slide will not fit on a lightweight body.

However, it sounds like you do not have a star on your bell. You have a Bach that was built in 1970 (good year) with a ML bore (0.459") and standard weight yellow brass (not gold brass indicated with a "G"). Might want to hold on to that horn.

Bb Bachs
- 37 S180ML-24K 284xxx
- 37 ML 43LP 30xxx
- 65* ML 154xxx
C - Bach 229/25R
Picc - Yamaha Custom 9830 w/Laskey PIC
Flugel - Jupiter 846RL w/68F
Cornet - Bach 181 w/68DB
Laskeys 68MD,68C

[ This Message was edited by: jophst on 2004-02-19 15:07 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lightweight ML bore size is the same -- .459. The outside diameter is smaller, because the tubing is lightweight and thus has thinner walls. That's why a standard weight 2nd valve slide won't fit into a lightweight Bach.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur but the slide doesn't slide into the ports, it's the brass inserts attached to the slide. This would tell me that the inside diameter is not the same. Do you own a lightweight?
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't own a light weight.

You guys have some great information.

I am not getting rid of this horn by any means.Its always been a good one.If anything I was thinking about having a valve re-alignment done.

I gave it to my son to play just this past year and picked myself up a Kanstul.

I wanted my son to have something nice to show to his Friends.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you're comparing the outer diameters of second valve slide tubes, which is not the bore. However, I don't have a Bach trumpet of any description, so I won't say any more on the subject.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I realize that is not the bore. I really don't understand why they wouldn't just simply interchange with each other ... since it is the inner diameter that counts with slides, not the outer diameter. I don't own that horn anymore but maybe I should have checked to see if I could fit a standard weight Bach piston into the lightweight horn.

Has anyone tried this?

If someone owns a lightweight and a standard weight Bach, could you please try it (carefully) and see?

Bb Bachs
- 37 S180ML-24K 284xxx
- 37 ML 43LP 30xxx
- 65* ML 154xxx
C - Bach 229/25R
Picc - Yamaha Custom 9830 w/Laskey PIC
Flugel - Jupiter 846RL w/68F
Cornet - Bach 181 w/68DB
Laskeys 68MD,68C

[ This Message was edited by: jophst on 2004-02-19 17:06 ]
trumpet manor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
On 2004-02-19 17:05, jophst wrote:
Yes I realize that is not the bore. I really don't understand why they wouldn't just simply interchange with each other ... since it is the inner diameter that counts with slides, not the outer diameter.

If you had read the post by nieuwguyski, you would have seen that he answered this question quite clearly.
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only comment I would add is that star bells don't necessarily mean that the body is also lightweight, and vice versa.

Dave M probably could add some expert knowledge to the earlier questions, plus this one: Do large bore Bach horns have the same size valves as regular bore horns? (I don't know the answer.)

Mike
trumpet manor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-19 19:30, bgwbold wrote:
The only comment I would add is that star bells don't necessarily mean that the body is also lightweight, and vice versa.

Mike

Concerning stock configurations that Bach offers, a star on the bell DOES indicate a lightweight bell AND lightweight body. The configurations suggested by bgwbold above would be special orders. The exception would be the LR series, which has a lightweight body and a standard weight bell.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"trumpet_manor" is exactly right. The LR series does offer a lightweight body with a standard weight bell. I'm glad someone finally agrees with me! HA!!
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two large bore Bach's (one really, the other is WAY too old to use as a comparison) but I've never compared the pistons from one to the other (ML to L). My gut feeling is there is no difference what so ever in the pistons. For the .468, yes, possibly, but for the .462, I really doubt it.

Hadn't followed this thread entirely. Kind of ill today (allergies/cold) but will check it later.

The internal tubing used on lightweight body horns is thinner. Much thinner. Kind of like the early Bachs. It makes for a smaller outside diameter.

(Funny though I've heard people say, "Man, those early NY Bach's are so heavy" - nah, they're not. They're lighter!)

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
trumpet manor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-19 21:01, jophst wrote:
The LR series does offer a lightweight body with a standard weight bell. I'm glad someone finally agrees with me!

It's interesting to me that some believe that facts are something to agreed or disagreed with. The following quote is taken directly from the Selmer website:

"LR180 SERIES
A unique configuration offering the quick response of a lightweight model with the projection of a standard. Features lightweight body, standard weight bell, and reversed construction #25LR mouthpipe."

If you still don't believe, go here:

http://www.selmer.com/brass/stradtrp/lr180.html

and read for yourself. This is not a matter of opinion but rather a matter of fact.
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet manor wrote:
Concerning stock configurations that Bach offers, a star on the bell DOES indicate a lightweight bell AND lightweight body. The configurations suggested by bgwbold above would be special orders. The exception would be the LR series, which has a lightweight body and a standard weight bell.

==================

I have a 72* with a reg weight body, but I strongly suspect the bell is a transplant, not a special order in my case. Anyone have a lightweight body and bell 72*? If so, how do you like it?

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: