• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Nasal air leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
humblehorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is to solicit information about a frustrating problem.

Background: I am an experienced amateur and have played with a conditional embouchure for years. My range has never been great - topping out around C. I have been working methodically through the BE exercises for about 3 weeks. While working on Roll Out #4, I realized that an old problem has returned.

The problem is that when compression has built to a certain level, air starts to leak intenally up into the nose. This results in a rather annoying noise and feeling to the player, but the most serious issue is that the compression is released. The release happens when building compression to play around B or C above the staff. The BE approach seems to exacerbate this, probably because the internal configuration of the mouth is different. For example, putting more air in my face makes the leakage worse. Please note, I am not blaming BE for this - I suspect it is revealing either a defect in my technique or anatomy.

I have actually had this problem for years but my conditional embouchure minimized the problem somewhat while playing, but also limited my range.

I diid a search of the entire Forum and found another player complaining of the same thing, but there was not much help in the feedback.

So here are my questions to you teachers:
1. How frequently have you encountered such a problem in your students?
2. When you see this, does it seem to be a problem with technique or anatomy?
3. In either case, are your students able to find a fix?

And if any of you have experienced this yourself and overcome it, I'd like to hear your insights.

thanks in advance for the help
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good analysis! You have an obvious weakness in physiology, which you have found a way around in the past. But you can't escape the fact that higher notes need more air compression. So, what to do?

I have very limited experience with this specific problem. Sometimes a student gets tonsils removed (a mistake in my opinion) and loses the internal air sealing function. The solution, in each case was to push the envelope every day in practice, making the student ascend up to the point where the leak was manifest. Over time, the muscles would respond, retraining themselves to once again make the seal.

I would also have the student, off the horn, practice blowing air through their nose, stopping and starting the air by using those internal muscles while forcing the air out strongly. The muscles are subtle, but you can really feel them when you practice this exercise. Over time, the seal improves.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: