• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha D/Eb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcquoit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any thoughts about the Yamaha 9610, especially in comparison to the Schilke E3L?
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6610 is not even in the same league with the Schilke E3-L. The reason is that the 6610 shares the same bell with the Eb and D keys. This is an inherent compromise, usually more for the Eb side of the horn. The E3-L as well as the Yamaha 9610 have interchangeable slides and bells which is much better.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original post asks about the 9610, not the 6610.

I have played the 6610 (which I own), a 9610 and a fair number of Schilkes.

I find that I can get the sound I am looking for (a softer, more baroque tone) from my 6610 than the others. Both the 9610 and the Schilke appear to be designed for the orchestral world.

Of the two you enquired about, I found the Schilke to be very bright, but excellent for intonation.
The Yamaha was a slightly more mellow sound, but I found the intonation to be slightly inferior to the Schilke.

My advice would be to try everything possible and see which one works for you. When I do get round to obtaining another Eb trumpet (one more suited to the orchestral world) I will be trying a huge number of them to find one that I feel works for me.

If you are looking for Schilke type Eb trumpets, I would also look at the Stomvi and the B&S instruments. I have played both and they compare to the two you have mentioned very favourably.
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely agree with trying the B&S horns and Stomvis.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a B&S Bb 3137 2GB and it floored me on how well it played .. I had to look at the bell 5 times making sure it wasn't a Bach Strad ... and a good one at that .. just an amazing horn for the price .. still not sure why I sold that beauty.

I third the recommendation to try Stomvi horns. I used to own a Stomvi Elite Eb/D and it played really great. Response was very easy and intonation was just spot on accurate on both sides of the horn. It is much cheaper than the Yamaha or the Schilke also. You should play them first of course ... they can't all be perfect, but that was surely a pro horn! Good luck!

P.S. I'm a big fan of Yamaha's though so I wouldn't count them out totally.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 9610 is an awesome horn. I like the 9610 better than the E3L. I seem to be able to play more in tune on the Yamaha and it also feels like the valves have a shorter stroke than the Schilke. 4th line D is still flat as a pankake on both horns but I suppose you learn to live with it.

The 6610 is just a short model Eb/D but I believe the main difference in sound is because of the bell flare. It looks to me like the 6610 has almost a full sized bell.

I've used both (6610 and 9610) in my old quintet, and ran into interesting troubles with each one. The 66 seems to blend better with the big horns and not at all with a picc, whereas the 96 blends better with the picc and not as much so with the big horns.

The solution? Buy a 9610 and have C tpt bells cut to fit.

John

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: