• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vintage Lafayette Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about vintage "Lafayette" trumpets.

My first non-rental trumpet was a Lafayette. I recall that the bell said "Lafayette" in script letters and it was "Made in Paris." (Pretty fancy, eh?) It was my dad's trumpet when he was in high school (late 1930's/early 1940's), he had it refurbished and gave it to me when I was in grade school, probably when he realized that I'd probably stick with trumpet and that would be cheaper to refurbish his horn than to rent a horn indefinitely. Later, my parents gave me a Bach, which went with me when I went to college. While I was away at college (late 1970's), my parents sold it in a garage sale since I had my Bach.

Browsing through ebay, I saw a couple of horns listed as "Lafayette by Couesnon" and am now wondering if these are essentially the same kind of horn I learned on. The engraving on the bell looks familiar, although I don't recall seeing Couesnon on the bell of my old horn. But then again, there's a lot off stuff from the 1970's I don't remember.

So, my questions are:
(1) Did anyone other than Couesnon make "Lafayette" trumpets in the 1920's/1930's?
(2) Any feel for how these horns play?

Strolling down memory lane,

Steve

PS -- If you bought a "Lafayette" trumpet in a garage sale in Falls Church, VA in the late 1970's, I want to hear from you! Seriously!

Matthew 25:31-46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: