• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Challenger weight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone out there know the weight of the B&S Challenger II? I'm in the market and would like to find something nearly as heavy as the old Connstellation I'm replacing. Several TH posts refer to the Challenger II as 'heavy" and the price is right, so I was wondering if anyone can be more specific than "heavy". Thanks!
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to pick one of the Challenger European models (435G?) up and blow on it a bit two weeks ago. It felt and sounded very similar to my old Bach 180 ML37S. It seemed to be far more accurate on the notes though. The experience didn't convince me that I'd outgrown my Schilke however.
trump_it
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Challenger 2 recently for an extended period of time, and it is by no means a "heavy" horn. It is heavier than you'd expect from just looking at it, but it's not heavy.
TrumpetPly1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my B&S Challenger II for close to two years now and I love it. It definitely has a bigger sound than my Bach does and the intonation and response is far better. The higher notes especially slot a lot better. Now comparing the weight of the two horns, the Challenger is a little bit heavier than the Bach but not more than a pound. This is only my opinion and you have to decide on your own whether the horn suits you or not.

Michael

[ This Message was edited by: TrumpetPly1 on 2004-02-22 21:46 ]
kesslermusic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Challenger II is heavier in comparison to the Challenger I. Both are VERY good horns and most people who try them in my store take the over a Bach Strad about 90% of the time based on playability alone. Then, when they consider that the Challenger I is about $500 LESS then a Bach Strad (at catalog price), its a no brainer... but then I also have a tendancy to have them try a Conn V1 and they usually walk out the door with the Conn.

I recently had a Bach enthusiast and local teacher come in who was looking for a good replacement horn since his Bach was stolen. He didnt want a new Bach. He tried both the Challenger I in lacquer and a Challenger II in Silver with a Gold Brass bell. He liked the IIS/GP the best but since he was looking for just a temporary pro horn, he bought the standard model in lacquer.
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Gerhard Baier 3137 trumpet off ebay. I've been told it is the same trumpet as a Challenger I. I was going to buy a Kanstul 610 until I saw this trumpet's auction. I was very surprised at the quality of the trumpet. It isn't heavy at all. It plays very well. Has a nice tone and is the most in tune trumpet I've had.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: