• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Another old horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad443

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, thanks again for the info on the Marceau trumpet. Now I have another one for you. This may be more difficult. The other old trumpet I have does not have any identifying marks on it. Not a single one. Like the Marceau, it’s a narrow body model, brass finish, and has 2 distinctive features that may help your IDing it. The bell edge is not rolled, but has a very fine serrated edge. That’s the best way I can describe it. The valve casings are hexagonal from top to bottom. The screw valve caps are also hexagonal. The top valve caps have, what appears to be, plastic or mother-of-pearl insets which are goldish and brown. The lead pipe tubing to the 3rd valve has 3 braces which have hexagonal features. The 3rd valve ring is on the bottom of the 3rd valve slide. Gee, I guess there were more features to describe it than I thought. By the way, I am a retired music educator and a trumpet player (50 years). I also am a member of AFM Local #472 from York, PA. As of now, I play in the Spring Garden Band that is reputedly the 2nd or 3rd oldest continually performing concert band in the US (137 years) staffed entirely by professional musicians. Again, I appreciate your interest in identifying these old trumpets. Always up to a challenge, right?
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of a pic?
May be of some use if we are trying to identify the make.
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a Conn 40B stencil to me. does it look anything like this?

http://www.paulayickvintagebrass.com/Trumpets/Conn%20%2040B%20Vocabell%20285046/

Steve
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the description, you're probably right Steve. Although I can't think of them right now, there were a few other manufacturers that made some horns with the hex design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
nomad443

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are great. Thanks for your interest. I will try to get some digital pics to one of you in the next couple of days. Enjoyed looking at the pics of the other trumpets in the parent dir. Played a Conn Coprion for a lot of years in public schools. Changed to a 36B in college. Then to a 55B, Benge 3X, and finally a Strad 43. I really hadn't thought about that Coprion for, probably, oh, 40 years? When I started in 3rd grade, my uncle gave me his old Conn Conquerer. What a bear of a horn! thanks again. Great contacts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: