• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Just got back from Bloomington

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three lessons with Adam. He is teaching better than ever. Sciatica causes some pain in one leg, but the intensity of his message is incredible. Randy Brecker is sending students/colleagues his way. The time and $$ to spend time with this man is irrelevant.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

I'd love to hear your general impression of how it worked to take lessons on 3 consecutive days. How did Mr. Adam approach things? Did you cover different stuff? Did he "take you apart and put you back together"? Etc....
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of reviewing the tapes. By the way, I ALWAYS record my lessons. Some of Adam's remarks can be very subtle as he programs your subconcious. After the first lesson I sounded terrible! Almost like you would hear from a kid who was overblowing their chops. The second day we talked a bit about the older player and recovery time. He actually had me buzzing the mouthpiece a bit to activate the buccinator muscles. One pitch, very loud for a second or two, 4-5 times. Then right to expanding scales to F#. This came with a very strict caution not to use this with inexperienced students. This is only for the advanced student who has a bit of trouble getting warmed up, ie activating the buccinators. The third day he "put me back together". Lots of review. Feel like you are hitting a baseball. Make the sound exciting. If you experience muscle burn put the horn down as this will build bulk in the muscles which you do not want. Muscles of a swimmer not a football player. He talked a bit about how he used to analyze students problems by playing in front of a mirror attempting to copy the student. He finally came to the conclusion this was the wrong approach and that the teacher and student should concentrate soley on the "end result". The bad stuff will gradually fade away as it is replaced by the good stuff. Thinking about bad habits even in a negative sense only brings them to the forefront of our thinking, making those habits stronger. I told a story about a good 7th grade trumpet player at a jazz honor band. He played a beautifull solo on "Danny Boy". One band director remarked how there were tears in the eyes of many audience members, the other remarked that the kid only missed two or three notes the whole night. Adam jumped all over that. More later.

Billy B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: