• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Old Conn's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blewnote1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys... well, you've got me looking at old instruments on ebay. I'm totally satisfied with my current horn, but thought it might be fun to pick up a vintage one at a reasonable price for fun. Wondered if Christine might comment on this horn since she's so satisfied with hers. Reasonable price, etc?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3706334454&category=16214&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Also, to Paul Ayick... what do you think of your 2B New World Symphony... there's one (I think) listed at what looks like an ok price prior to servicing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3706760966&category=16214&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

And then to both of you (or anyone else who cares to answer)... What about this 58B? Do you think the overzealous delacquer job would be a problem?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3705801828&category=16214&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1
connloyalist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm personally not very fond of raw brass instruments. Too much work! Plus, I'm bot sure handling raw brass all the time is a good idea (maybe I'm just being paranoid here). That goes for both instruments of course.

Other than that this 22B looks very similar to the one I have, except mine is a '48. Notice that the screw of the lyre holder on the third slide is still there (assuming it is original of course). That's the first part to get lost, so this may indeed be a well maintained instrument.

In my opinion, the lacquer-less state of this 22B reduces its value somewhat. Is it worth $250.... probably, if it is indeed in good condition otherwise and if you don't mind a raw brass horn. Just thinking... it seems to me the main tuning slide isn't original to this instrument. It is set up for the "slide stop rod" or whatever its called. Which means there would have to be a ring on the tube running from the main tuning slide to the first valve. I'm not sure when they dropped that rod, but this main tuning slide might be older than the rest of the instrument. Or, the afore mentioned ring may have been removed at one point. As I said, don't remember exactly when that was dropped.

As for the 58B. See my remarks about raw brass. If the price stays under $100, it'll be OK but I don't think it is worth much more than that. If the serial number is indeed worn off, it has probably lost a lot of brass. Those serial numbers are usually stamped quite deeply (comparatively, of course).

Keep in mind that where I live vintage Conns go (retail) for 2x to 3x what they do on eBay so I am accustomed to higher prices.

Regards, Christine
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the New Era model a peashooter, or small wrap trumpet? Not that it matters, as I am sure there are some good ones that play well. Of the 3, I'd opt for the 2B, or the second of the 3 auctions. You could probably pick it up cheaper, and it looks to be in pretty good shape.
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a resoted Conn 2B Symphony and it is a great horn. Plays extremely well and very in tune for that period instrument. There were 2 styles of 2B's The older one is one with the hook 1st slide saddle.The other in the mid forties has a 1st slide trigger. It look a lot like the Gustav 8B which also had a 1st slide trigger. The bore on the Conn 2B's were 458.The horn has a full orchestral sound with very good range from below the staff to well above the staff.
Iwould say in comparison to today horns brighter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: