• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need help teaching trumpet embouchure.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boy meets Horn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This summer I am going to start teaching trumpet to 7th and 8th graders and I want to know the best way to teach the proper trumpet embouchure to them without starting them out with bad habits.
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the new Reinhardt book for beginers.

Rich Willey just got it back in print. You can get it on his "Boptisim" website.

Chris
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just my opinion, but I would be very careful with that. The embouchure is a very complex thing. Much of which is not visible from the outside. After 3 and a half years of college, I still don't grasp all of the embouchure concepts out there. It is a very tricky thing to work with a student on unless you understand it down to the finest details. Again this is my opinion, but when they are that young, you should focus most of your attention on keeping their interest! Believe me, nearly all 7th and 8th graders would rather watch cartoons than play trumpet. Make it fun and encourage them. Get them to try and match your sound and provide them with some recordings that may spark their interest in music. Just my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: