• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

trumpet buying help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chocolatemomster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bother you all, but I have a 10 year old that just started playing trumpet and I need some advice.

From what I have read up until now, I have come to understand that a Jupiter (or Bach?) trumpet would be great for a student. I have found a Jupiter model that is reasonable in price, but my 10 year old is not happy about it. **We are looking at "cheaper" trumpets since I am not sure about his dedication level at this point.

It seems that he really (REALLY) wants a trumpet that has a "color finish." (Forgive my lack of knowledge as I am sure there is a different term for this)

The only trumpets I have managed to find that are the color he wants are the following brands:
Amati & E.M. Winston

Does anyone have any suggestions? I do understand that the brand is an important consideration. Is there anything good about the above-mentioned brands?

Thanks in advance,
Heather
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the "color" he wants is silver. I wouldn't buy either of the brands you mention.

How much are you looking to spend? An Olds Ambassador is what I bought my Nephew to start on, it is an excellent trumpet, not just for starting but some accomplished players play them as well. Unfortunately they aren't silver.

The cheapest good professional silver trumpet may be an LA Benge. You can get them for $450. A decent student trumpet is a Bach TR300 which is silver. You could get them for about $300.

Steve
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect if your son's dominant factor in selecting a trumpet is the color I would possibly hold off. It is important to make it fun, but in my personal opinion the Amati is the worst trumpet I have ever played. I really believe he would become so discouraged by the poor performance of the horn (mainly the valves) that he would quickly lose interest.

How about you try the approach that you get a horn that will do the job (Jupiter, Bundy, Getzen Capri, Yamaha student model or a used Olds Ambassador) and promise to consider letting him get a trumpet of his choice when he reaches a certain level of proficiency. By then he will have become accustomed to the features that make one trumpet better than another and most likely wouldn't except a poor performing trumpet even if it were purple (my favorite color).

Best of luck to you.
chocolatemomster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only wish the color he wanted was silver. He is looking at a black one (EM Winston) or a rainbow (Amati) one. We are looking to stay in the $300 range at this point. As I mentioned before, I am still unsure of his commitment at this point.

_______

I just saw the post about the keys sticking. That does make him crazy (this is his first year in band) so I think that will make for a good arguement. I am thinking about just getting the Jupiter and using the whole "when you get better you can choose a different one" arguement. I guess at this point I just didn't want to dampen his enthusiasm for playing (hence the color vs brand dilemma).

[ This Message was edited by: chocolatemomster on 2004-02-27 20:23 ]
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Holton 602 is a really good beginner trumpet, and Holtons hold their finish better than most, so that is the first suggestion. In response to the color issue, the Olds Ambassador is probably the most common trumpet out there,and for good reason. They are so well built many horns 40 years old and more are still suitable for a professional (which I am not by a long shot). The great thing is, they are so common with a little research you can find one for around 100 dollars. A relaquer job will run around 300 more or less, and you might find someone who will do it in different colors.

Two suggestions are Kanstul and The Brass Bow, although there are several others that may be able to it as well.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone on this site ever been a kid??? Color = silver??? Right. Ten year olds mean silver when they want a colored one. And of course that's the most important thing... as a ten year old perhaps bore size or intonation ranks high on his list of cool.

Here's the problem... the trumpets that come in colors are usually made by not great makers, unless you go the long dollar and that may not be wise at this point. I am not saying he should get a black trumpet, but, if you want him to play, he had better like the way it looks and feels and impresses his bandmates or you are out 'o luck. Heck, I still think that some horns are cooler than others and it has nothing to do with the technical aspects... and I am near 60.
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supportlivejazz,
My nephew wanted silver. Two reasons - that is what many of the other kids had, and that is what I was playing. So, I haven't been a kid when "colors" were popular, but I was jumping to a conclusion due to recent experience.

I like the "buy an Olds and have it relacquered to the color he wants" idea. I think Charlie Melk could relaquer it for less than $300. his email is charliesbrass@wi.rr.com

Steve

[ This Message was edited by: wardsd on 2004-02-27 21:30 ]
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your son's tender age and your uncertainty about his commitment, I'd recommend finding a rent-with-option-to-buy deal at a local music store and picking out a name brand student horn (Bach, Yamaha, Conn, Getzen, Holton, Jupiter).

As for a black or multi-colored horn, he only thinks he wants one. After he's played in the band for awhile and realizes none of the other kids play a horn like that, he'll change his tune.

"The notes are there - find them.ā€¯ Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather,
Listen to these guys.
Larry
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather,

Having been a kid and now a father of a 14 year old and a 7 year old,I know that once a kid get's it in his mind that he wants this or that no conventional wisdom is going to change his mind.

Having a colored horn is the "cool" thing right now.They are also very popular with predominately black marching bands.Seems they like all of that flash in the pan.

FWIW Bach has a excellent student horn as well as Kanstul.Bach's hold their value very well and if you can pick up a used one on ebay for around $250 or less you will always get your money out of it in the event he folds on you..

I have a decent King student trumpet here.The lacquer is missing over about 30% of the horn and it has a few dents and such but it plays really great.I have played it side by side next to a Bach and a Kanstul and it really takes a good ear to pick up the difference.I don't believe that the average 7th grade music student could tell the difference.Slides and valves work flawlessly.

I could let you have it for $40 bucks and he could paint it to his heart's content.Heck he could even put stickers on it.How is that for cool?

I certainly would like to see you get him a nice Kanstul or BAch but ultimately its going to have to be your's and his decision on what horn he gets.
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could buy a good used horn and a can of colored spray lacquer. Clean the surface of the horn and be careful not to get any oily fingerprints on it. Then mask off areas you don't want colored, and spray it with many thin coats.... You needn't tell your son you did this... jbqd
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not be the solution for all, but it worked for me, at least...

When I was a young buck, I was all set that I wanted a nice, beautfiful golden trumpet--we rented a student model King for a while (600 if I had to guess) and, knowing nothing about trumpet, I was content. But, we weren't exactly rich, and renting it was taxing. My dad managed to find an old (circa 1970s) silver plated Conn of some type, he got it from a friend for $70. I refusted to play it, it was beat up and "junk" compared to my shiny rental. But, because my parents insisted, I took the disdainful Conn to my director--who quickly told me it was an excellent instrument! His excitement got me excited, and I loved the Conn! I felt so bad for not giving it an honest shot--we got it refurbed so it looked accepatble, and I played it with pride for 5 years.

Moral? I don't know, have the director give an honest, enthusiastic assesment, it worked for me--if someone called my horn junk, I just pointed out that the director said that I had the best trumpet among the 5th graders:)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King makes excellent student trumpets - models 600 and 601. They used to be available in red, green, blue and black laquer a couple of years ago - maybe they still are. If it absolutely has to be a coloured horn, I would strongly recommend one of these.
A black 601 I found in a music store years ago was responsible for my comeback to the trumpet playing community. It was a great horn and sure inspired me to practice, so maybe it will be an incentive for your son, too.
One thing, though - if you show up at a rehearsal or gig with a coloured trumpet, everybody will notice, so you better have your act together. That´s why I eventually sold mine...

Martin
nacog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another option is to contact Alaska Pro Brass. They overall Ambassadors and will put special finishes on them and has them for $400.00.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Alaska Pro brass & see if you can get a good deal on an Olds Ambassador that has been restored and has a color lacquer finish. They had a beautiful red one a few weeks ago.

Mike
chocolatemomster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all your help. I think I have a better perspective on everything now and know what to look for. If anyone wants, I can keep you all posted and let you know what we end up getting.

Thanks again,
Heather
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, keep us posted.
Even though I haven't added to this discussion I have been very interested in the replies you have received so far.

May I add to the advice of steering clear of Amati at ALL costs. Much as they have made improvements in the past few years, they are still useless. Last Summer I had the joy of playing in Prague (where they are made) and took a quick trip into the Amati shop, along with a trombone playing colleague - we played our way through every instrument there - not one of them came up to the student Yamaha quality, tuning or sound!

They are cheap for a reason!!!

The King finishes are excellent, you won't go far wrong.
The idea of getting an Ambassador and having it finished in a colour of your choice is a very good one - your child can get exactly the colour they are after.

If they want to get some inspiration, check out http://www.taylortrumpets.com/ - some seriously impressive paint jobs, not to mention some amazing trumpets - if money is no object (well, we can all dream!) these are well worth getting hold of.
chocolatemomster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank you all (again) and let you know that we decided on a "slightly" used Yamaha (just brass, no color) I am really happy and thankful that you guyd took the time to help a distraught mom out on this huge decision. My little guy is happy that he is getting his own trumpet and that he will "work up" to a nice new colored one.

Thanks again!!
Heather
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: