• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TAYLOR TRUMPET VS. BAM DOUBLE CASE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone out there know if a Taylor trumpet...with it's oversized bell and it's valve block positioning...will fit a Bam moulded double case? Also...how do the Marcus Bona cases compare to the Bam cases (better; the same; worse)? Thanks!

BW
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you don't already have a BAM case (I suspect you do), I've got a BAM single case that came with my Selmer Paris. It's a very fine, light and protective case, BUT I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one. They've got better materials than the ProTec, for instance, but at a much higher cost. The materials in the standard Bach cases are almost as good and the interior layout is superior to the BAM.

That said, I'm using my BAM in preferance to my much loved, classic Reunion Blues single bag. Nothing is hipper than a well worn RB, but the BAM offers much better protection with about the same convenience factor (when using either the shoulder or backpack straps).

Another draw back to the BAM, particuarly with a Selmer Paris logo on the side, is that I've been mistaken for a saw player in the pharmacy line. ;-(

Dave
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
No..I don't have a Bam case. I own an Eclipse and a Taylor and, as you know the Taylor bell is oversized at about 5 9/16"...plus the valve casing is placed a little further up-front than a Bach, etc. I was just curious if the Taylor would "line-up" with the injected-molded form of the Bam double case. For obvious reasons, I like to bring both horns to a gig. I have a Protec "Extreme" single case and the Taylor is a REAL tight fit because of the bell size...you REALLY have to put pressure on the lid to get it closed (which I don't like).! The Marcus Bona was recommended to me because it has adjustable foam slots that you can maneuver to fit a particular size/shape horn. I don't know the quality of their cases plus they're MORE expensive than the bam! I own a RB single bag (Taylor won't fit due to bell size) and a Super Triple...but I don't like the thought of carrying $6300 worth of horns in a "bag", if you know what I mean!!! Anyway, thanks for your help!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could help with your specific case problems, but I am not overly familiar with either of the makes you have mentioned.
At ITG 2002 I was asked by a student to purchase a case for her Taylor, the one she had wasn't large enough to accomodate the bell (hence my thinking that this might be relevant). I got talking to Andy Taylor about this problem and he recommended the Torpedo Bags, which had just come into the UK at that point. Steve Kreisel (designer and seller of the Torpedo Bags) was there so we tried out the Taylor trumpets with his bags, they all fitted beautifully. I got one of the cases and the student has been thanking me ever since!

I understand the frustration of having to carry more than one case to a gig (I normally go out with three cases and a mute bag!), but if you are looking for a hard bag to carry such a good instrument in (understandably), I would recommend the Torpedo Bags - do a search on TH and you will find some good info on them, including a post or two from Steve, if memory serves.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch, my BAM is designed for my Selmer, so it might not be representative of the generic BAMs; however, mine has NO extra room for a bell beyond 5". Now, I read somewhere that they make a multi-horn case where the horns stand upright. I haven't seen one, but that might be a better choice for a Taylor, or something like the Torpedo or Wiseman.

Dave
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Thanks! I'll check them out. But I was kind of looking for a double case to carry both. Tough find!

Dave,
The Bam double case does hold them in an upright position...just not sure about the bell accommodation part! Thanks again!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I spoke to Steve he was in the process of designing a double version - no idea whether he has managed it yet, if I hear that he has, I will post again.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Go here... http://www.edwards-instruments.com/trumpet/accessories/cases.shtml ...and check out the Bam double case. You can see how it's molded with an inset for the valve casing. That's my dilemma...along with the bell size.

Butch
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch,

When I carry my Taylor on a plane I use a Pro-pac contoured single leather case and it fits...the bell is snug but it fits. I wonder whether the double case has enough give to fit it? Its a lot cheaper than the BAM but in my experience more than adequate. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Trevor

[ This Message was edited by: on 2004-02-28 11:38 ]
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm concerned, the Walt Johnson is the superior case - and very hip! You can provide Walt with the measurements of your instrument and he will make the inside to fit your horn. This is standard procedure with the trombone case.

Flip used to offer the WJ with his Wildthing (5" super wide bell throat).

Nate
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiseman would also do custom cases, and they are amazingly protective (though also amazingly expensive).

BTW, if you own an Eclipse and a Taylor...its only fair that you undergo this dilemma:)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 9/16" is BIG. The Edwards go up to 5 1/4", so the BAM should work with that size. Perhaps you could call Edwards and ask them to measure for you. I know that my BAM case doesn't have a lot of "give" in the bell area. That's great when it's made for the horn, but not so great if it's too small. Mine is a tight enough fit that I make sure to push the main slide in before putting it in the case, otherwise it may bind.

Dave
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my schilke S32 only just fits in my BAM double. there is a bit of room round the bell, i think that the case would mould to the shape if the trumpet were left in there. i think the only problem with putting a trumpet in is the valves, the BAM case has a sort of well that the bottom valve caps fit into. my schilke valves sit just on the edge. i dont know how the taylor would take this, but i think that the case would mould to the trumpet if you left it in there for a few hours. my bottle of slide-o-mix has left its print on the mouldings. they are great cases, i use it for one trumpet everyday. if you shop around you can get them for extreamly cheap prices.

can you try before you buy?

have fun, sam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: