• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Intervals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that my teacher mentioned for me to do is memorize intervals. I'm working with 3rds now. What is the importance of this and how will it help me when I improvise? Any things in particular that I should focus on when memorizing them?
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Xeno! I did the same thing at the advise of a collegue and at least for my interpretation, it helped the ears as well as the facilities. I was not only able to color my "changes" with tension and or/resolve and it helped me get the technical thing together to pull it off. By know means am I an authority here but I can tell you that it really helped the way I heard changes and what I could do around them. Let's see what some of the other experts on the Forum have to say!
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-26 13:27, Xenoman wrote:
One thing that my teacher mentioned for me to do is memorize intervals. I'm working with 3rds now. What is the importance of this and how will it help me when I improvise? Any things in particular that I should focus on when memorizing them?

Xenoman,
I don't know if I qualify as an expert, but I think one of the implications of working on and memorizing intervals has to to with the fact that imporvised (and notated) music is principlely an intervalic or horizontal happening for wind players. Hopefully, this will be usful to you in terms of the ideas (licks?) you hear being transferred to the fingers and horn.

Here is another thought. Try playing a simple 3-note motifs of various intervals, such as F A F#, for example, and playing it around the circle of fifths. Go slowly at first and gain in speed. DON'T write this down. Use your ear and your brain. Continue to adjust and try this ideas as a basis for using different combinations of intervals, including more expansive blocks of notes and intervals.
Larry Smithee
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-29 14:34 ]
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenoman...

Larry and "Quad C" I think explained it much better than I could and they also seem to re-enforce a common thread by encouraging and impressing the importance of really HEARING what you're working towards. Thanks fellas because that's exactly what this type of exercise helped me with!

[ This Message was edited by: Pedro on 2002-03-26 16:55 ]
Halfnote

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuadC touched on a great point - USE THE PIANO! I've recently been working out of Mark Levine's "Jazz Piano Book" and it's done wonders for my ears and concept of chord changes. Also, a good ear/interval excercise at the piano is to pick an interval to work on and practice singing/playing that interval from different (random) notes. Practice singing everything - chords(arpeggios), scales, melodies, Charlie Parker solos - everything. Hope this works for you.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-29 14:35 ]
Halfnote

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuadC - can you really play a quadruple c? Just wondering.......
Speaking of the piano, has anyone checked out Arturo's latest album - he doesn't even touch the horn, but he plays the daylights out of the keyboard. And he was (is) a Dizzy disciple!!
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-29 14:36 ]
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody is interested, I have an interval study that was given to me by Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt . . . he got it from a teacher at Curtis back around the turn of the century (early 1900's).

The great thing about this study is that it's a logical approach that teaches you to hear every interval up *and* down (a major third up sounds different than a major third down) from every note in your playable range.

I have it in a Finale 2001 file, or I suppose I could scan it and put it into a Microsoft Word file. If you want it, email me privately, and I'll attach it to an email back at you.

It is no exaggeration to say that this one-page interval study did more for my ear training than any other single thing I've ever done.

Y'all have a nice day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: