• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Crispian Steele-Perkins talks baroque trumpets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought some of you would be interested in this - from Radio 3's internet archive:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/rpms/cdreview.rpm

- Starts at around 2h23, and you'll need Real Player.

Some really beautiful playing (especially the Brandenburg) and some interesting comments on baroque trumpet playing.

Jack.
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His book "Trumpet" in the Yehudi Menuhin Music Guides published by Kahn & Averill is very interesting. Most of it is about the history and evolution of the trumpet and has a lot of good photographs. He also has a lot of photos showing the correct way to hold various earlier instruments. The last quarter of the book has lots of sound advice on mutes, mouthpiece, posture and breathing, some fundamental points, articulation, and other advice. The book has 149 pages.

Andrew Tomlinson
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the book and it is excellent - just like his lessons, which I have been fortunate enough to have had a couple of.
The difference with the book is that you don't get quite the same sense of humour and you don't get to hear him play very much.
Truly one of the nicest guys I have met, in either the trumpet world or beyond.
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am excited as all get-out, he's coming here in March to give a concert and masterclass! I've read the article on him in last year's ITG Journal, and he seems like a fantastic guy!

Ben

Zeus Guarnerius
Bach C 239 w/ Blackburn pipe/slide
Weril Regium flugelhorn
Yamaha 14B4-GP
Yamaha Shew-lead
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's coming to FSU sometime this semester as well. I'm required to show up. So it'll be good I'm sure.

Nick
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the chance, go and see him - you won't regret it!

I have seen him doing a talk/recital (the same one!) many times - every time I find myself laughing as well as being very impressed by his mastery. An amazing player.
If you get the chance to talk to him, do so - a more enthusiastic trumpeter you won't find, even here on TH!

A good friend of mine said it was the best recital she had ever been to, a great compliment, especially as she is a jazz singer!
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Required to turn up? You sound as if you are attending under protest.

He is very knowledgeable about the history and evolution of the trumpet, and will probably demonstrate on a number of instruments, some he has reconstructed himself.

As far as playing is concerned, he tends be of the "stick on the face and blow school". He's not a chop doc, and I don't think it will be like a Cichowicz Masterclass. All the same, he can offer a lot of wise advice based on his wide experience. Here is a write-up about from the back cover of his book:

Crispian Steele-Perkins is a virtuoso solo trumpeter whose particular interest is to restore, play and record upon antique instruments of the trumpet family. During the first twenty years of his career he played in leading orchestras - Royal Philharmonic, Sadlers Wells Opera, English Chamber - and was in great demand in recording studios. For twelve years he was professor of trumpet at the Guildhall School of Music, London. His varied experience, practical approach and unquenchable enthusiasm in all fields of music have made him one of the world's most authorative and highly esteemed trumpet players.

I think you will actually be pleased you attended.

Andrew Tomlinson
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have shown up regardless, but it IS required for the trumpet studio to attend. I'm sure it will be great, though I'm not too familiar with his stuff, what I have heard of him sounds great.

Nick
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest - did you guys manage to make that stream work?

I'm always struck by the fantastic sound he gets in the upper register - not shrill, but soft and beautiful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: