• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Buying a horn (Holton, Blessing), need help!!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hornie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an a comeback player, and thinking of getting an Olds Ambassador, or any Olds, from Ebay, but looking elsewhere too.

Are these two worth the money? Are they good horns? Or should I stick with my Ebay plan?

Blessing Artist ML1 Series Bb Trumpet:
http://www.wwbw.com/Item/?itemno=36074

Holton Maynard Ferguson Admiral ST550 Used B Quality:
http://www.wwbw.com/Item/?itemno=129237

Thanks.
Schilkeguy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Blessing ML-1 as a intermediate horn. Meh. It doesn't respond well in the upper register and the valves leave something to be desired. Basicly, it's a copy of a bach strad. The tuning is not so good. (but then again, I'm playing on a schilke now) The ML-1 is a pretty heavy horn (about the same as a mellophone). Gave my shoulders a workout in marching band. I guess all I can say is, it's a horn. Not anything special.
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You simply can't go wrong with an Olds Ambassador. You can pick one up at 100 bucks and you'll have yourself a low-end pro horn, biggest steal of the century and they're as common as 737's. I haven't heard much about the ST-550, but the little I've heard has been good. Basically I've heard it's an excellent low cost horn that performs at the high end of that scale. However, I'd say the biggest steal would be the Ambassador. You can pick one up, replace the leadpipe if you do so wish, overhaul the valves, and refinish it any style you'd like and still come up under a grand. That'd be the route I'd take, plus the Ambassador is a nearly indestructible piece of piping.
bdev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornie, I noticed you are from NYC. I would take a trip to Dillon Music in Woodbridge NJ. They have alot of used horns and usually have some used Olds. You can bring your mouthpiece and try out as many horns as you wish. They don't pressure you to buy and will let you stay there all day if you wish. Sometimes it takes that long to find the right horn. There is nothing like "test driving" the horn you want to buy. You will pay a bit more than buying from ebay but at least you know what you're getting. You also get the backing of a reputable company. Click on the link below...

http://www.dillonmusic.com/index.html
Reynolds Emperor Trumpet (1961)
Bach Strad 37 Trumpet
Holton 25 Cornet / Bach 6
MDT Morrison Trumpet (wind controller)
Martijn Zijlmans

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Holton ST-550 is an excellent instrument for the beginning or restarting trumpeteer. You are able to make a tone very easily, and it's not so expensive. Too bad you can't see if the horn is in good condition
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: