• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Haydn Lip trills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this is my first post on the Classical forum or whatever it is. Let me know what y'all think about this one;

The other day i was practicing the Haydn on my E Flat and decided to trill the D to E trills by fingering the D 1 & 3 valves and LIPPING the tone back and forth without changing valves. Sounded pretty good!

I know this is more of a jazz shake but here's what happened: The 1 and 3 valve combination can easily play the forth line d but the next note of the trill actually produces a flattened version of the F NOT the desired E. The thing is that the F runs so flat when played 1 and 3 that it mimics the sound of the E in the very fast trill. At least on my trumpet anyway. The sound I got was closer to flawless than any other method I've tried to this date. Might be worth a try.

The top space F to G trills might work with a 1 and 3 combinations if you start the note from above (which I guess you're supposed to do anyway in that era of music). If you need to start the trill on the F first then play it 1st valve only and then punch the third down as soon as the note moves to G and leave it there for the duration of the trill. Results could be mixed.

If it works it sure saves a ton of labor on the fingers. I found it very easy to do.
maccluer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? D to E is so easy. Why not just do a normal trill for those notes? F to G I can see, but D to E seems like a lot of extra work to lip trill on. Maybe if you're trying to mimic a natural trumpet sound...
trpthax

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, sounds retarded to me too. maybe i'll start my Bb to C trills 123 and kick out, that way the C# is flat enuff it sounds like a C...... since all that valve action with my index finger might where me out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: