• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Special

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt. Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for a good trumpet to be used by a fellow musician in a Praise and Worship Band in a church in Spain.

I came across a 25 year old silver Olds Special trumpet, which was played only for about two years. The rest of the time it was in a closet.

Price 150 Euros, which is about $ 200.

I have read good things about the Olds Special from the 50's, but what about one from the 80"s?

Thanks
'02 Benge Piccolo Trumpet Blackburn pipe w/Haefner 7H*P
I mainly play British Brass and Classical Music
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Olds company went out of business in the late 70s. Reportedly quality started getting spotty at the end, but I have not personally seen it, because most of the horns I come across are 40s to 60s. I have only seen one or two horns from the 70s. There just do not seem to be very many of them around.

There are some newer horns that carry the Olds nameplate, but they are not connected to the original company in any way but the name. Their model names are not the same. The only one I can recall from this new bunch is N-10 or something such as that. Generally I have heard that the new Olds horns are not recommended, will not have been made in either Fullerton or LA, California, but I have not come across any of them.

Mike
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt. Z,

The F.E. Olds plant shut down and their assets were sold in 1979. Most of the production had come to a halt before then. So, is it possible the horn is from the 70's? Check out the serial number list on Alan Rouses "Olds Central", http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds.htm

I used to own an Olds Special from the early 70's and it was a nice playing horn. The Special was supposed to be an intermediate horn but it played very well. If it is in at least decent shape $200 is a good price. That is close to, or maybe just slightly lower, then they have been selling for on ebay. Music Stores, like Dillons have them for $595 or $695.

Mike
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are talking about the one on eBay Germany.

This seems to be one of the last of the original Olds horns made in Fullerton. The price is right if the description is accurate. Regarding the vintage, I have had a couple of Ambassadors, both L.A. and Fullerton horns. One of them was made in 1979 (the year the Olds company went out of business, if I remember correctly). It played as well as any of the others.

OTOH, I have a nice Olds Super I may be selling. PM me if you are interested.

Martin
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have at home for a trial period a 1958-59 Olds Specail trumpet form a store ( Yes I may be paying 475-500$ for it... I can't trust to buy a horn I didn't try... and buying a horn there will make me having better price on other stuff there)

It is tricolored... are every Special horn tricolored?
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise you to at least check the prices elsewhere, like eBay completed sales. Compared to what I have seen, the price is rich, as others have said.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: