• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha G.P. series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone playing any of the Yamaha Gold Plated series? They're a little more expensive than the Bach megatone, are they better?
Thanks,
1B
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-24 21:09, 1B wrote:
Anyone playing any of the Yamaha Gold Plated series? They're a little more expensive than the Bach megatone, are they better?
Thanks,
1B

I'll be honest, if you play Bachs I wouldnt go and play yamaha's. Every played a schilke? Well thats what yamahas are modeled after. From my experience and my opinion I think they're horrible mouthpieces. But this is just me. I'm also not much of an advocate of megatones. They are just extra mass, some get a result of a darker tone, but its really not enough of a difference to convince me.
If you like the feel of gold, bach makes gold plated as well, just not in megatone(at least the last time I check, which was 2 years ago). Best of luck to you in your search for mouthpieces.
Here goes my job now, if you really want to get and try a mouthpiece of supreme quality, check out GR mouthpieces, Gary or Brian or Bruce Lee. They can fit and find the mouthpiece closest to what you've requested. Yes, the prices are high, but from my experience and so many others who can attest, its worth every penny. Don't Like it? You can alyways sell it again, you're out 30 bucks? Meh, I'm sure you'll do Well!
Jon
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 16C4-GP (24 throat) is one that I am presently trying along with several others including Schilke 15B, a couple of Purviance 5*K4. Others that are getting a little play time are Schike 14B and 17D4D. I really can't give you much information except that the Yamaha is nice... I like it and it has a big sound. Comparing it to the Purviance, I would say it is a bit louder and more open sounding... where as the Purviance is less wide sounding, a bit more centered or focused, if that makes sense.

If I was playing a lead book, I would probably use the Purviance over the Yamaha... BUT those two mouthpieces are probably so different in size from each other that you couldn't really compare one against the other.

Maybe someone will jump in with comparisons based on Yamaha GPs and other brands that are basically the same size.
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been my experience that the yammies are just gussied up Schilke. I'm using a Yamaha 14bGP for legit right now (GR on the way, can't wait) and it's okay. I've got a buddy who plays on the 16c4 and sounds incredible. It's like anything else, if it works for you go for it. However, I think you'd have a higher chance of success if you bought a GR.

ChopsMcgraw
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In deed just a matter of taste. I play a Yamaha GP 16-F4 on my Getzen flugelhorn and like it. The sound is nice and rich. For me it's a better choice than the Bach flugelhorn mpc that I own.
I have a Bach 10 1/2 d Megatone for trumpet and don't like it at all. The sound is not the desired one and it feels too tight and sometimes a bit stuffy. Love my Monette MF2.
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the GP series for a while. Enough to play the 14C4, 14B4 and the 14A4a. Some of us take criticism too seriously. Somone wrote that these mouthpieces sound like dogs barking. I thought, "Well I don't want to sound like that" so I put them away. They are comfortable and have good sounds. The shank tapers are smaller and may not fit well in some horns. But nothing a litle piece of tape can't fix. I did find that I like the quicker response and more brightness out of the standard weight silver plated 14A4a and I'll be going back to it for a while. Mike Vax is sending me one of his Yamaha Signature series mouthpieces and am anxious to try it. As an aside, the Yamaha and Schilke numbers are about one off. The 14 Yamaha is more like the Schilke 13 in diameter, except the cup shapes are not the same. That means you get to try a bunch of them to find the right one. And it's hard to tell much at the muisic store when you are fresh. You gotta have played a bit to better sample how it will do for you when you need to really dig it out. I went home from Mars Music with a Bobby Shew Lead mp beacuse it sounded so great in the store. About half way through a performance in a tough Chritmas program I had to put it away. The diameter had 'shrunk' on me during the firt 53 minutes of straight "Vegas style" playing! When I lay off for a few days, there is no swelling and and I can play on it. But if I'm playing every day, I naturally swell just enough to make a mp that small too small for me. Hope this helps.

David

[ This Message was edited by: trptdaddy on 2002-03-26 13:05 ]
TGirls_Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Xeno YTR-8335RGS comes with a 16C4-GP mouthpiece. Yamaha says this mouthpiece is for orchestral playing. What I can tell you is that on that instrument, for my daughter, it made a distinct difference (compared to the bach 7c). The sound was focused yet still very orchestral even when played at a forte. She has only had the instrument for 3 days. I can't wait until she gets use to the new setup. She does find the mouthpiece a little slippery due to the gold plating, and right now finds the notes lower than low C more difficult to play (I'm sure that will change in time).

I would like to try the "Jazz" mouthpieces from the same series.
Murray

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha mouthpieces used to be based on Schilkes. While they still retain the same numbering system as Schilke, they have changed their mouthpiece line completely, and in my opinion, are now based on Bachs. They used to make a model 16 (they changed their mouthpieces at least 5 or 6 years ago) that is very close to the Bach 1 1/4C. A good mouthpiece. The 16C4 is similar to the 1 1/2C. This is still being made. The 14D4 is the Yamaha version of the Bach 5B. Also a very decent mouthpiece. They are much more consistent than Bachs, and their rims aren't too sharp. They are also inexpensive. Players that haven't tried this brand might think of them as being K Mart's version of trumpet mouthpieces, but I think that some of the models are quite good. It's too bad that they discontinued the 16.
Murray

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha mouthpieces used to be based on Schilkes. While they still retain the same numbering system as Schilke, they have changed their mouthpiece line completely, and in my opinion, are now based on Bachs. They used to make a model 16 (they changed their mouthpieces at least 5 or 6 years ago) that is very close to the Bach 1 1/4C. A good mouthpiece. The 16C4 is similar to the 1 1/2C. This is still being made. The 14D4 is the Yamaha version of the Bach 5B. Also a very decent mouthpiece. They are much more consistent than Bachs, and their rims aren't too sharp. They are also inexpensive. Players that haven't tried this brand might think of them as being K Mart's version of trumpet mouthpieces, but I think that some of the models are quite good. It's too bad that they discontinued the 16.
jkramb19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play a 16c4gp and loved it. until i played a regular bach. and then i realized how dead the sound is on the yamaha. People are getting into this whole heavyweight thing but it kills the sound. I dont think that is how it should sound. Lets face it, on the trumpet you cant put inflections in like a trombone, you cant play as fast as a saxaphone, or have as big of a range as a french horn. So why do you play it? the sound. Its supposed to be a noble stately sounding instrument, not a dark dead sounding one.
At least thats the way i feel.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Vince Lombardi
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a 16C4-GP for a while, and I really liked it, but have since moved to a Monette B2. I think that the 16C4 was very nice playing, but I thought that it was INCREDIBLY comfortable. I had never touched a Bach mouthpiece that I felt was as comfortable as the 16C4, until I picked up the Monette, and now I'm hooked on those (play them on all my horns). As for the heavyweight thing, I think it's very important to find a mouthpiece that is matched in weight to your horn. IMO, Bach Megatones are a bit too heavy for most conventional horns, but the Yamaha GP series is just about right for a heavyweight horn, like the Yamaha horns they come with. It's a good marriage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: