• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wild Thing C Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vlbcw1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently own a Bb WT and absolutely love it. Flip Oakes builds a wicked good trumpet that surpasses any Bach, Yamaha, or even Monette that I have tried (just my personal opinion, don't mean to rile anyone up). Unfortunately, the slotting and responsiveness of this horn has spoiled me and I am now having fits with my Bach C (239/25R) in orchestra gigs. Flip is shipping me a silver C WT to try out, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this beast?

Regards,

Lori
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play one (the second or third made, actually -- mine's out of the first batch made). It's really great, as you'd expect. I did get a FO (Curry) mpc or two to go with it, and they seem to help me. My teacher has commented how good the intonation is (I struggle more, but it's me and not the horn -- I have the same problem with every C I've tried, it's a mental thing) and how well the sound matches my Bb (WT) when I want, as well as getting a "classic" C sound when desired. I use mine for church, both hymns/descants and Praise Team stuff (transposition isn't my greatest skill, and sight-transposing from concert E is something I've been hesitant to try on Sunday morn) and in a local orchestra (I sub, but have played all the parts at various times). Blending has not been a problem. Or, at least enough that anybody's said anything (and there are those in the orch who definitely would!) Like the WT (Bb), it is a very versatile horn, with excellent build, fast valves, and Flip's care shipped with every one. I think you'll like it. But, you already knew that, didn't you?

Michael Anderson, of TPIN and Dana College, got the other out of the first batch though he's moved on (Flip got the third, of course). There are a number around, mostly in various orchestras (San Diego I know, don't recall the rest).

HTH - Don
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori,

I have owned 2 WT C trumpets, one in raw brass and one silver plate. They are wonderful horns and surpass pretty much everything else out there unless you want to spend $3500+ on a fullly Malone converted Strad or Yamaha. I still don't know if you'd get more value for the money with one of those.

My playing patterns changed a couple years ago and I rarely need a C anymore, otherwise I'd probably still have both of them. I currently still play one of his gold plated Bb's.

Flip is one of the best peddlers out there from all of my experience with him. He is 110% fully customer focused and you can sleep well at night knoing he will take care of you and your horn. If you wish any more details on my experiences with Flip or his products please feel free to email me.

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lori,

There's a mention of the WTC by Bent Trumpet that he played at the recent Chicago HornFest. The comments are already buried in page 3 of the lounge section but here's the link:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=17262&forum=15&5

I'm really interested in your comments once you've played the WTC, as I think you'll discover it is the best C you've ever played. That's exactly what Bent Trumpet wrote too.

Until I played a WTC a pristine vintage Benge (Burbank) was my favorite C.

I like the instrument better with the provided rounded slide. However, others prefer it with it's provided "square" slide. The instrument also comes with a regular set of valve caps and Curry Heavy CC Valve Caps with rubber grommets. Like all of Flip's horns, being the perfectionist, Flip is trying to give the artist a horn of incredible variety and flexibility to fit a specific job, room accoustics and player preferences.

Again, post and let us know how you like it!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

OOPS . . . CLARIFICATION! . . . Nowhere on the WTC will you read the word "Wild Thing!" The instrument is called the "Flip Oakes C Trumpet."

Callet did the same thing in marketing horns for the classical market. The took their great "Jazz" trumpet, slightly altered the trim and called it the "Symphonique!" Flip may leave off the words "Wild Thing" for the same reason, but the horn is a "Wild Thing" in sheep's clothing.

Enjoy!
vlbcw1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast response (no pun intended) to my post. My biggest fear is the blending issue. The principal trumpet of the orchestra that I gig with is very conscious of blend and silently thinks I'm going to be bringing a "chopped off jazzer" to the section. All I know is I am sick of fighting intonation and response issues. Currently working on the 2nd trumpet part of the Mahler 1st and finding that on the C trumpet, I am invariably a millisecond late on the trumpet calls because of the delayed response, but if I grab my Bb WT and transpose the part, BAM, it's there on time and in tune...

You guys are great for providing me this information. If I can just convince my "snooty" symphony buddies NOT to exile me from the section before they give this horn a chance, I'm home free!!!

Thanks for the C Wild Thing/Flip Oakes C Trumpet correction....somehow, having something called a wild thing in the section would just be too jarring for my orchestra mates, I'm sure.

Regards,

Lori
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Thing C, or NTC, is what I've always called mine. Flip didn't want orchestral folk, or their companions, put off by "Wild Thing" on the bell so he named it Flip Oakes C. I, naturally, had to do better than that, so NTC it became. S'funny, I've seen the NTC moniker elsewhere, so maybe it's catching on!

Check with Flip and he'll hook you up with some very fine orchestra players using their NTC without blending problems... The sound's in your mind; the NTC (or WT) just makes it easier to get it out the bell.
2LIP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori:
I was at the midwest trumpetfest with Bent Trumpet also. I had my first chance to blow all the Flip Oaks horns that were there including the C, Cornet, Bb-silver, Bb-Gold and flugel. I am not a "big" C player, and have played C trumpet a handful of times. This was the finest C trumpet that I have played, and this is my limited experience. The cool thing about Flip's horns is that you can "color" them or blend them with anything. I tried them with a couple of different MP's and you can really get them to dark or bright with the right MP/horn combo, what you hear in your head, and your air. If you are worried that it will be to bright, go with gold. It tends to "warm" the sound a bit more due to the double plating (silver then gold).

Don't let others dictate what works best for you. Find the horn you like and tweak the sound to match using the right MP. That is my suggestion.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Mitch "The LIP"
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori -

Tell your orchestra buddies that I said hi.

By the way, how's the weather?

- Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: