• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn V1 on E-Bay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Eyes up

Firstly let me say I have no interest in the trumpet but there is a V1 on E-Bay for $899 BIN. Looks like a bargain!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3708343369&category=16214

Please let it go to a player.

Regards

Trevor
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor, it does look great. This seller has had a couple of other great looking horns on ebay including a Schilke B5 that I was interested in at one time. Too many horns and not enough money.

Mike
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one that you could buy at $900:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3707309685&category=16214

I know the seller and the horn and can confirm that it's in "mint" condition. Anyone looking for a V1 should consider this. It's been on Ebay three or four times without a single bid.

Dave
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I own the Sterling silver belled V1, I've play-tested all three models. If I had the money and needed a horn, I would have no hesitation going for that Rose belled one. Not only do they look just gorgeous, but they have a thick, slightly dark, incredibly rich sound.

The top one also looks great, though the seller doesn't mention whether or not it includes the extra slide and valve weights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the 900 bucks, I'd nab it right now. They're great horns.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great looking horn. I always liked the look of the Rose bell. The seller recently bought a Selmer Chorus 80J

Mike
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the seller of the rose brass horn and he is a straight shooter.

Mike
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I never ceased to be amazed with trumpets. I thought that trumpet (and the rose brass bell one) would have just jumped off the page, but amazingly not so!!

How many times on this forum does a student ask for advice on an upgrade from the Yamaha 2335 (nothing wrong with those) and yet 2 really good professional horns sit there for little more than the price of a new intermediate horn?

If I were a teacher I know which one I would want my students to play..and, heck, one of them is even bright silver plate.

Regards

Trevor

[ This Message was edited by: camelbrass on 2004-03-02 21:55 ]
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it'll sell this time (the rosebrass one) because someone has a bid set to post tomorrow. It'd still be a good deal at $925.

Dave
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rose brass one's mine now!
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good goin' Daff. I think you'll be very happy with that horn. Dave is a fine seller and that horn is like new.

Give us a report after you try it out.

Dave
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing Dave. He says it'll ship tomorrow, so it'll likely be into next week before it arrives. Geez, I bought it purely on reputation. Never even seen one in person, but what the heck! That's what makes the anticipation even better.

Have a good one.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good buy Daff. You will be amazed how easy it is to get a gorgeous sound out of it with almost no effort.

Congrats!
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rose-brass V1 arrived three weeks ago and I thought I’d share my two cents worth. I bought it on a whim, never having even touched one and paid $1,025 for it on eBay. (A Forum poster knew the seller and the horn.) It’s in fine shape and I understand that it’s merely a few months old.

As preface, my only other horn is a ’74 LB Eterna, (a whole different animal) and I use a GR65.6M Butcher mouthpiece, and occasionally the GR65.6C.

Here are my observations and impressions . . . . . .

Standard Accessories: The horn comes with a two-handled double case that features a narrow compartment for stuff and three mouthpiece holes. It also comes with a separate pouch containing a round tuning slide, a set of heavy valve bottom caps.

Optional Tuning Slide: The optional round tuning slide opens the blow, but I prefer the standard ‘D’ slide which I sense is more compatible with the inherent character of the horn and its design. For me, the rounded slide resulted in less control and a loss of character. The horn produces a certain ‘hum’ that is diminished with the rounded slide. The horn slots/controls better, for me, with the D slide.

Valve Bottom Caps: Interesting to toy with, but I find them unnecessary. They might help take some of the edge off if you’re playing with a pea-shooter mouthpiece, but they’re not for me.

Valves: The valve throw is shorter, maybe just 1/32”-1/16” or so, but noticeable. I like that. They work fine, but are no match for the lightening quick Getzen valves, (but then again, neither are my fingers.)

Resistance: Because my Eterna is a .468, I am used to a less resistant horn, yet I still love this horn and have no problem that the bores on my horns are not alike. They are different horns with entirely different characters, and I’m cool with that. I find a large bore horn easier to play, but don’t find the resistance in the V1 is a problem. It is inherent in the character of its design and is aptly tuned to its handling. It would be interesting to play one of these with maybe a slightly larger bore. I just wonder if it would lose its character. In comparing it to a friend’s gold Shew Z, the Z seemed a bit lighter and freer blowing.

Sound: The sound is addictively rich from both ends of the horn. In comparing the V1, Eterna, and Shew, although they were distinguishably different from the driver’s seat, the more dramatic difference was from the receiving end. I sat at point blank in front of my friend as he maneuvered through three and half octaves on each of the horns. Although the Shew had a nice blow and easy handling, from the receiving end, the V1 really stood out. Rich, controlled, colorful sound. I was looking for a horn that would help me produce rich, fat, mellow sounds and would hang with me when I went upstairs. It responds very well to those requirements and yet can really be lit up when I want to take ‘Misty’ up an octive.

High Note Stability: With my mp cup and chops setup, my range tops out around E or puny F above C. Although it is a bit easier for me, a recreational player, to achieve my high notes on the Eterna, (possibly due to its free blow), I have superior control and produce much richer, more rounded sounds above the staff, with more stability on the V1. This is great. My high stuff on the Eterna can be bright and edgy in a legit environment.

Color and character: The V1 is impressively responsive in dramatic transitioning from high, loud, powerful playing to soft, smooth, and mellow. In all cases, the horn produces a consistency of richness that, again, as a recreational player, I am very impressed with. It is very easy to speak emotions through the horn.

Asthetics: I’m not one for glitzy looking horns and was a bit reluctant about the tri-color issue. That fear was quickly abated. I’d never seen rose brass. It is beautiful. As a mater of fact, if the gold brass segments were gold, then that could be absolutely stunning.

Bottom Line: I plan to visit Kessler’s soon to try other configurations and will possibly change to one that might suit me better, but otherwise, unless I come across something that really blows it away, it’s a keeper!

Have a good one,

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Daff on 2004-03-31 11:11 ]
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review. I'm glad the transaction worked well for you and the horn may find a home.

When you try other V1s, be sure to try the yellow-brass bell. That's my favorite. I like that in silver or gold plate. You seem to like warm, but take your friend again and listen to the overtones.

Dave
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V1s are great. I like both the rose brass and the sterling silver models most.
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I tried the gold plated yellow bell with the reverse leadpipe. You were right, since I'm used to a large bore horn, the blow on that one was more suitable for me and worked nicely in combo with the standard D tuning slide. I'm going to compare the same leadpipe configuration with the rosebrass bell (not in stock), then pick between the two and sell my rosebrass, standard config V1. I guess it was silly buying it without ever giving it a toot, but it has been fun horsing around with it. The V1's are a very nice line.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you should get your money back out. You got it at a good price. No telling which bell you'll prefer. I'm partial to the yellow brass, but either is good.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: