• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn V1 Vs UMI Benges

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_FELIX C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends;
I have hear here the atributes of new Conn V1 trumpets. Im a raving fan of Vintage Benges, an Im very lucky to play an L. A. model in excellent shape. My first trumpet was an 3x+ of 1987, its a good horn but the LA is 10 times better. This V1 of today can be Better or same as other Benges that UMI manufacture,Are this V1 as last L.A. Benges Umi craft in early 80's. How you compare. all ideas are well received

=
Benge 3X+
Benge 3 Flugelhorn
Schilke 14F4
I use my Personal Blend of Valve Oil
Benge Loyalist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UMI Benge can't compete against any top-of-the-line trumpets. It is really sad to have seen UMI demote the fine Benge name to that of a simple 'brand' marketing strategy. Today's so-called Benge isn't even of the Benge design.
Benge Bb 5x ml #8162 Burbank 1969 gold
Benge C 2c+ mlp #7481 Burbank 1968 silver
Benge D/Eb ml #6579 Burbank 1965 raw brass
Benge Flugel 5 ml #17708 Los Angeles silver
Stomvi piccolo, m1
Boston 3 star NE Plus Ultra (1912)
E.D.Lewis
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a UMI Benge - Leonore 90B - through my college days (early-mid '90's) and thought it was a decent horn. Everyone else around me was playing Bach and I never had a problem blending. The intonation was great and it was a heavy horn so you could play balls-out without worrying about the sound breaking up. I really dug the valves too, very smooth. My teacher and other pro's from the Cleveland area always had good things to say after I'd ask them to try the horn. The one comment they all had was that the sound lacked a certain "something," which is where I think they differ from the V1. The V1 is a little darker, a little more character in the sound - especially with the #50 leadpipe. You won't find top professionals playing them (or at least very few) but the UMI Benge's are not bad horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: