• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rim Scars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetEnthusiast1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a senior in high school and participate in pretty much all of my schools instrumental groups (wind ensemble, jazz band, marching band, orchestra, and the musical) as well as practicing daily. I'm starting to notice an outline of where the mouthpiece rests on the red of my upper lip. Don't get my wrong, I don't place the mouthpiece only on the red part of the lips, it's about 50/50 for me, but the only spot I can see the outline is on the red of the upper lip. Anyways, the tissue seems to be permanantly swollen (like right after you play, but all the time). Just curious if this is something to worry about. Any input is greatly appreciated.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a callous. I used to get them when I played with too much pressure. If you plan to keep playing, then go to the Balanced Embouchure forum too see how to get out of the box you're in.

Good luck,

Dave
Mean Liberal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your description sounds a lot like my embouchure, though it's hard to tell without actually seeing you. Though it looks from the outside that you are playing 50/50 top to bottom, your upper lip may be rolled out to the point where the rim of the mouthpiece rests in the red. This is how my embouchure is, and I am currently working with my teacher to keep my top lip rolled in more so I'll be "out of the red." This may or may not be your situation, but either way, you should consult your teacher (or a teacher if you don't have one) about getting you out of the red.

Bb Trumpets: Bach Stradivarius 37, Mt. Vernon Bach Mercury

Mouthpiece: Schilke 11
MarchardFerguson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Callouses are GOOD!, it means that your flesh is tougher but not the inner part which vibrates.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-03-04 01:36, TrumpetEnthusiast1 wrote:
I'm a senior in high school and participate in pretty much all of my schools instrumental groups (wind ensemble, jazz band, marching band, orchestra, and the musical) as well as practicing daily. I'm starting to notice an outline of where the mouthpiece rests on the red of my upper lip. Don't get my wrong, I don't place the mouthpiece only on the red part of the lips, it's about 50/50 for me, but the only spot I can see the outline is on the red of the upper lip. Anyways, the tissue seems to be permanantly swollen (like right after you play, but all the time). Just curious if this is something to worry about. Any input is greatly appreciated.

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with having a mark on your lips from playing. Almost every player that plays a lot has them. In fact, I can't remember ever meeting or working with a professional player that didn't have a mark on his lips (usually just the upper lip, but even that can very amongst different players).

Don't worry about pressure. Practice and develop correctly and pressure will take care of itself. And forget about your lips - their only purpose is to vibrate. Herbert Clarke told these things to his student Claude Gordon, Claude Gordon told these things to his student John Mohan, and now I'm telling them to you!

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sweat the callouses, everybody gets them.

I've had them for almost 30 years, and when I lay off for a while they start to peel off in the shower and my lips are like a "babys butt" they are so smooth. But thats when I have to be extra careful playing until I build the callous back up again.

I think its just the way certain peoples body chemistry is. I callous on my feet, hands and anyplace else that something is constantly touching my skin.

Chris
TrumpetEnthusiast1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the input guys.
Asian Man
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if callouses are good then why did satch scrape them off? cause they were that bad?
7 rims (Curry)
www.myspace.com/whistlingbarofsoap
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louie got very, very bad callouses. They where so thick and bad that they affected his vibrating surface under the rim. There where times when he couldn't get a note out because of them.

Chris
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, whether they're good or bad depends on their degree, I suppose. Interesting...

Dave
leadlad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miles Davis definately had them. Check out the picture on the cover of "Miles, the autobiography" by Miles Davis and Quincy Troupe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: