• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Haven't played in 7 years! Advice on Who Knows What. Trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redkitchen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably heard this one before. Dropped out of intensive music program after 10 years of playing. Stupid Stupid move in retrospect, but what are you going to do? Anyhow, 7 years later, I actually want to play again...for enjoyment. The professional thing obviously will never happen now, but I still want to play. Both of my Bach horns have been evidently passed on to other people in the family or tossed which happens I suppose.

Any recommendations on horns to buy would be appreciated. So far I've considered the Getzen 590S Capri, Bach TR300, TR 200. I've called locally for pricing which is a joke it seems after seeing the discounted on-line prices. And how difficult is it to get back into the swing after so many years? Wondering if I'm in for a surprise, disappointment, and if I just shouldn't start with a beginner horn despite it all.
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the TrumpetHerald, and welcome back to playing!

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with most student horns. If you apply yourself, I think you'll find yourself close to original playing form within a year ... which means (if I read your post correctly) that you'll be outgrowing a student horn pretty quickly.

There are a lot of possibilities, here are a few: You can often get used Strads for fairly reasonable prices on ebay. Olds horns have a good rep. I've never spent a lot of time playing Olds trumpets, but I love my Olds cornets. (Rich Willey "BeboppinFool" swears by Olds horns.) Kanstul makes some great horns (I just bought a Kanstul Chicago, it's a great complement to my Bach). And (dare I say it?) the ZeuS G gets good reviews for playability, but I've never even seen one live and in person. I'm sure my fellow TH'ers will have lots to add to this. Check out, for instance, Tom Turner's comments in the first post of this thread -- some good stuff in there --
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=7744&forum=7

The key question is, what's your budget?

Get a good horn, but not super high end (no Monettes or Wild Things ... yet), and use the rest of your budget for lessons!

Keep us posted!

Steve

Save the Bandwidth!

[ This Message was edited by: swthiel on 2004-03-14 11:58 ]
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look around a bit, you can still locate a new Kanstul built French Besson Classic. This is a very fine horn that comes with both rounded and square shaped tuning sildes, and both regular and heavy valve caps. I have one with a Najoom lead pipe, and it is every bit as good as a good Bach Strad. AND a Besson cost about a third less than a new Bach.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
redkitchen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll have to check that one out. Also, the latest one I heard about was the Getzen 700S... intermediate, but nice (assuming). I'd like to have something that's not exactly beginning, but then the Bach Strad is really pushing it if I'm not sure I will keep playing for years...and I want something that I would feel comfortable with our daughter using in about 7 years (big maybe) in case she wants to play the trumpet, too. Also on the lookout for what basic books I should buy without spending a small fortune... scales for intermediate and some great classical sheet music... assuming I have some ability left! I guess I'll find out. I know it will take much time. Thanks so much.
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought ... get in touch with PC King -- she's a Kanstul dealer based in central PA. I think that if you explain your situation, your goals, and your cost target, she can steer you to an appropriate horn in the Kanstul product line. She's a fine person, too!

You can reach her by PM as "PiCK Kanstul". (She also posts as "pair of kings" when she's not posting as a dealer.)

(I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with the other horns that have been mentioned in this thread, I just have no personal experience with them!)

Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what you're looking for the 700S would be a great trumpet. The price is definately right and yet you get a very nice horn. Although, like I have said time and time again, just start trying everything you can get your hands on. The only way to really find what is right for you is to test the trumpets out for yourself.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you were used to playing on a pro line Bach, you'd probably be disappointed and frustrated with a student horn or even an intermediate horn. Coming back after a long layoff is likely to be frustrating enough as it is.

If you can get together the cash, I'd go for a new Strad, Kanstul, Yamaha, or Conn. You can pick any of the above for under $1,500. You can always get at least 50 percent of that back on eBay if necessary.

Another alternative is the used horn route. There are always solid horns at good prices on eBay. There is some risk, to be sure. But if you ask a lot of questions and stick with the major brands, including vintage Olds, you'll be okay. Figure on putting some dough into getting a used horn cleaned and tweaked.

The main thing is to find a horn that plays as well as you remember your old horns playing so you can pick up where you left off.

[ This Message was edited by: jhatpro on 2004-03-15 18:15 ]
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with the above suggestions on horns. As far as literature goes Arban's is still the basic bible.

You also might look into cornets. They seem to be making a comeback.

Best of luck, welcome to TH and keep us posted.
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, sometime I'm gonna get all my thoughts together at once!

First, to be clear, when I suggested Olds, I meant the vintage horns one can often find on ebay. I understand that the brand name has been resurrected, but those old Olds horns are what I had in mind. There's and Olds Recording for sale for $600 in the TH marketplace right now (OK, posted march 12, may not still be there!)

Second, a used horn can be an excellent choice!

Scattered in Cincinnati,

Steve

redkitchen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm a little weary to buy on ebay even though I'm actually a PowerSeller myself (not under the same name though). I know what I sell is what I say it is, but have had some bad experiences when buying. What I sell is a far cry from vintage horns or trumpets. I've done a search for some of the names mentioned here, and on other posts, and have found some great variety...just wondering about the risk factor of ebay.

[ This Message was edited by: redkitchen on 2004-03-15 19:47 ]
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In view of the circumstances you have described, if you can't locate a Besson, which I still think is your best bet, I second the suggestion to contact Priscilla King at Pick Music. She is a very nice, honest, and knowledgeable person, a fine trumpet player and teacher. She can steer you to a Kanstul horn you will be very happy with. And she has a reputation for working with people until they find just the horn that suits them. Kanstul made the Besson I'm playing and builds a very high quality horn.

Also the Arbans is still one of the best all purpose method books one can purchase.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

I too am a come back player.

A lot has changed and nothing much has changed.

The Getzen 700 is a nice trumpet.Nice warm tone to it.If you cant swing that get the Kanstul 610 that Tom Turner and I are raving about.You can get one for about $450 now and its a great little horn.

You can still get some bach strads on ebay for $600-800.Just look at the sellers reviews and number of sales and ask all the right questions and you should be fine.

If your looking for a neat little trumpet at a great price I have a intermediate King 601 with the bach style 1st valve throw.It has very few dings in it but someone left it sitting up wet and the laquour is streaked a bit.Still looks ok just not a perfect horn.I can let that one go for $165 if you would like to get started again.I also have a Vintage King liberty that is a proffesional grade horn that has been totally refinished for $365.

Good luck and take care.
redkitchen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the posts to my question. I actually went for the Getzen 700S Eterna 2 from a shop out of the Maryland Area that also has a huge website. I thought I had the cheapest price possible at $775 out of Canada, but then I just researched a little more and received an email quote for $625 at this Maryland shop that is pretty popular. I had also tried about 3 other websites for quotes but they were all higher than $625. I thought that was a pretty great price. Arrived today and I can actually do slurred scales, but cannot hold a note to save my life. This should be fun. Thanks again for the posts!
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Glad you've found a horn you like! Keep us posted on your progess.

Steve

Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is thanks for the business. I hope you enjoy the 700S. Enjoy

Brett Getzen
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brett,

I bought a 700S a couple years ago when I came back after a 20+ year layoff. I had Bob Reeves do a precision valve alignment last year and wow! My 700 with the PVA is extremely free blowing and is nearly as easy to play as a $2600+ Wild Thing. The 700 cost me $679 and the alignment $150, so for less than $850 I have a trumpet that is almost as good as they get. Thanks for making the 700!

Blaine
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
tptplayah

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I am a new "comeback" player and I just purchased a new Yamaha Bobby Shew 6310Z. Man, it's really a nice horn. Plays sweet n warm and when you put the coals to it, it screams. I paid under $900 for it and would do it again. Look at them on the Yamaha website and you can get all the specs. you want.

Does anyone else play a Bobby Shew horn and what do you think of it? Just curious, because I never see anything about this fine horn mentioned.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: