• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 117 backbore?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudas1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question:

Has anyone every tried a mouthpiece with a (Bach) 117 backbore, (which is a very open backbore most often used in conjuction with the piccolo trumpet for intonation and resistance, etc..)

I have found, strangely enough that this backbore work very well on the big horn (Bb and C) as well. (I have recently tried a 11/2 C with a 117 b.bore) I also have heard that Mike Sachs (Cleveland Orch) has used this combination of mouthpiece. I dont know if he does currently. I tends to be quite a bright, zingy kind of sound, but it sure works it terms of projection and volume.

Any thoughts?

Thanks-
trumpetal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just acquired a Bach 1B with a 117 backbore for use with my Bb. It's very bright for a deep, large diameter cup. I'm not acclamated to it yet, so I can't comment on range and endurance, but it has a definitely appealing sound quality.
Murray

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 117 BB is actually an enlarged version of Bach's 24, or symphony BB. The reamer has a line, where the technician should stop reaming, if the backbore is to be a 24. If not, he (or she, this is a politically correct forum now, isn't it?) just keeps pushing up to the next line, the 117. Yes, it's quite big. If the technician isn't careful, then it can really be huge. You see, they are all different. I have one done by Stork that is absolutely tremendous. Unplayable, by myself, anyway. They work great on the 7E. I think that they are too big for a regular mpc., but that's just me. It wipes me out, especially if I have to keep playing loud for long periods.
rudas1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mouthpiece that I like is a Greg Black 1/2C. It has a #27 throat, so perhaps that makes up for the large backbore (close to a #117) Thats interesting that its a larger version of the #24 backbore, it makes sense. We'll see how the endurance works out.

Thanks for the replies-todd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: