• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

B&S Challenger C Trumpet??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjbtrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at C Trumpets and this one intrigues me? I have played Bach, Schilke, Stomvi, Selmer, Yamaha and Kanstul C's and I still haven't found one that I have fallen in love with. I have a Selmer at work, but I can't use it for gigs outside of work, so I need to buy one. I had a Yamaha but sold it, didn't really like it too much. Let me know if anyone out there has played one of these horns and how they felt about it? Thanks in advance.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never played one, but i think Woodwind Brasswind sells 'em and they would ship you one on trial. Along with a few other horns of whatever brand you so chose. Im not sure exactly the limits of their policy, check out their website:
http://www.wwbw.com

Stuart
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 3136TC B&S C with a gold brass bell. I for many years played a Custom Shop Bach and it played very will. But IT was just worn beyond repair. I tried a B&S and it was acutally a better sound and intonation than the Bach. I got B slides for it and it is very good B flat also. It was a lot cheaper that any other C for the money.
kesslermusic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stock the Challenger II C trumpet with the Goldbrass bell in silverplate. They are a very Bach style horn. This is also a very rich, warm sounding horn.

Most people who try out C's in my store prefer the Conn V1 C trumpet sighting that they feel it is free-er blowing then the others I stock (B&S, Conn 51B-SP, Benge 90C-SP).
E.D.Lewis
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, but perhaps you just need to spend more time on the higher pitched horn? If you primarily play Bb then the C can take some getting used to. I only say this because in your post you mentioned nearly every commercial manufacturer of trumpets out there. If you haven't found one from that list that suits you then you may need to jump up to the next price bracket and consider a custom C tpt (ie. Callet, Wild Thing, Monette, Blackburn, etc...).

That being said, I have tried the B&S C tpt. and found it be a decent horn. Intonation was good, sound was solid, bold and rich, and the blow wasn't too stuffy. It was a heavy horn though and I found the response to be a bit slow and the over-all feel was very rigid. These horns are built like tanks and handle like one! Although from what I see on the disconvery channel these days modern tanks actually handle quite well!? I don't know which Yamaha C's you've tried but I really like the Xenos. If you haven't yet, give those a try. And FWIW, I found the Conn V1 to be very bright in sound.

Good luck in the hunt.
pjbtrumpet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your help, I have found it to be valuable. E.D. you could be right, maybe I should spend more time on the C, more Concone studies, haha. I had a YTR-741, I think that was the model, I could never really get comfortalbe with it, or maybe that is just the nature of the beast. People compliment me on my Bb sound, but on C I feel like I haven't gotten over the hump, I record myself playing and it seems like I just can't get the sound that I want on C. It might not be the horn, it might be me. I talked to Jack Kanstul today and he gave me some really good ideas on some things so it looks like I might be heading up to Phoenix to try every horn he has in the shop, and it is right next to In and Out Burger, could be a double win for me.
Once again, thank you all.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, large bore with reverse leadpipe, blows great, and for the money it canīt be beaten.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: