• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Phaeton Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_gnocchi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys: Just got one of these last week. I love it. Very different from any others I have had. I know Wayne Tanabe designed and built it....what did he model it after? Old Besson, Bach, Kanstul, what?

Not that that is important, since it sounds great and seems very well built.....but, just curious.
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Phaeton was a new luxury sport sedan from VW.
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one at the local music emporium and was impressed with the blow although the sound is a bit different than what I'm used to from either a Bach or a Yamaha. It was quite responsive and easy to get around on. Mostly, I was surprised by the discounted price of about $1200 for a new one with a brushed lacquered finish. What put me off, quite frankly, was the quality of the finish.
_gnocchi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave: Interesting...mine is silver and the finish seems as good as any other big-name horn I've had (Schilke, Benge, Back, Calicchio, Selmer, and Getzen).....and the "fitted" gold finger buttons are a nice touch...oh, and one of the best valve actions I have ever tried!
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at the Phaeton. A very interesting looking trumpet to say the least. I personally know Wayne and that definately looks like it has his touch.

I found one interesting thing on the website thought. The valve caption has a line that says "24kt plated heavy finger buttons for quick valve action". Now how would heavy finger buttons improve the valve action? Granted, they could make the down stroke quicker, but wouldn't the added weight make the up stroke slower? Yes, unless you added a stiffer and strong spring to the piston. That would speed up the up stroke then, but make the down stroke more difficult. I don't know, it may be just me, but that doesn't make any sense.
_gnocchi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man...don't know, but alls I know is the valves are one of the best I have ever tried, bar none!
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's the gold plating that makes them faster?

Advertising hyperbole.

I would want to think that any of Wayne's horns would be good enough that they shouldn't have to resort to this kind of "circus barker" pitch to sell 'em.
Seinman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't these made in Taiwan?
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gnocchi,

My comment regarding the finish work was specific to the brushed, lacquered finish and i should have specified that. The brushing or scratching was in inconsistent directions around the slides which is distinctly not the case with the Selmer 80J and Kanstul Wayne Bergeron horns I have tried with the same finish. The store had three of the Phaetons with this finish and they all exhibited this "quality".

Seinman,

My understanding was that they were being built to spec under contract by a manufacturer in Germany. Don't know who. B&S are in Germany, right? I wonder if it's them?

Dave
_Handballsteve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo, I am wondering if the "inconsistency" you refer to is the different finish on the bracings. They are finished in an Antique brass look and are different looking by design (for a little contrast I guess). I have one and it is an excellent playing trumpet. I acquired it while on my recent horn safari from a fellow TH poster. I thought I found my dream horn until I bought a 1969 Bach 37. The Bach fits me better and gets the sound I really love. Now I have 4 great trumpets. That is too many for me to have sitting around (I am a family man) so I am going to sell my LA Bange 3 MLP and the Phaeton. Anyone may make an offer if interested. Haven't got round to listing them yet.
Steve
1962 Getzen Eterna Cornet LB
1973 Schilke 3 valve Pic.
Seinman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo,

I was interested in one of these a few months ago when Springfield Music had them on sale. I emailed them about where they were made and he said to quote: "Manufactured in Taiwan, designed/inspected by Wayne Tanabe in Chicago."

I was surprised by that, even though I had heard it before somewhere.

Ron
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron (Seinman). I thought I had read that they were manufactured in Germany, but your source may be better. If it's Jupiter, who I undeerstand to be the largest in Taiwan, they certainly have the capability of making some good horns.

Handballsteve, my reference to the finish was regarding the "brushing" or "scratching" not being consistent in coverage and direction all over the horn, but especially on the slides.

It played well and was easy to get around the horn. The sound is somewhat unique and difficult to describe. I would imagine that with the bracing, that its projection is probably prettty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: