• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New horn purchase

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm clearing out my cache of horns and want to buy one that will last me forever. Please help me decide what to try and what to avoid. So many of you have more experience then I do and I don't want to make a mistake again and buy a horn that's not right for me.

I know for sure that I want a standard weight trumpet. No heavy-weights, too much air is needed and I ain't got it. I am and will forever be a sectional player, so I don't need any sizzling lead trumpet sounds. I want fullness, good center, great projection and solid tone. It has to be very open in all registers.

I want to use it for concert band and jazz band, so it has to be an all-around horn. It will mostly be used for concert band. I am not a pro, or sometimes even that good. (But I am getting better!) Just a middle-aged lady who's having lots of fun playing the trumpet.

I will have around $1300-$1500 dollars to spend. What should I try? What should I pass on? Thanks for the help!
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 37, Kanstul 1500, Yamaha 8335, Getzen (don't know model), Conn Vintage One. All can be had new for under $1500, BUT the Yamaha and Bach may take more shopping to beat your $1500 mark, but it's doable. What part of the country are you in? Some one might suggest a dealer with a great selection. It'd be worth a long drive to visit such a dealer or attend a regional trumpetfest.

Dave
bdev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say try a Schilke "S" series or a Conn Vintage 1. You would have to find a used Schilke to fit your budget but there are some good ones out there if you look for them. If you want new then try out the Conn V1.
Reynolds Emperor Trumpet (1961)
Bach Strad 37 Trumpet
Holton 25 Cornet / Bach 6
MDT Morrison Trumpet (wind controller)
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live the the suburbs of Chicago. I work right by American Music in Carol Stream, but their horns all look used. I want to buy brand new. I live over 2 hours from wwbw. That would be a haul. Otherwise, there's no other shop that I'm aware of that would have a large selection.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want to try out some Getzen Customs you could make the hour to hour and a half drive up to the factory for a tour and some play testing.

We have three base models of Bb Custom Series trumpets. Take a look at http://www.getzen.com and see if there is anything you would like to try. If so, feel free to email me and I can set something up. While we can't sell the trumpet directly to you, we could arrange to sell it through one of our dealers.

Brett Getzen
mark125
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth the two hour drive to wwbw.
They have new strad model 37's in silver for 1499.00. A little less for laquer.
They may still have the 50 dollar mail in rebate. The last catalog had the rebate offer in it.
Try Jack Kanstul at kanstulmusic.com. He will let you try out the trumpet. You pay the shipping both ways if you want to send it back and not buy it. The cct-900S might be a good one for you. They are around 1100 dollars.

Mark
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a B1, new, used, make a deal somewhere
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I will try some Getzens. I originally owned a 700SP when I first started playing. There is a Getzen dealer about 20 minutes from me (PM Music in Aurora.)
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the local dealer doesn't have what you are looking for feel free to contact me for some trials at the factory. A factory tour is a part of deal if you would like.

Brett
Lo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I would really go for the Kanstul or a Getzen. I have a Kanstul and love it! Even though i'm not too great of a player, it is open, good worksmanship and projects extremely well. Depending on what model of Getzen, you can get a great deal.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what you describe you're looking for I would recommend a Custom Series Model #3051. That trumpet is designed to be a great all around trumpet. It comes standard in .459" bore with a square crook tuning slide, a #125 (similar to a Bach 25) leadpipe and a #172 (similar to the Bach 72) heavy gold brass bell. In addition to that it has an option of a reverse leadpipe and an available round bend tuning slide. You can also get it with lever waterkeys, a first slide trigger, .462" large bore valve set, plus your choice of either lacquer, silver, or gold finishes.

Check out http://getzen.com/trumpet/bbcustom/ for more info.

Brett
musicalmason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get a new benge for less than 1500, it is a bach copy, but if you find a good benge itll beat a lot of the normal 180s's. I think anyway.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try everything you possibly can.

There is no right trumpet for everybody, but there could well be a right trumpet for you.

Whatever you do, if possible take Brett up on his offer of a tour. I really wish I was close enough to do likewise!! How can I justify a trip to the States purely for that? Not sure I will be able to write that one off as a legitimate trip, even if I tried to get it included in my "professional development" package.

Have fun playing as many trumpets as you can, if one speaks to you - that could well be the one for you. I have played masses of trumpets, very few have really felt comfortable to play, luckily my main Bb is one of the ones that has done. I tried loads in the shop and came away with this one, which I have since had a Najoom leadpipe attached and it has improved it even more.

There will always be people saying you must "buy Bach," "Schilke is the only one you should play," "Kanstuls or nothing" or similar - take all these posts with a huge pinch of salt. The fact that the posters of these have found an instrument which works for them is great, but it does not mean that those instruments will work best for you as well.
For what it is worth, I would recommend trying;
Bach - as many as you can!
Yamaha Xeno
Conn Vintage One
Schilke
Getzen
B&S Challenger II
Kanstul
F. Besson

These are in no particular order, I have my favourites, but it is your choice. When I help my advanced students purchase a new trumpet I give them a similar list and allow them to try as many as possible, preferably with me there. I am usually stunned how quickly they reject one or other make or model. It just doesn't seem to work for them.

Have fun choosing
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could agree with that more. I have said it time and time again. You have to try before you buy. There is not a trumpet that works for everyone. Granted, my opinion as to the best trumpets out there is a bit biased, but even I will admit that our trumpets are not perfect for every player. No matter we as manufacturers do we will never be able to build the "magic" trumpet that is loved by everyone. I can't expect you to buy a Getzen. All I ask is that you keep us in mind and try one for yourself. As someone on here once said, after that our trumpets will sell themselves.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet_Mom - all good suggestions. A 2 hour drive to WWBW is nothing. I made a three hour drive to buy my Kanstul 1500. Also, if you get a chance to take a factory tour of Getzen and try their horns then I would go for it. What a great opportunity to try some fine, and I think underated, horns.

Mike
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I"ve tried several Xeno's and Bach 37 and 43's. Nothing hit me as anything special - except one Bach 37 once. It was beautiful. I wasn't in the market at the time. And I've never played one since that had that "Bach" sound. I like the sound of the Getzen tour. I played some Getzen's a couple of years ago (900's I think) and thought for the money one could buy a nice horn. I also tried a B&S Challenger II. I liked that one. But I plan on playing many many models and being more selective so that the trumpet I pick gets me the sound that I want. Not real bright, but not real dark, and holds steady in the upper ranges. I sold my 6310Z and if I can sell my flugel soon, I'll be going shopping! (I also have a Fender Powerhouse Strat. Any opening bidders on that?)
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd make the two-hour drive.
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also keep an eye on ebay and remember the old's horns. There are still good sellers using ebay who are trumpet players first and formost and will let you drive by to try a horn or return it, same applies to the market place here.
Mark
_FELIX C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear trumpet Mom;
I use to play Benge trumpets, If you find an well mantaine Los Angeles model consider that, Step away from Newer Umi Benges. Also consider Kanstul. Their Chicago Line that clones the older Chicago Benge is a classic all around horn. If you looks for modern designs looks at Kanstul signature 1500 series. They are great horns. plese chek the folowing links:
http://www.kanstulmusic.com
http://www.kanstul.net

woodwind and brasswind sells kanstul Chicago series at 1481.
Please also check with Gerry Lopez
at Dillons music at 732-634-3399
he will help you very friendly and respectfully, the sells kanstul,Bach etc.
http://www.Dillonmusic.com

GIARDINELLI 6C & 6M MOUTHPIECE
BACH 3CFL MOUTHPIECE
THE PEACE OF GOD BE WITH ALL OF YOU

[ This Message was edited by: FELIX C on 2004-03-17 11:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: FELIX C on 2004-03-17 11:57 ]
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to try a Kanstul or two out, give Pair of Kings a call. She ships all the time. Hey, at least call her and talk with her. She'll take good acre of you!
http://www.pickmusic.net

Be sure to tell her ConnMan sent you!

Kanstul 1600 "WB" w/ Kanstul two-piece B3C & S72 BB
Connstellation 38B
Kanstul 925 Flugelhorn (copper bell) w/ Kanstul two-piece BFL3C w/ 119S BB
Jupiter 416BL Pocket Trpt.
www.measureofgrace.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: