• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

2nd trumpet down?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wholly agree with Rocky, good 2nd playing has goose bumps potential, while out of focus, wrong dynamic 2nd playing is a disaster even though 1st may be an international superstar!

Another example of exciting octaves that comes to mind would be Dvorak's 8, 1st mvt. It actually makes life easier to 1st if he can ride on a solid, round 2nd player on the lower octave.

In other situations, the interplay between sections members is less subtle, where each part is as important as the other, constituting the different voices for the harmony. For example, the trio of Bruckner 4, the ending of Ravel's Bolero and many others. Of course, written unisons as in Dvorak's The New World or Tschaikovsky's Romeo & Juliet work only with two equally great players.

I have had the pleasure of playing 1st with excellent sections (and other instruments in the orchestra) as well as with more challenged partners; the difference is unbelievable: for a given playing level (mine), the first situation is a piece of enjoyable cake while the second is a nightmare, where you always sound bad, out of tune and quickly out of breath.

Similarly, I think I have played every trp part imaginable with great 1st players, and believe me it is a tough job to live up to expectations, when you know that if it is not working, it can only be because of you!

Another good point Rocky makes is about the attitude of pro players: I did sometime ago the Bach B min mass with an amateur ensemble, and they could not get any other trps, so they had to hire pro players from London. I was a bit peeved of having practised a long time 1st part and having to relegate to 3rd (but would have been happy to do it, as it is always a positive experience to sit beside REAL players!). I was extremely well surprised when they told me there was no question that I should play anything other than 1st. In fact, they were perfect section players and never felt the urge to even suggest things about my playing or making remarks. Enlightening!

But this is getting long-winded and I must have lost my audience in the 1st paragraph, so no point in continuing typing!

All the best,

Pierre Cerasi.

[ This Message was edited by: PC on 2002-06-18 07:40 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: