• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

range using Chicago school?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start by telling you that this my first post in this forum and if this subject is already covered I am SORRY.

I still have a lot of research to do on the Chicago method but was just wondering if someone could give me an overview of how RANGE is incorporated into the Chicago school?

I just have sooooooooo many things that I'm working on and I'd like to really fous on one at a time.

I did the CG studies and a couple others if I remember correctly, with little to no change after many months of each.

Thanks in advance!
Sean
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge, the real essence of the Chicago "method" is that there is no method. You must have a strong concept of how you want the note to sound, and then make it happen. Plus, as Bud might say, you practice your ass off.

Needless to say, the only way to develop a reliable upper register is to spend time up there. That, and listen to any Conrad Gozzo material that you can get your hands on.

[ This Message was edited by: FTee on 2004-03-17 16:35 ]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I'll try to fill in more later, but for starters the (or, rather, "my") answer is that range is tackled like anything else: develop the sound in your head, then play to it. Practice an etude (Getchell is good for this) down low so you know how it sounds, then take it up (a third, an octave, whatever). Certainly FTee nailed it when he says (more or less) that "to play up there, you have to practice up there" (said by many, of course). One trick is to not overextend the mental sound, at least at first. If your stuck at G over the staff, "hearing" a double C won't instantly give you one -- you'll have to work to it. "Hear" a high C and go there first. OTOH, I was amazed at how how quickly I was able to move from high C into the double and triple range once I got the mental sound (and air support) going. Mind you, I am not a lead player by any means (my performance range is about high G -- the one over high C, second over the staff) and don't practice "up there" all that often because I don't eed it. But, it's fun to squeal out trippa-Q every now and then just to see the bats bouncing off the belfry.

Or something like that.

I'll have to come back on how my teacher and I worked on it, but basically he provided a sound to follow and I played to it. IOW, he used sound to guide my development. He also went physical for a bit to explain all it all worked, and to clear up some misconceptions I had.

One other comment: I wouldn't be too quick to focus on only one area. To really develop, you have to learn everything well, and a balanced practice session is better than one hitting upon just one area, imho. Instead, work on everything, every session, but pick what to emphasize on a given day and/or session. In other words, run through a routine that touches upon everything, then play your focus area for the day, then finish off with some music just to keep it all in perspective.

Final comment: It can take months to develop range, but you should have seen some improvement by then. Do you have a teacher? It's very difficult to assess your sound and suggest things to help via the internet.

HTH - Don
thelurker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it comes back to using sound to measure efficiency, not feel.

By practicing for sound and not feel, and then practicing many hours a day over time, the body find what works best and that will lead you to range.

With that said:

Spend time playing melodies that you can transpose higher once mastered(buzzing them works great too) and spend 45 minutes a day on the Clarke book…establish your norms before you work your extremes.

[ This Message was edited by: thelurker on 2004-03-17 17:06 ]
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean,

Good to see you posting again! I hope all is well on your end.

I like what the other posts have mentioned so far:

1. From FTEE: “the real essence of the Chicago "method" is that there is no method”
  2. From All: “You must have a strong concept of how you want the note to sound, and then make it happen”
  3. thelurker: “By practicing for sound and not feel, and then practicing many hours a day over time, the body finds what works best and that will lead you to range

Let’s take those items one at a time with a little more detail.

Point 1

From MANY discussions with MANY different players (online and in person) who have worked with Mr. Herseth, “he never said to do anything in particular, but to do everything and explore every possibility. There is never ‘a’ right way to so something, but there are many wrong ways to do it.”

So, from these comments you can gather that exploration is vitally important from the Chicago School to find what works best for you. I found breath attacks, playing the mouthpiece/leadpipe combination, and the Caruso 6-Note drill to be effective in my own playing. This could easily fit the "explore every possibilty" idea from the Chicago School.

Point 2

This is an area that I have focused on in great detail in my own playing, and through exploration, I think I have discovered what works best for me. When you focus on sound, what sound exactly are you trying to conceive in your mind? Is it the sound that you hear when listening to CDs or the sound of a fine performer in a live performance in a fantastic hall? Or is it the sound that the player is hearing from behind the bell to create that great sound that we all experience?

Through exploration and scrutiny, I have recently been refining my own mental sound concept (the one that I hear from behind the bell). This new model is definitely smaller and more focused than what I used to consider to be my ideal sound. However, this sound (vibrant, resonant, ringing), has tremendous carrying power. The difference between what you need to hear versus what comes out of your bell (what other’s perceive) is the real essence to this idea of a strong personal sound concept. You can only find this though focused awareness when you are playing with great players. Really think about how you would generate that same sound (behind the bell), and then compare that new sound model with the sound that you are currently generating from behind the bell. I’ll bet you’ll discover that there is a BIG difference between the two. Your perceived current sound model is probably much louder and heavier and you wonder how a smaller, more focused sound can get the job done out in the hall.

Another corollary to this approach would be to record yourself and compare your recorded sound to that of your personal sound models (their recorded sound). After you have done this, modify your sound concept behind the bell (smaller, more focused) to see how it impacts your recorded sound.

In an article on Musical and Brass Playing Insights at http://www.midwestclinic.org/clinicianmaterials/2001/hagstrom.pdf , here’s what John Hagstrom has to say:

Quote:

Mentally internalized musical discipline -

This is simply the mental image of what one would like to sound like, but it is not so simple when one considers the degree of detail and intensity necessary to have this image lead the player to improvement and excellence. One of the primary concepts behind the teaching of Arnold Jacobs (former CSO Principal Tubist) is to first imagine what it would sound like if you could play a particular piece of music better than you or anyone else had ever heard it played before. You are not just imitating a sound, but actually creating a concept prior to attempting its execution. This requires more intense mental envisioning because the player is combining the ability to imitating the best of what has been heard before with a creative augmentation of those sounds.

Artistic ownership must occur to be professionally convincing & competive -

It begins when your image of what will sound better is not just an imitation of what you have heard before, but also something you have conceived of yourself.

Image intensity is as important as image clarity –

This means that the intensity of the musical voice in one’s head must be able to drown out what may or may not come out of the instrument. It is not enough to let you musical image be triggered by the first notes you play. Instead, get the sound going first in your head and then join it with your playing. Proficiency in this area leads to much less dependency on the physical sensations of playing and allows the player freedom to be more interactive with other musicians.

Strongly consider these words as you apply focused awareness when sitting beside players with the sound that you want to model in your own sound.

Point 3

To really internalize this sound, you must diligently practice to make it a part of your playing. I like using the James Thompson Buzzing Basics books to focus on this resonant sound every day. Please have a look at the topic Brilliant, or bright sound at: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=14549&forum=2. In the section where I quote another part of the Hagstrom article, you will see why this is so vitally important.

Now, no one got to the words about high register from the Chicago School that I like to cite:

Quote:

Here are some more words about backing off on the flow rate in the upper register by John Hagstrom (from the Chicago Symphony). He says, "The biggest misconception of Chicago Symphony high brass tone production: It is that we are blowing huge quantities of air through the instrument in the way the trombones and tuba do. This is false, but it is not hard to see how this misconception starts and spreads. Everyone has been told at one time or another in their training to use more air support, which gets distilled down into 'Use more air!' At first, our sense of what it feels like to use more air is rather crude, but our efforts in that direction pay off handsomely. Tone and consistency improve, but the improvement is the result of air being put into the position of starting the sound, with the lips and tongue being much more of a reaction to the air. Even so, the player may improperly conclude that it was the quantity of air that made the difference, when it really was the immediacy and the compression of the air that were responsible for the improvements. In fact, the trumpets and horns are blowing much harder than the trombones and tuba, but much less air quantity actually goes into the trumpet and horns, especially in the high register. The goal of efficient high brass tone production is to have the action of the air at the beginning of the tone generation process. Combined with a strong and healthy mental image of what the player is trying to sound like, the lips and tongue will gradually begin to react in balance with the air to create the desired sound."

And a paraphrase from Arnold Jacobs: Song and Wind:

Quote:

Also, it’s very important to know that “more air” is definitely NOT required in the upper register. A study was done with the members of the Chicago Symphony back in the 1950s to prove this. A low C on trumpet and a top of the bass clef Bb for trombone is the same note. They require exactly the same flow rate for a comparable dynamic. Similarly, the same note in the same register played by both a Tuba and a Horn require the same flow rate. The difference is that the low C for the trumpet occurs at the “high flow rate” end of the instrument, where as the flow rate for this note played by tuba occurs in the “low flow rate” end of that instrument [even though they are the same flow rate]. I believe that the article states that a tuba must generate a flow rate of 140-160 liters per minute for a ff dynamic in the low register, where as a trumpet is in the 6-8 liters per minute range. So, while the low C might require a flow rate of 6-7 liters per minute at a forte dynamic this would be in the high flow rate end for the trumpet, and the low flow rate end for the tuba. Look at that ratio between the flow rate for the tuba in the low register versus the high register...now applying that ratio, think about how little air is required as the trumpet ascends 2-3 octaves above the low C!

If only a third of a liter per minute is required for example (based on the above ratio) to play in the upper register on the trumpet, and the average capacity of our lungs is between 4-6 liters depending on size and age, you can see why players will hypervenilate if they are taking lots of big breaths to play in this register (it's physically impossible to expel a large volume of air in this register).

DON’T BLOW HARDER to play higher! You don’t need to. You must balance your ability to properly support the air, align the oral cavity to the proper size for the proper register, and find the resonant center of the instrument.

I hope this helps!

[ This Message was edited by: Derek Reaban on 2004-03-18 16:42 ]
JeffoBTrbn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word I was very surprised to not see on this thread is RELAX.
thelurker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read between the lines.

If you are not relaxed you will not have a good sound.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relaxed does not work if you become flacid. Some students of the Chicago School go farther than any of the Symphony greats ever did. Isometric tension (muscle fighting muscle) is the sound killer. Energized air flow fuels the machine and gives us tremendous freedom to make music. Mr. Jacobs used lots of positive energy to play. Mr. Herseth is a powerhouse trumpet player (at all dynamics!). It's the system vs system that will cause all sorts of physical trouble. Inhale muscles fighting exhale muscles etc.

Keeping your focus on making great music, that really allows you to play effortlessly.
Nails
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After studying with Larry Knopp up in Vancouver I found that there must be a balance between staying relaxed and keeping the intensity going. I think the most important thing is to be sure the wind pipe is not closed off, then airspeed can be controlled via the diaphragm. While working on things like the Brandenburg and Magnificant Larry would stress the importance of keeping the wind speed up during high passages. This has been my experience, not saying this is the end all way to go. Ah ya, and tongue like a mo fo.

Nathan
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diaphragm has no role in the exhale process. It must relax or fight the blowing muscles. During exhale (to provide a constant and energized flow of energy, air) this membrane relaxes back to it's dome shape. If it maintains a state of contraction you press down against the exhale system. Classic Valsalva action, isometric tension instead up freedom and movement.
Nails
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, what I ment was that if the wind pipe is obstructed then you have no chance in the upper register.

Nathan
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-04-21 00:42, Nails wrote:
Sorry, what I ment was that if the wind pipe is obstructed then you have no chance in the upper register.

Nathan

Exactly!! The lips should be the first and only point of resistance to the air flow.
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, would you agree though that the abs must be firm in order to support that energized air flow? To me, this is creating resistance. I'm just curious about your thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-04-21 12:28, tcutrpt wrote:
Dave, would you agree though that the abs must be firm in order to support that energized air flow? To me, this is creating resistance. I'm just curious about your thoughts.

Why would they be firm? A feeling of lifting maybe, a general feeling of balance and motion but not firm. When you push against a wall you will notice firmness in the abs, but no air is flowing! Un-opposed support would not require firmness but isometrict tension will. When the blowing muscles become opposed by the inhale muscles you create static air (no motion) in the lungs. You don't want systems engaged against each other you want the creation of air motion, flow, energized fuel. If you play FFFF in the high register there will be work effort, but it's best done by the bellows effect of the lungs and not muscle pushing against muscle. Focus on freely flowing air, use plenty of it (no, not overblowing, the higher you play the actual quantity is less but the speed is greater) and send the sound farther out the higher you play. Make each succesive high note sound better and easier and your body, once exposed to the demands you want of it, uses the most efficient way to move the air to speed. Take a short musical phrase and transpose up by half steps pretending to be Mr. Herseth, or Mr. Andre, or young Mr. Ferguson. How would they sound playing this, then sound like that. A great sound will be well supported, go for projection and quality over how high. When the body works in a co-ordinated fashion it's amazing how well we play. When you fight yourself you can barely perform. Fight the pipe and it wins everytime!
Ricetrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more with what people have been saying. Here's my two cents. A fast airstream is needed in the upper register. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. However, too often people think that for the air speed to be high, it must be forced out of the body. This creates the isometric tension that has been referred to earlier. Think about when you sigh, the air is coming out very naturally, and the body is incredibly relaxed. But, you can sigh and let the air out at several different speeds without it sounding compressed or forced. This relaxation in the body spreads to everything, and helps the sound come out naturally. I think that there needs to be a differentiation between a fast airstream, and a tight fast airstream. You can make the airstream fast, but still relaxed, and I think this is a big part of the Chicago approach. Again, just my two cents.
MisterE
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing Cichowicz would stress in lessons is that the upper register is actually further away, not higher up. In other words, the air only has one direction: straight out, not up and down. One thing he would do help instill this idea was to flatten out the music stand (like a table) and have you play reading the music horizontally. By doing this the higher notes actually LOOK further away and would help visually reinforce this idea of "out" not "up". Another important caveat was that the upper register should always be approached in a musical fashion, not as mere notes or calisthenics. Playing simple songs transposed into the upper register, approached with the same sense of ease and musical intent as a Rochut etude is far preferable to squealing out arpeggios. Whatever one chooses to do it must always be within the framework of a musical application. I am not saying exercises are without merit. They are excellent for developing and reinforcing aspects of technique when approached in a thoughtful manner. Too often, however, we get lost on the path (the exercises) and lose sight of the destination (playing music).
One thing I like to do personally is take an excerpt or passage and transpose it up little by little maintaining the same concept as the middle register. Play Concone #1, for example, in as many keys as possible: C, Eb, F#, A, and up the octave. Do this with passages in many styles. Play the Telemann 1st movement on the big horn starting in the middle register (starting on 2nd line G for example) and work your way up bt 1/2 steps and you'll have a real workout! In the end, it's just a beatiful song that happens to be in the upper register!
Cheers
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite interesting. I did a search on Cichowicz and found this thread and I just have to comment on some of my own playing experiences as of late.

I study with Scott Macomber whenever I can. He's a freelance player in the Bay Area here in California, and he studied at Northwestern with Cichowicz for 4 years at Northwestern. One thing he told me about Cichowicz is he demanded that everything be a song, or at leas be musical. His first lesson, Cichowicz had him playing a concert B flat scale the whole time so he could make it as musical as possible. Scott has me focus on the same thing in my own studies. His idea is "making technical demands a priority is putting the cart before the horse" - don't focus on the technical demands of the piece as an end, but rather focus on the end and the means will find themselves (if that makes any sense).

Lately I've been having trouble with range - getting up to at most a squealy High E (three lines up) and my sound above the staff has been suffering. In my frustration, I would just remember what Scott had me do - just relax and make the best possible sound I can. So I would do that, but in the middle and lower registers. I would work on single and multiple tonguing slowly to make sure I got the fattest sound on each note, I would play Art of Phrasing melodies from the Arban book as well as some of his other studies (intervals, turns, etc.), play the Russian Etudes, Brodogni Etudes...whatever I could that was more musical but not too demanding of range, but still pushed me to about High A or B flat. My sound did improve - especially on my C trumpet - and I was able to acquire a more relaxed approach.

Well, my endeavor is paying off. Last night while practicing, something clicked and suddenly I was playing Double High G's and A's with little more effort that it would take to play a High C. I was amazed. Granted, the sound is not as fat and rich as it could be, the notes are there, and they'll only get better now.

Anyone have any similar experiences to share?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
ChemistryComesAlive

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Combining Chicago with Callet Reply with quote

When I was about 20 (I am now 65), I had the opportunity to take some lessons from Arnold Jacobs. He made an interesting remark BEFORE we started. He said that he expected (without hearing a note) that I had a strong range (probably looked at my facial structure) and expected that I wanted help with tone/sound. The lessons were similar to what has been frequently reported elsewhere. After a few lessons, I gave up. Indeed, I completely gave up all hope of becoming a musician/trumpet player. The reason was that I was making absolutely no progress. I had no range, I had no strength or endurance, and could not do the simple things that he assigned, at least to my satisfaction.

I played trumpet off and on all my life and last year I made a last ditch attempt to give it my best shot. I got a great horn, a great teacher, and am practicing a lot. But now I have the strength and the endurance. What made the difference? It had nothing to do with mental sound, or with wind and song, or anything like this. It was discovering SC/TCE through the TH forums about 9 months ago. You can read about it elsewhere in the Jerome Callet forums.

Now, with a strong foundation, I am able to apply all I have learned from Jacobs' lessons, books and recordings, and from the postings in this Chicago forum. I can see very rapid progress using the exercises he assigned 45 years ago. Everything I read in this and other Chicago forums can now be applied effectively. My range is increasing a note or two per month.

I now believe that Jacobs had (incorrectly) assumed, when I first came to him, that I had a foundation that could be built on. I am sure he would not have suggested such a radical change in embouchure, which works well on trumpet but not as well on other brass instruments.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former professional trombonist in my area pointed out, the 'Chicago' school is a rather advanced school in that you have to at least have some technical command of the instrument before focusing on the musicality alone will make much of a difference. However, the point these guys are making is not "if you focus on just the music, everything will fall into place." The idea is "if you play in the most musical way possible, then you will get results."

Another thing, and I think this is a big one, is the embochure needs a healthy amount of air (for a given dynamic) to function properly. No air = no sound, plain and simple. You can focus on sound all you want, but if there's no air going through the horn, nothing will happen.

I stumbled on this in the middle of the recent crisis I was in. I was getting pissed, then realized, among other things, that loud practice MUST be a part of our routine because that's the only to get the chops accustomed to resisting the air stream, and I had been neglecting that area of practice. I started practicing LOUD long tones in the lower/middle register and moved up into the middle register only - didn't even touch the high register - and then my range jumped a half an octave from High C to Double High G. My range increased and became more open because my chops learned, and are still learning, how to better control the air stream.

Anyway, this seems go to into a ramble, but my take on it is this: even when practicing something that seems technical, make it a song and give it the most musical interpretation and sound you can give it. If you don't, it's just notes. If you want to play music, then play music; don't play exercises.

To quote Bud Herseth: "Never practice, always perform."

BTW, I don't particularly subscribe to any set embouchures (i.e. BE, SC/TCE, Reinhardt, etc.) - I just close my lips and blow. I might be classified as one of these, but I have no idea which...

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tpt-Guy,

Hmmm... I disagree that the Chicago School is advanced for the student. However, it sometimes takes a very good, and knowledgeable, teacher to apply the sound models needed to guide proper development. One of the things which makes me shy away from teaching -- that great fear that I'll do harm. I like this statement of yours, though: "However, the point these guys are making is not "if you focus on just the music, everything will fall into place." The idea is "if you play in the most musical way possible, then you will get results." As for the air issue, it's been covered in great detail before. It takes more air support than most beginners or amateurs (I'm in both to some extent) realize. And less... Too many people overblow on the high stuff, not relaxing and letting the chops and air work together. My teacher is very good at figuring out mechanics, but puts his analyses and "fixes" in musical, or least sound (oriented), concepts. Guiding development through sound -- that's what we're about.

ChemistryComesAlive -- I could well be wrong, but I have to wonder if a few more lessons wouldn't have made things click for you and Mr. Jacobs. Everything I know about the man leads me to believe that he would work overboard to keep a student from failing to progress. OTOH, different strokes... Glad you came back to us!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: