• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flat Embouchure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlos_knology

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a trumpet novice. I've been playing the trumpet on and off for about 18 years.

I used to gig in local latin bands while playing the trumpet for the US Army Band.

However, I have always felt I had endurance/range issues. I've always suspected that my problem may be embouchure related (too much pressure, playing slightly off center, somewhat upstream) but never took the time to look into it.

I'm fed up with mediocrity and tomorrow I'm going to resume taking lessons for the first time since my Army Band days.

I'm glad I found this forum and after reading some at the BE website, I wonder if I'm one of these "flat embouchure" guys.

I've taken some pictures with my dig. camera and was wondering if you guys would mind taking a look. The pictures were taken as I played a concert Bb (3rd space C).

I'm thinking about ordering the BE book.

The pictures can be found at:

http://www.knology.net/~carlos/images/

Thanks, Carlos

[ This Message was edited by: carlos_knology on 2004-03-17 19:08 ]
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Carlos!
No matter what the case, if you practice BE faithfully you will see an improvement in your daily playing. Get the book!
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carlos,

It doesn't look stretched or like a typical flat chin to me. However, you might need to take some pictures after a good shave to be sure, hehe. Apart from that, it's just a picture. You can make anyone look good in a picture, even myself, but that doesn't say anything about if it actually works and how it works. Not to mention how it sounds, if at all there would be a certain look that would be good/bad in the first place. You are interested in improving your way of playing and if you are going to 'update' your embouchure, you couldn't make a better deal with yourself by getting the BE book.

Ko
zipdude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look flat to me either.
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had endurance and range problems for forty years before I switched over to the BE (at 58 years old). Now I play stronger, longer and higher than when I was in my twenties. Go figure it! No, better yet, go buy the book!!!!!

barry
carlos_knology

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I'm looking forward to working the BE book. It looks like there is no web ordering? You just snail-mail a check?

Carlos
Bob Cross
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can send a check to Jeff, or go to the web and contact Bruce Lee at northernbrass.com. Bruce carries the book and can take plastic. Bruce is also a great guy to help you with mouthpiece problems. My endurance has gone through the roof between BE and Bruce helping me with a GR mouthpiece. I have thin lips and have suffered with endurance problems. Using the E rim on the E65M, I can play as long as I want, no problem. With the thinner rims, I get swelling and endurance problems, but play better. Anyhow, Bruce knows and uses BE, is a great guy, and can really help you too.
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: