• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Talk to me about Getzen Eterna's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played one tonight and loved it.

What is the going prices on one?What model does Getzen sell now that compliments it?
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 70s Getzen Severinsen (that got away) and recently picked up an 80s Getzen Eterna which I like just as well. Both of mine had sweet valve action and were well finished horns. The Sev was laser bright sounding. The 80s Eterna has a little middle of the road sound and is something I could use for everyday playing though I am presently playing an old Bach 37 for that. I am not familiar with the new models but would surely recommend the ones I have had. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you out with the newer ones.

unrelated to Getzen:
Regarding your comment yesterday about DEG, as a p.s., in the 70s I had a friend who got his horns stolen out of his car. This was about the time that DEG horns came into being (offshoot of the sale of the Getzen company, before the company was bought back by the family again) and he had one that he bought brand new because the price was right. He liked it and it was a very good horn. The early horns used to be made under contract in the Allied factory, I believe, but there have been many chances since then. I have no idea about the later history of the brand, but the early ones were pretty good horns. There are probably very few of the old DEGs still floating around though.

Mike
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in the TH Forum there is a post from Brett from Getzen who mentioned that they have gone back to the original construction of the Eterna to when it was the Severinsen Eterna. It is now called the Eterna Classic. Those were great horns.

Mike
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Eterna Classic is the same as the 900 Severinsen Eterna of old. It even has the solid finger buttons. In fact, the machine shop that makes the finger buttons for us worked with the company in the 60s as well and still had the original line drawings for them.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definetely say that this horn is everything that Getzen describes on their sight. Incredibly undervalued horn in the current market.

As some of you know... I recently traded in my beloved silver 1968 Ml bore Doc Getzen for a Large bore laquer version from the same year. Although I expected a little more open, a little more projection..I was surprised to see that it played like an all together different horn. To my surprsie...all I can say is wow. Rich, darker tone, good projection and all of the repsonse and intonation of the Ml bore version. Better blending with the sax and other instruments in my loud noisy dance band. This ones a "keeper"

I would like to have some "specific" information on how the design differs for ML to LB.

Although, not appropriate for every type of playing need(and no horn is!) I put this horn up against any horn TODAY selling in the $1,500 range. If you disagree...please elaborate.
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,So what is the differance in the Severinsen model and the 900s?
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I kind of did my own homework.I called up dillions and talked to one of the guys that plays trumpets.He said for what I wanted it for the Classic would be a better horn.He says the Severison model plays extreamly "tight and bright".Add to that it is almost $400 bucks more.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horn plays tight? Compared to what? The ml bore model is more free blowing than ANY ml bore horn I have ever played(I have played many..but not all). To get a more free blowing model..you would have to go to a large bore...in most cases.

I wonder if this guy at Dillons considers a standard Bach 37 to be tight. The ml Getzen is significantly more free blowing than that.

Anybody disagree?
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Severinsen's have always had a rounder tone to me.
I had an incredible 1970's ETERNA 900S (NOT a SEV) and it was the most amazing horn...it slotted so well up high and had the fastest valves.

I think EVERY horn is SLIGHTLY different...so it's all a crap shoot when you get right down to it.
CORNET: Holton Galaxy (Awesome horn)
KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil PC88MX,Yamaha S-30, Casio Privia 575R
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm going to try to clear some of this up.

In the late 60s and early 70s the 900 Eterna trumpet was the Severinsen Model. It was the trumpet designed by and for Doc at that time. When he left the company, the 900 Eterna dropped the "Severinsen Model" name and became just the 900 Eterna. As time went by the design was modified little by little until the current model was nothing like the original. In fact, when the company was bought back by the family the closest thing to the original Severinsen was the 700S. Don't ask me why it was changed in the first place. It makes no sense why you would redesign your most popular trumpet ever, but it happened.

Anyway, when Doc approached the company to build him a new trumpet a few years back we did two things. First, we created an all new Severinsen model trumpet. The 3001 and 3001LE were designed to be what Doc wanted then. They were never intended to be anything like his trumpet from three decades before. In fact, they are very very different.

The second thing we did was make the 900 Eterna what it once was. There were many differences between the old 900 Severinsen and the 900 Eterna we were making then. Most notably was a completely different leadpipe and a different bell. We looked back at the old specs and basically rereleased the original 900 Severinsen and called it the 900 Enterna Classic. Check out http://getzen.com/trumpet/eterna/900s.shtml for more info on the 900 Eterna Classic.

Basically if you are looking for a trumpet like the original Severinsen then the 3001 and 3001LE are not for you. You want to try a 900 Eterna Classic.

Now the difference between the medium and large bore 900 is the valve section and slides. The bell and mouthpipe were the same, but all of the slide tubes had a larger inside diameter making it a larger bore. There were also different tuning slides that you could buy. You could have a medium .460" bore trumpet with a .458" or .462" bore tuning slide.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It almost feesl like the large bore model is lighter and thinner(most noticable with the bell) than the Ml version. Also..was the same metals composiiton used?
Capt. Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how the 70's Getzen 900 Eterna LB compares to the 80's model soundwise?

'02 Benge Piccolo Trumpet w/CS GR65C or GR 63S
'68 B&H Imperial Fluegelhorn w/GR 65FL
'48 B&H Imperial Sopr

[ This Message was edited by: Capt. Z on 2004-03-20 13:15 ]
Horn of Praise
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eterna 900 Classic is a bright and "zingy" horn. A rounded tuning slide will "mellow" it noticeably (my wife has awesome ears and agrees with me).

Does the .460 "Classic" play tight? Well...yes and no. It depends on what you are comparing it to. My Eclipse is an extremely open and free-blowing horn. Compared to it, almost everything else feels tight. Because the Eclipse can take all the air you can give it, I can "abuse" it in a multitude of ways. The Eclipse is more forgiving. But...the Getzen "reminds" me to play without stress or tightness...to make "it" work. For an amateur like myself, efficiency is important.

They are COMPLETELY different horns.

Of course, the mouthpiece and the player's physical make-up change everything. So, what I have said is merely an opinion...and everybody has one!

I hope this helps. Be well.
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,I just won a Getzen eterna off of ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=3711483145&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWA:IT

Gonna try it out.If not Ill put it back up for sale.

If its anything like the one my buddy had its a keeper.

Who wants on the stand by list jsut in case?

[ This Message was edited by: camel lips on 2004-03-21 21:28 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: