• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I need advice on a mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I am playing with a BACH 3-C for my overall play...and I use a Schilke 13A4A for my upper register work.
Is there a mouthpiece anyone could reccomend that would be somewhere in between those two...and allow me still to scream up high without losing my middle tones?
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach or Schilke rim? In a Schilke, try a 13B.

HTH - Don
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GR66MS is ideal for exactly that. Incidentally, the 14A4a rim is probably a little closer to the diameter of the 3C than the 13 series.
2LIP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM:

I am familiar with all of the MP's that you mentioned and some of the others. I have not had the opportunity to try the GR's but will be soon. Do yourself a favor and check out the Curry 600 series. Probably a 60M but possibly a 70M would do the trick for you. Nice sound all the way down to low F# and up as high as you can go. If the M cup is too deep try the S but I think those are as shallow/shallower than your 13A4A. The GR is another option, and even though I am not a fan, some people find great success with Warburton MP's. If I were you, I would try anything that I could get my hands on locally. Lastly, Parke makes some very nice MP's and their customer service is outstanding. Much better than most, but they are a bit pricey compared to the Curry line.

Good luck,

The LIP
junkyt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2LIP-

i know this is off subject, but i wonder if you could tell me what it is you don't like about warburton? i have been trying some of their cups and bb's, and i like them, but i'm always interested to hear others' opinions.

thanks,
junkyt
pjbtrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always used to be a mpc skeptic, I always thought that you should find something that you are comfortable with and learn to play it well, until I tried the Monette line. It took me about 2 weeks to used to feel of the MPC and I have never looked back. It gives me a big fat sound from pedal C to Bb above 2nd Ledger line above the staff C. It gets a little thin after that, but I think that may be just me. I played a Denis Wick for a long time for my lead work and had a pretty solid D above that but never had the middle register. I have truly found a great all around MPC, it is a little pricey though.
http://www.monette.net/newsite/ The website has a MPC comparison chart, if you are interested.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a schilke 13A4 and if that doen't do the trick give a DeNicola 13C a shot.
jazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to find something with a comfortable rim, then go from there (backbore, throat, cup size). I switch between a Laske 75C and a Reeves 3S692. I have about the same range with each piece, but I use the Reeves for lead playing because it gives the sound a nice zing to it for cutting through. Both pieces have about the same size rim, so it's an easy transition.
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Everyone!!!

I might try a Schilke 13b. I have to find a store that has a large MPC selection.

If anyone knows where I can test them in Michigan...please let me know.
CORNET: Holton Galaxy (Awesome horn)
KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil PC88MX,Yamaha S-30, Casio Privia 575R
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 13B will have a much more rounded rim than the 13A4A. It will also have a much more open backbore. For sizzle uptop the rim won't make much difference (except for feel/endurance), but the more open backbore will spread the sound a little more. You could probably find a used 13A4A and have it modified at WW&BW or Schilke. I would recommend first having the backbore opened to B backbore and if that is still too thin in the lower register open the cup to a B as well. You could also try a Back 3D. About the same diameter as a bach 3C, but with a shallower cup. Interestingly the 3D actually has a larger cup volume than the 3C due to its shape, but with the tighter backbore it facilitates a brilliant sound in the upper register with a good sound throughout all the registers.

[ This Message was edited by: pedaltonekid on 2004-03-20 14:16 ]
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second pbjtrumpet on Monettes. They're a major investment, at least for my wallet, so try before you buy, but you definitely should try them.
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not a 13B4. The same rim as your 13A4A with a slightly deeper cup. Or there's always the 13C4, which will have a deeper cup more like the Bach 3C. Either way, the rim would be the same as well as the cup diameter.
mouthpieces
Schilke 13C4, 12B4, 12A4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: