• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My lunch with Bach

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I spent my lunch hour cruising through different Bach models at the local music store. If I decide on a Bach, I narrowed my choice down to the LT180S-37 or the standard weight 37. (I also tried the 180-43, LT180-43, LT180-72. The 37 had the richest sound.)

I found the LT180-37 much easier to play, although I like the tone of the standard model a little better. But I wonder if my aging lungs will last longer on the lightweight model as time as time flys by. Will that model blend well in a sectional setting in concert band? That's where I will mainly be playing.
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try an LR model (reverse leadpipe)? If not, you should. They have much less resistance than standard leadpipes. You might also look into the rounded tuning slide, although that probably won't be available at your local store; you'll probably have to special order one.

[ This Message was edited by: nextbrassguy on 2004-03-19 15:08 ]
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also make a version with a lightweight body and regular weight bell..you get the best of both worlds...lightweight response...with sound and projection of the regular weight.

BW
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote cast for the rounded tuning slide.

I tried out a Conn Vintage 1 that comes with both slides and boy did it make a world of differance.Talk about opening up the horn..
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I tell by the model number if it's lightweight with a regular weight bell?
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lightweight bodies do not have the nickle trim on the valve casings. Of course the lightweight horns are denoted by a star on the bell.

Mike
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concert band- ever consider a fine quality cornet?
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what rep you play in concert band, a cornet might NOT be the way to go. If you stay mostly in teh earlier band rep, including the "classic" concert band pieces, eg Holst, or "Overture for Winds" etcetcetc, then it would be a lovely instrument to have. But if you tend to play a lot of teh newer rep, it calls for a more orchestral trumpet section, able to play quite loud and sustained with much power and a beautiful sound, in which case a cornet would probably not fit with the rest of the section. That said, ask your director (or even principal, depending on teh band setting).

Stuart

PS the best scenario would be to have both. Unfortuneatly, most of us (me) cannot afford that:)
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet_Mom,
Check out WW&BW...they have every bell model in stock except the large bore. The model # you're looking for is...Bach Stradivarius Bb Trumpet LR180 Series. Go here http://www.wwbw.com/Bach-Stradivarius-Bb-Trumpet-LR180-Series-i22480.music. Hope this helps!

BW

'80's Selmer Picc
Warburton GP #6 Series Pieces

[ This Message was edited by: maynard-46 on 2004-03-20 12:46 ]
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My general tendency is to find a horn that is easy to get the sound that you want. The audience doesn't really care how easy or difficult it is for you to make that sound. Once you narrow the list of ones that have the sound you like, then select from those as to ease of playing. In either bell weight, the bach 37 makes it easy to get that traditional trumpet sound. I don't play one, but play with many fine players who do.
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy any Bach without playing first. There are some really good Bach's out there, but you have to look. They are very inconsistent. Even all the die hard Bach fans will admit to that. I would definitely agree with idea of trying the reverse leadpipe. But better yet, you could buy a lot more horn for a lot less money from me. I would try a Zeus before buying a Bach. If you ever play a Zeus after you bought your Bach, you would be sick.

By the way, all you people who are about to chime in ripping Alex, you can save it.

If you want more info on Zeus horns, please email me at Capouser@aol.com
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some of these new Zeus dealers will start bringing horns to events like ITG and the regional trumpetfests where players can make their own individual comparisons. I would try one with an open mind.

Mike
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than likely you will see me at the ITG Conference this summer. Come with an open mind and enough cash to take one home to one of your buddies as well.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's your opinion Zeusfan. I am sure I can play 100 hundred of your Zeus's of any configuration you like, reversed leadpipe, heavy bell, raw brass, etc ... and it still won't EVER hold a candle to any of my equipment which mostly happen to be Bach's.

I highly doubt I would be "sick" as you put it after playing one of your horns .. unless I caught a disease that is. Trumpet_Mom came on here looking for advice and information, not for useless equipment plugs. If the Zeus's were really that great, they would speak for themselves rather than you having to come on here and advertise about them.

Don't come on here and try to speak for everyone claiming that all of us "Bach" users have mediocre and expensive horns compared to yours. Coming on a thread like this is simply the act of a desperate salesman in my opinion, and we have no need for it here.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet_Mom ..... I have played virtually every configuration of Bach Stradivarius Trumpets out there .. including several vintage ones. I have owned lightweight 43's, 37's, and 72's. Of course the lightweight configuration will respond like no other, but it will be only for a compromise of sound in the upper register. It will just come off as too bright and shrilled, unless that is what you are looking for.

When it comes down to it, sound is everything. I want a horn to make me sound like I want to sound, not go a lifetime trying to constantly adjust to achieve it. The standard weight bell 37 was clearly the answer for me. I did like the heavyweight bell though as the sound never broke up on it.

Since you are on the borderline of going either way, I would suggest you try a few LR180's with the standard weight 37 bell on it. It is a lightweight body with a reversed tuning slide and a normal weight bell. This should provide outstanding response, but yet give a clear rich tone over all registers of the horn. The best of both worlds if you ask me.

If you purchase a lightweight 37 Bach in hopes that it is an all-around horn, you will find that it will limit you in some venues such as an orchestral setting and some Wind Ensemble settings. This is my experience. Feel free to email me or message me if you have any questions about any Bach configuration ... I would be happy to help.

The Zeus advertisement above is an option also, but keep in mind that the Zeus is purely based on a verbatum copy of a Bach Stradivarius. Not all Bach's are good by any means ... play AS MANY as possible, and I assure you will find not only a good, but GREAT one. Hope this helps ... good luck.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of other options beyond and above Zeus; however, she's found a horn she likes. I'd second going for the light weight body with standard weight bell. It'll probably serve well in all her playing situations.

Dave
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpetplyr makes a good point above about the repertoire and trumpet sound required of your concert band. I don't own a Bach, however one of the local university trumpet professors does all his B-flat work on a LR180S37.

Good luck with your decision!

[ This Message was edited by: plankowner110 on 2004-03-20 20:15 ]
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find the lightweight to be too bright and shrilly in the upper registers, as mentioned above in this post. So far the standard 37 was my favorite. The local dealer had one LR180-37 on hand. I tried it and put in down right away because I didn't think the sound was as rich as the standard 37. But, I admit I only played it for about a minute. Since everyone keeps mentioning that one, I will go back on Monday and make more comparisons. I called another local dealer and he has an LR180 in stock. I'll make sure I try them both.

I would like to make a purchase soon since the local college band that I'm playing in starts up next week. The local dealer has lots of 37's to choose from with decent pricing, so, I won't have to drive too far to find one. (All pro horns sound great to me. I doubt I could tell a "bad" Bach from a "good" Bach. I liked every model that I played.) Thanks for everyone's opinions, and I'll let you know what I buy.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, you've got a couple of pretty good Yamahas. Why are you considering changing?

Dave
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to apologize to all of you that I offended by telling how great the Zeus horns are. I have played and owned some good Bach horns, and I've sold dozens of Bach when I worked at our local music store.

I don't mean to ruffle your feathers and perhaps your ego. I not implying that Bach horns are inadequate to the Zeus horns. I am the principal player of every ensemble that I sit in and it is not because of my horns. If you have to rely on your horn than you are not worthy of being called a musician. I'm just saying that if I can make playing trumpet a lot easier, I'll be lazy and do just that. Would you rather write by pen or type? Since it seems as though I am desperate salesman and you (my opposer) lives in Louisiana and I in AL, it seems as though that is within meeting range and you are more than welcome to try my horns. I have played hundreds of Bach's. How many Zeus trumpets have you played?

You can contact me at Capouser@aol.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: