• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Heavy Wall: What Else?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldchops

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, all. I'm new here. As a matter of fact this is Post #1, although I've been lurking about for awhile. I'm another old duffer picking up the horn again after a long hiatus. I've been buying and selling trumpets, both because I like to experience different things and in search of that horn I like the best.

I recently bought a used Yamaha YTR 6335HGS. I think I bought this horn for a decent price and can make some money off of resale. I can use that money to buy a newer horn or a better horn. (Plus I've got another Yamaha and an Ambassador sitting in the house).

My question is if I like the Yamaha YTR 6335HGS, what are comparable horns made by Yamaha or other manufacturers that I also might like? Any recommendations? I'm off in search of the next horn to try!
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Yamaha I would try a Xeno 8335 Model. Yamaha has successfully made a heavier horn that is very responsive and fun to play. I think Yamaha quality may be the best in the business.

Mike
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word on the street is that the Yamaha heavy wall and the newer Xeno are imitations of the Bach Strad. I've never played a heavy wall or a Xeno, so I can't vouch for this. However, you might want want to take a look at Bachs.
BullJive
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my personal experience I wouldn't call the heavywall or the Zeno a copy of the Strad in terms of how it plays. It may be somewhat a copy of the Strad in terms of construction, but I think many of its playing characteritics are quite different. I've also heard others call it a copy of the Strad, but I don't think any of the Yamaha models feel at all like a Strad. I currently play a heavywall 6345HS, and it is a decent horn. It has some intonation problems (D, Eb, and E are VERY flat) but overall it is a good horn.

In my opinion it is easier to achieve a more clear, pure sound with the Yamaha horns, whereas Strads facilitate a more robust, full-bodied tone (I sound like a Budweiser commercial). That's a pretty big generalization I just made, and as I say this I can think of two big exceptions: Philip Smith plays Bach and has a very clear sound, whereas Hickman plays Yamaha (or Blackburn) and has a very robust sound. I would be very interested to see what others think about this topic (I only speak for what I hear and feel with these horns).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: