• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Now what about Schilkes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now I'm starting another thread. But I don't want to get lost in the long threads, so I would like to keep my questions on different brands separate. Keeps me organized!

I actually could, if I really wanted to, spend the money on something like a Schilke. Do I want to? Maybe not. Do I need one? That's a good question. But, since I live close to the Schilke company, I'm hoping they let me visit and try some horns. If I can, what will fit my desire - which everyone should know by now since I've been rambling about buying a new trumpet all week. (Ease of play, quick response, yada, yada, yada.)

I don't know much about their horns except that all three first chairs in the community band play different models of Schilkes. Does Schilke have an all-around model that fits for concert band and sometimes jazz band? Or is Schilke more known in the symphonic music world? I've never met anyone in a big band with a Schilke. (But that may be due to personal price restrictions.)
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke/

that website might help you out a little bit. It should tell you everything you ever wanted to know about Schilke trumpets.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the link above. It is a website put together by Jim Donaldson & is excellent. The most popular Schilke is the B1. There are a lot of models to fit any need. It would be worth playing a few and talking to people who play them. Schilke B6's and S42 are popular with lead players but the B1 is hard to beat.

Mike
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim's loyalist site that Mr. Fowler linked to is a great resource to learn about the history of Schilke and about all their differnt models. Read through the history section, quality section and then move on to the B-flat horns and then read about the bell options.

If you live close by then I would suggest stopping at the factory. They have a test room lined with horns for you to try out. It's a small operation of about 25-30 people hand making trumpets and mouthpieces. If anything a tour of a the shop will be educational as you will get to see what the old school hand made thing is all about (no cnc machines over there).

It is good that you are in no rush and are able to try all the horns you want. In the end I am sure that you will be able to make an informed decision and pick the horn/manufacture that best fits you.

have fun!

-marc
Schilke X3Lb

[ This Message was edited by: drunkiq on 2004-03-21 21:45 ]
trump_it
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke's are great horns. They're used more frequently for commerical work than orchestral, though you can find one to suit any need. I love mine, and I highly reccomend that you try a few out.
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a Schilke B1 and an X3. I believe both the horns to be great horns in their own settings. Commercially they are good horns and I have found that I can blend them in any setting. I just recently sold my X3, but I am very excited about what I bought with the money. I thought that there would not be one person who could dislike my Schilke, but tonight my assistant principal player tried my horn before I shipped it and he hated it. He is a great player, but it did not meet his needs. He even sounded bad on the horn. It was the first time I had ever seen anything like that. You seem like you are on the right track in pursuit of the perfect horn for you. Look, play, and fall in love with the horn you buy. It will make playing much more ejoyable. Try the silver one from Alex, you won't regret it.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned three Schilke trumpets...

1.) B5
2.) S22
3.) X3

Out of those three I probably liked the S22 the best... I had the B5 in high school.. and although it was a tad bright.. I used it in high school wind ensemble, jazz band, marching band, etc... and it blended pretty well with everything else. The X3 took a lot of air, played well, and had great intonation... but it just wasn't for me. Schilke makes some fine horns. I still look forward to one day play a B6L as well as a B1 to see how they play.
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilkes are very well made instruments. Best valves in the bidness. You can find a used one for less than the cost of some other brands new and it will still be just as tight if not tighter. Don't be afraid to investigate pre-owned Schilkes if the price scares you.

Tim
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that Schilkes as a general rule of thumb will brighten your tone. I used to always sound like I was playing a flugelhorn on my raw brass 37, but once I got my Schilke I sounded like a trumpet player. Could be mental, but my new horns put me right in the middle (Warm tone, colorful projection).
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...this is your conscience speaking...
buy the schilke..buy the schilke...buy the schilke..
..maybe a B7......if you don't like it, send it to dj..send it to dj....send it to dj...
a man dedicated to providing homes for unloved schilkes...sniff..sniff..sob...
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will come clean at the beginning, I have never owned a Schilke (of any description).
I have found the majority of their Bb trumpets (that I have played) didn't give me the sound I was looking for. I have quite a bright sound naturally, I look for a trumpet that can mellow me out a bit. The Schilkes I have tried have tended to push me further into the brighter areas of my playing.
If I was looking for a lead trumpet (not my playing style) I would have one by now. They really start to sizzle in the upper register, or at least the ones I have tried recently have done.

I have played in sections where other players are using Schilke trumpets, they seem to be able to blend with the Bach and Yamaha trumpets.

For me they were too bright, but I would strongly recommend you try them, if you get the chance. If it is possible to take a tour of the factory, I would recommend that even higher. They are stunningly well built trumpets and work very well for a large number of players. You do owe it to yourself to at least try them.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned/played just about every model Schilke availible, including the B8 & B9, when they were still around. You mentioned in one of your other threads that you were concerned about a horn that takes too much air. Well ,Schilkes use a step-bore (except a couple of models...B5, X3, etc) which I've always felt made a Schilke feel like it plays a bore size bigger. In other words, their ML bores feel and play like a large bore, of say a Bach...and a medium bore Schilke plays like an ML Bach, etc. If you ARE concered with minimizing your air output then I would definitely stay away from the B1, X3, and maybe even a B7. These all have large bells and, unless you're a strong, experienced player, will suck you dry, so to speak. From what I have read on your other posts of what you are looking for and, if you were my student and wanted a Schilke, I'd probably tell you to try these models; B6, B4, S42, all medium bores & a B2, ML bore/med. bell. If I had to choose only one of these I would push you towards the B4. This is a stepped medium bore horn with a medium bell and it plays VERY easy with a nice centered sound. My next choice would be the S42 which is a med. bore/ML bell but with a straight-through bore, not a stepped. This horn has a little heftier sound, more towards a Bach, but still has all the fine qualities that Schilkes are known for. This model is my personal favorite with the kind of work I do which is ALL commercial (big band/jazz). Because Schilke's do play a little different from your everyday horn you really need to try them out for yourself. Even though I, and others, think they're great horns doesn't mean you will! The fact remains that there are some people out there that do not lcare for Schilke Bb trumpets!!! Hope this helps & good luck! Oh, in your search I DO think you'd regret it if you didn't AT LEAST try out a couple of Schilkes!

BW
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you trade your current horn for a B7 or a B6 or a B1 you can stay within your budget and you Will be a very happy player.
turnbostl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Schilke B6 that I've owned and played for 30 years. I love that horn. It is beautiful, well made, and very responsive. I use it for Jazz band and Concert band. It does have a bright sound. I've use a Bach Megatone mouthpiece with it to darken the tone for Concert band. Although I don't have any problems blending with the other trumpets in the section, which are mostly Bachs, I can always distinguish my tone from everyone else’s. The B6 has the step bore and I don’t have any problems filling it up.

I've read your threads with interest because I'm shopping for a new horn. Not because I need another trumpet; it would just be nice to buy another one after using the same one for 30 years. I'm looking for something completely different from the Schilke; something that has a darker tone. But I’ll always keep and play the Schilke.
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hopefully will be going to the Schilke factory on Friday, April 2nd. I took the day off work so I can invest more time in my search. I was going to drive out to wwbw, but, as anyone can tell you who lives in the Chicago area, the traffic between the IL/IND border is a nightmare, so I wasn't looking forward to the drive. If I can do any testing locally, I'm definitely staying close to home. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the input.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI...the WW&BW doesn't have ONE NEW Schilke Bb in stock!!! ALL models are "back-ordered"!

BW
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to beat a factory visit. Take you Yamaha with for side-by-side comparison (you always need a known reference). If possible, take a trumpet playing friend to listen and so that you can also listen to them play. (This is often not possible, particularly during the work week, but if possible it can add another level of information to the formula).

Dave
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

A mate of mine received his new B1 after a 4month wait. Good horn though.

Butch is right, I like large bores and although the B1 is step bore ML it really feels bigger.
Try the mediums..the sound may suit.

Regards

Trevor
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a method book with a CD and it looks like the person on the front cover is holding a Schilke. I just love the sound of the trumpet on this CD. The book is called Concert Series for Trumpet, by Philip Smith, the principal trumpet in the New York Philharmonic. I wish I could find what he played when he recorded the CD.

I scheduled an appointment at Schilke. Unfortunately, they don't have many trumpets to try, but I will get to test a B1 and a B6.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith would sound great on copper water piping! Find out what YOU sound "great" on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: