• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help,I'm obsessed and going nuts trying to find the perfect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get right to the point.
I own 3 trumpets. I bought them all on Ebay.
1st I bought a 1954 Olds Ambassador.....blows nice but seems to have some limitations upstairs.
Then I bought a 1957 Olds Special....this horn seems to open up nicely in the upper reg..but loses some tonal in lower...overall a good horn.
THEN..I had to buy a 1953 L.A.Olds Recording.
I thought this horn was gonna be IT!!!
This was gonna be the horn that will make me fall in love with playing trumpet again (I currently play keys 95% of the time)
but there are some questions I have.
It's a beautiful classic horn in great shape. Has POWERFUL low and medium register play but wimps out and turns my face red when I'm trying to scream upstairs.

So here's my dilemma...I have three horns but only need ONE.
Now is there anyway I can get the RECORDING to open up and offer less resistance?

I then got to the very low pathetic point of my oddesey where I even had my girlfriend play each horn...there she is popping out notes like little farts...( she can't play at all mind you) and I was asking HER opinion on what was easiest and sounded best etc.)

Who's opinion is next? My dog's?

I'm losing my mind over this and I am ready to sell em all...and maybe buy a Bach LR180 37with a lightweight body and standard bell.

Oh, how wonderful it is to come back to being a trumpeter...yikes!!!

[ This Message was edited by: musicmork on 2004-03-21 21:39 ]
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have some excellent Olds horns. My favorite is the Recording. You might check and see if the valves are aligned. Also, if you play a modular mouthpiece you may want to put a larger backbore on your mouthpiece. You can also try a Olds Studio.

Mike
trump_it
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing the horn before buying it would cut back on owning a lot of mediocre horns.
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well join the club. But I guess you already have. It gets worse, I'm up to something like 15 now, just bought another, and only 3 months into a comeback, but I keep telling myself I'm just going to pick a couple and them sell the rest and break even.....Anyway, I don't have much experience myself yet but I've seen some posts here recently which speak of improving Olds horns with Pilczuk leadpipes, makes a big improvement according to most. But if your just getting back into playing maybe you should just stick with one till you've gotten back up to speed and have a better position from which to compare. All your horns have fine reputations as great horns, so they should be fine. By the way, I'm looking to try out an Ambassador trumpet, I have a near mint 1956-57 Olds Ambassador cornet that I really like, best horn in my stable, but I don't play cornet much. Interested in a possible trade?

Bob
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone so far...

BOB...I cracked up when I read your response...I can relate so well... we're such SICK and obsessive types I am guessing. I sure hope I don't get up to 15 horns.
I already have 3 horns and 8 keyboards...OY VEY!!!

Actually, your advice on the Pilczuk leadpipe is very helpful.

I once knew this trumpet repaiman who used them on old Conns and goit great results.

I will investigate more about it....thanks

So ,I have a choice ....I can try putting on a Pilczuk LEADPIPE or...I can go to the nearest Home Depot plumbing department and BUY a real LEAD PIPE and hit myself over the head with it after I smash all my horns. Oh,and as far as a trade...I am going to keep my Ambassador. It's the one with the pinky ring and it really IS the best student horn I've ever had.
But there are SO many of em floating around on Ebay...you can buy one for around 100 bucks.
I paid over a hundred for mine and it was well worth it.

[ This Message was edited by: musicmork on 2004-03-21 22:27 ]
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and by the way...Trptbenge....Thanks for the advice. I play a Bach 3-C...and a Schilke 13A4A.

The only modular one I have is an OLD Giardinelli 10M. ...with the rim stuck.
CORNET: Holton Galaxy (Awesome horn)
KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil PC88MX,Yamaha S-30, Casio Privia 575R
pjbtrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a few words of advice, find a local music store, try every horn that you can get your hands on. Bring someone that knows how a trumpet is supposed to sound, bring a tuner. If you have the money to spend on ebay you can probably find a good used horn in a store. I have found that most music stores sell used horns like used cars, go in there with a couple hundred cash and they will give you the store.

That is only my advice, I have been victimized by the ebay bug, I was very lucky though, I bought a Yamaha and it plays like a dream. I just got lucky and had a couple hundred to blow. It's just like gambling, don't bet the money if you can't afford to lose it.

Have a great day.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MUSICandCHARACTER
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-03-21 22:44, pjbtrumpet wrote:
I only have a few words of advice, find a local music store, try every horn that you can get your hands on. Bring someone that knows how a trumpet is supposed to sound, bring a tuner. If you have the money to spend on ebay you can probably find a good used horn in a store. I have found that most music stores sell used horns like used cars, go in there with a couple hundred cash and they will give you the store.

That is only my advice, I have been victimized by the ebay bug, I was very lucky though, I bought a Yamaha and it plays like a dream. I just got lucky and had a couple hundred to blow. It's just like gambling, don't bet the money if you can't afford to lose it.

Have a great day.

Paul

Ebay is not that bad. You do have to use some common sense. Actually, I have bought horns, played them for awhile, and moved on to something else. I sell the horn on eBay and get my money back, or even make a profit at times.

Here is my advice for eBay transactions. The worst thing that happened to me was buying a lot of five rental horns from a store. It was a great deal -- until I really examine them. Then I wished I had stuck to the regular eBay buying.

M&C
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is ...here in Michigan...there aren't very many stores with a large selection of quality used brass.Seems like they wanna shove a student Bundy or an Amati up your A** and get FULL LIST price. I saw some poor parent shell out BIG bucks to rent his kid a flute.

At LEAST Ebay isn't too expensive EVEN if you happen to buy the wrong horn.
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dr. Fox, just visited your site, pretty nice, I'm surprised I've never been there before. I'm in Indiana too, up by Nashville, but unfortunately having to move back to Indy for a job. I hate city living but at least the music scene is vibrant. Anyway, my two cents on Ebay, I've been mugged a few times, but to be honest I mugged myself. I've gotten some good deals on Ebay so far and I'm very happy, just a few clunkers. I want to try different horns and them sell them again to make my money back. The education I've received in a short time is worth a small loss. And I've sold enough junk on Ebay from my lifelong collecting obsession to more than cover the costs. But the poster who said it's gambling is right, is is gambling to an extent. And now I understand all the stories I've heard of people addicted to the Home Shopping Network. I'll never call them crazy again.

Bob
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick to one good horn and spend more time/money on lessons/practice.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sound to me like your NOT a Olds player. Lots of people start with them to get back into trumpet on the cheap, BUT they never have been a leader and lots of us don't care for them. If you want to try to salvage an Old, then consider a leapipe change on the Ambassador.

Surely there is a good dealer in Michigan that you could drive to. Four hours round trip wouldn't be too much in order really know what's out there. You've got to try a Bach 37 to feel and hear the "standard." Then try your best to find some Conns, Schilkes, Yamahas, Jupiters, Zeus, etc, etc. to play and contrast.

Since you love trumpet so much, it's now time to put your money where your mouth is and "invest" in a really good trumpet that matches you playing style. Perhaps dealers keep showing you cheap student horns because you walk into their stores saying you want a great $500 horn. Go in and say you want to purchase a great pro horn. Don't worry about how you'll pay for it until you find the one you really connect with. If you have limited credit, then put it on lay-away and pay it out over time. (Zeus and one of the Kanstul dealers will do this, as will most retail stores). Sell all your unused horns and focus on getting one really great one.

Happy hunting,

Dave
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played all of the horns you have and own two of them. You may want to put more time into each one - I don't find it's really possible to get a good idea of how a horn plays in less than a few days. I'm using the heavyweight, rose-brass belled Recording as a lead horn (and by all expectations it's not built like what one usually wants in a lead trumpet - lightweight, yellow brass, etc.) in a big band and have little trouble powering out double G's on it that hurt the sax section's ears. It's probably the loudest medium-large bore horn I've ever come across. It also is very responsive and I've found it to have a easy upper register. I spent the first rehearsal using it learning to back off a bit as I was playing waaay to loud to balance with the band correctly.

You may find it beneficial to hire a private teacher/pro player to try your horns out for you so you can hear what they sound like from the front and get an independent professional opinion about the playing characteristics.

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces
a jazz.fm member
jhaysom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan a vist to the NYC/New Jersey area and visit Dillon's. It's about 3/4 hour on the train from downtown NYC.

You'll find a wall filled with maybe 100 professional level used trumpets (not to mention other walls of cornets and flugels). I thought I had died and gone to Heaven.

Spend a day there. Pretty good chance of finding something that suits you.

I got my Yamaha Shew horn there.

Of course, that hasn't stopped from buying others on ebay.

Yamaha 6310ZS trumpet
Leblanc Arturo Sandoval flugel
1941 King Silvertone cornet
1941 King 2B valve trombone
Kanstul 920 piccolo
etc.

[ This Message was edited by: jhaysom on 2004-03-22 10:13 ]
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for all the advice. This is a GREAT forum !!!

Keep in mind that I play keys professionally 95% of the time these days and ONLY play trumpet in pop bands on a few songs. Or I play at home for fun.

In high school...I was always second chair playing a Holton Galaxy Cornet...while the first chair guy...was playing a new silver Schilke B-5 trumpet . How embarrassing to keep losing to him over and over again while playing that overpriced student piece of s*** horn.
I KNOW our bandleader ( who turned his back during challenges) could tell the difference between our horns ( I felt our challenges were unfairly judged)...and so I only made first chair by default ...when HE became the Drum Major in marching band.
The emotional pain that I endured from not having a great horn and yet practicing my ass off for 3 hours every day must have developed some obsessive "entitlement need" into my current psyche....to overcompensate for never having a great horn to play as a young man.

Now I am determined to be a comeback player...BUT with the BEST horn I can find.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, get in the car and drive.

Dave
alwyswinn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get a horn that put a smile on my face till I shelled out some serious cash. So I can agree with a lot of the statements above. I too am stuck with ebay or mailorder. I can't find a decent horn store in NM maybe someone out there knows of one. I have a nice flugel that I enjoy playing the most but a decent trumpet would be nice.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point, ya gotta get past the denial and admit to being an ebay junkie, just simplifies all the rationalization and excuses (32 trumpets, cornets, flugels, french horns, cases, keyboards to date). I started off looking for a trumpet and flugel, and it has just gotten completely out of hand. Which is fine, if that is what does it for ya. I agree you will do better by going to a music store and playing some horns until the right one finds you. And you will probably have to shell out some bucks for a good one, as music stores don't love you and are in it for the money. Plus it cuts down on the competition for me and those like me. Having said all that, try a Holton ST550 while you are play testing everything else. While this is a student horn at .459 bore, the blow is much more free than the other similar bore trumpets I have, and can be had new for under a grand.
TPTXC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every horn has different tendencies. Pick the one you like the most, and PRACTICE. I'm pretty sure the problems will eventually go away. It's not always the horn... For example, my Yamaha C requires alternate fingerings for the Eb and E in the staff. Or does it? I sat down with a tuner one day and went note by note up the scale. Turns out that those notes aren't actually too flat. I was blowing every OTHER note SHARP! Thats why they sounded wrong. The solution? Practicing on it and being concious of my tuning. The moral? It's not always the horn.

Bach 1 1/4C, 24 throat
Curry 50m or 3c-Marching band, Jazz (rare to never)

[ This Message was edited by: TPTXC on 2004-03-23 07:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TPTXC on 2004-03-23 07:03 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: