• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who plays what horn?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what Brand and model trumpet Herb Alpert played?

I checked this website .....
http://abel.hive.no/trompet/player-horn.html
and he isn't listed.
CORNET: Holton Galaxy (Awesome horn)
KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil PC88MX,Yamaha S-30, Casio Privia 575R
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Benge, I believe.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct ...I did some surfing....The trumpet played by Herb Alpert on his recordings is a Benge made in Chicago in 1951. He also played a Burbank too.
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that he started on a Rudy Muck horn. there are some good bio pages on him out there. And I never knew he wasn't Mexican, apparently he's Jewish! Go figure. I've liked his stuff since I was a kid.

Bob
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and MusicMork, Yes I'd say you are obssessed if your up reading TH at this time in the morning.

Bob
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other night i was talking to a friend who is a studio musician and he played a gig with Herb a few weeks ago and he was playing a Kanstul Chicago 1000 gold plated.
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to know what Flugle Chuck Majoine(sp) uses.maybe its change over the years.????????????
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mangione was a Calicchio artist last time I looked. Alpert may have played some Calicchio too. I have seen one horn custom made for him, a pocket trumpet, though I understand he did not like it or keep it long.

Mike
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb also plays a Kanstul flugelhorn. He was featured in Wind Player magazine awhile back (a year or so ago). It was an interesting article.

Kanstul 1600 "WB" w/ Kanstul two-piece B3C & S72 BB
Connstellation 38B
Kanstul 925 Flugelhorn (copper bell) w/ Kanstul two-piece BFL3C w/ 119S BB
Jupiter 416BL Pocket Trpt.
www.measureofgrace.com
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb was always a VERY nice guy, a non-assuming gentleman and now obviously a man with millions...

Plays a Kanstul, that says something.

(or maybe he just knows his limits. )

I love HAATTB too. Had Spanish flea memorized at age 10 and played it for my class-mates after school.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb Alpert and the TJB were a significant part of the musical "environment" so to speak, of the decade of the sixties - a great time to be alive, by the way...

I studied Herb's playing when I was young back then, and learned many things about trumpet playing, musical performance, and showmanship from the Herb and the TJB.

Herb was a very smart musician and businessman, and a master showman and entertainer. He knew how to present this act in the best possible way, and how to achieve success in the music/entertainment/recording business. He surrounded himself with the best possible players, had outstanding ability as an arranger, had an "ear" for what sounded good and a sense for what the general public would buy, and a lot of creativity and originality.

Herb was in the so called "right place at the right time." And, he was able to capitalize on the moment. He had a unique and original sound and style, with some original songs and arrangements that were very commercially successful and well timed. I have always believed that if commercial/business success is the goal, then originality and creativity is far more important than the actual level of ability that the performer possesses. Most trumpet players would agree that there are other players who have playing skills superior to Herb Alpert, but in the end, it doesn't matter, because Herb has accomplished his purposes to an extremely high degree.

I am a product of the sixties musical period. I graduated from high school in 1969. I only regret that it seems that groups and sounds and performers like Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass are no more. Herb did a lot for the world of instrumental music and trumpet playing in particular.

I still sit around and play all the TJB songs I remember - which is most of them - from the "good old days." It was a lot of fun and many great memories...

[ This Message was edited by: DaveH on 2004-03-22 13:57 ]
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey RadioBob...There ARE such people as Mexican Jews too....Herb Alpert is Jewish for sure. When I was 16 my girlfiend was Herb's cousin...she was Jewish and guess what... SO AM I !!!

Interestingly, there are so many great Jewish musicians...but it seems like not too many of them are trumpeters.
CORNET: Holton Galaxy (Awesome horn)
KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil PC88MX,Yamaha S-30, Casio Privia 575R
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that Herb Alpert spent alot of time at the Benge factory, and frequently was having his valves replated. He wore them out fairly quickly. If you put that much wear on an instrument, it is tough to keep playing a 55 year old instrument. Probably why he moved to the Kanstul Chicago.

In addition to playing a Chicago Benge, Herb Alpert collects them as well.

I played in a Herb Alpert revival band for a couple years. It was both fun and embarrassing at the same time. It is a hit at the nursing homes, but the younger crouds have a hard time relating.

I have a 1951 Chicago Benge that I will probably be listing on Ebay in the next week or two.

Steve
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mark, that's a new one too. I had never thought about Mexican Jews before, most are Catholic of course. I think I read that Herb's parents were from Eastern Europe. Seems almost dangerous to even mention religion anymore. There is another poster here, I think his name is Liad, an Israeli I believe, who talks about his research into the traditional Jewish ceremonial horn the shofar, which must be very interesting. And Tom Turner has mentioned he's in a group that tours with a replica of the Ark of the Covenant to teach about the Jewish roots of Christianity.

Bob
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpert's parents are deceased now, but years ago Herb contibuted the funds to build a music center in Jerusalem and dedicated it to his parents. Here is a web page with a little information and some photos on it.

http://www.ablonco.com/alpert/alpert.htm

Mike
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey (radio)Bob,

Why did you write...."Seems almost dangerous to even mention religion anymore". ???

I hope you didn't think you offended me in any way.

I am NOT the sensitive type that gets defensive about his culture or religion. That's not me at ALL.

I ENJOY YOUR POSTS A LOT. Keep them coming and write with conviction and honesty.

Mark
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpert played a Benge throughout the 60s and 70s . however another trumpet Herb Alpert played in the 1980s is the King 1055T Silver Flair (King Musical Instruments model, pre-UMI). I saw him live at Blossom Music Center (summer home of the Cleveland Orchestra) during that time and he played the King for the entire show. This was when his hit song "Rise" was still quite popular. I was sitting in the front row and his playing was absolutely flawless! As I remember, he is shown holding the King on the back cover of one of his LP albums, but I don't remember which one.
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Mark, I didn't think you did. Just making a general observation. Even I as a proudly politically incorrect loudmouth ex-radio talk show host unconsciously tend to posit my thoughts in a "sensitive" way when talking about religion, pollitics, etc. Which is pathetic and shows just how bad things have gotten. You do have to be careful if you want to avoid a fight nowadays, not too long ago I was in a store that had a sign proclaiming they supported a pro-abortion group, which I happen to be against, and I made a comment to the clerk that I wish they wouldn't support that group, and I was instantly attacked by a harridan of a feminist bystander who wasn't even a part of the conversation, and she proceeded to make a scene. Now I enjoy a good argument as much as the next guy, and had some great ones in my radio days, but there's a time and place for it. Everybody just needs to lighten up and learn to laugh at ourselves and even our backgrounds. I happen to be Welsh, American Indian, German, and who knows what all, and it's hard to live down that thing about the Welsh and sheep....I often get teased that whenever I pass a flock of sheep they all go BAAAAB, BAAAB, don't know why....I guess this conversation belongs in the Lounge (or maybe in the toilet) but there you go.

Bob
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a gold Holton T602....I am looking for something better trust me. What is the best intermediate trumpet?
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mangione used to play a Yamaha 631 and 731. Now he plays an all copper Callichio. I saw him about 8 years ago in concert and he played a trumpet the whole time. I wasn't expecting that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: