• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Twisting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!

I have this problem that I know I have to get away from. It's that I twist my lips into my mouthpiece. I have no clue how I started doing this, but it was probably with my embrouchure change. I try to just place it onto my lips, but it does not feel secure. Any tips on how to correct this? Thanks!
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long tones.
Lo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Not to sound rude, but how does long tones help me to get away from twisting my mouth into the mouthpiece? Thanks for all your help.
Dimoak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if you want to play crisp long tones, twisted lips just won't cut it (the notes will come out gurgled and stackedish). By constantly playing them and trying to keep them stable and clean, I think your musclememory will just get used to resisting the tendencies to twist. Every time they happen, just try and resist it. Eventually it should go away. If you're still having issues, you should probably consult a teacher and they could suggest more "fitted" exercises for you. Goodluck!

[ This Message was edited by: Dimoak on 2004-03-22 19:21 ]
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lo writes

...... how does long tones help me to get away from twisting my mouth into the mouthpiece?

The twisting is a device which helps keep the lips together so they will vibrate. It can be very detrimental to your lips, so you are right in wanting to try and reduce it.

Play several minutes of long tones on the mpc/leadpipe. You won't need to twist at all to do this. It just about plays itself. Now put the full horn on without twisting the mpc on and play several minutes of long tones with the same feel as the leadpipe. Try to get a good long blow, but breathe before you need to. Disregard the sound. All you want to do is expose the muscles to the demand of positioning the lips so they will vibrate.

When you play everything else you will have to keep twisting. As the muscles develop they will provide more support for the lips and the twisting will diminish

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2004-03-22 22:13 ]
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before playing, lick your lips plus above/below real well. Then, apply a coating of Vitamin A & D ointment. Then, work long tones on low pitches - low C, 2nd line G. Use very light pressure. Add in easy lip slurs. Do this as a daily exercise and build from there. Continue with the A&D ointment until the twist is completely gone. Best regards, Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: