• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

help on tone developement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chipmunk_faceGG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,
I have been told that I need some help on my tone, because it requires improvement. I have no idea how to go about this so I need some help here. Any suggestions?
buellerbueller

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, poor tone is usually the result of either: 1. not having in your ear a clear definition of how you want to sound, or 2. not having developed your chops enough to make that sound a reality.

If lack of sound concept is holding you back, nothing beats hearing great trumpet playing live. Along with concerts, you can also get invaluable up-close-and-personal listening experience by working with a good teacher (in my experience, that's actually one of the most important things a teacher can provide). And, finally, there's no substitute for building up a repertoire of trumpet recordings to constantly feed your ears.

For building your chops to where they aren't holding you back, there's a wealth of information on this site, albeit with often conflicting advice. Find an approach that makes sense to you, and stick with it for a while - I've had great success with Caruso stuff (check out the Getting Started posts in the Caruso forum for intro guidance) both with my own playing and with students, but every camp on this site has turned out slews of great players. No matter how much they differ on the surface, nearly all of the approaches are focused deep-down on helping you more easily put out into the world the notes you hear in your head.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long notes.
Lip flexibility.
Air.
Bending notes.
Use your ears.

If you have a tonal concept, in your head, of what you wish to sound like you are on the right lines. Experiment during long note exercises until you find that sound. Whilst I was at university I spent a couple of months doing the long note exercises from Schlossberg, concentrating purely on how I sounded. It changed the way I play - I know like the sound I make!
I find thet the best way, for me, to stay in tonal shape is to keep my lips in working order. For me (doesn't work for everybody) I find a large amount of lip flexibility exercises in my warm-up keep the lips on top form. Whenever you change note you are aiming for a consistent tone, with no change in colour between the tone. An even tone throughout your playing register. My university tutor said that if you imagine that the first note doesn't finish until after the second note has started (when slurring) you will be aiming for the right idea. We all know that this is physically impossible, but I find it a very useful concept to imagine.
A decent airflow will aid tonal production a great deal. With a solid column of air you are able to just place the notes on top of it, without air we are unable to play properly.
The bending of tones is a relatively new addition to my practice repertoire. Using semibreves (whole notes) play a low C, then a low B, then back to a C - using the correct fingering. Then repeat the whole exercise using "open." As you are bending try to keep the same full tone on the B that you achieve on the C. You will also find (or at least, everyone I have tried thiis with, including myself, has found) that as you return to the C your tone is fuller than it was when you left it. You find the natural resonance of the trumpet.

Above all else, if you use your ears when playing and listen carefully to every note you produce, you can then see if there are any inconsistencies in your playing and aim to remove them.
A good teacher will be able to assist you in this. If you haven't already got one, I would strongly suggest finding one.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen a lot to Doc Severinsen, Bud Herseth, Phil Smith, etc.......
Also vocalists such as Jussi Bjorling, Mario Lanza.
Sing with a full sound and copy that.
Brlee2003
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Bud Herseth a couple weeks ago and he was just awesome. What a great guy. When he played his tone was impeccable, even after all these years. I hope I get the chance to see him again!
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think Mike has just about nailed it.

Sound concept is important so that you know what you want to sound like. Air support and control are essential in being able to achieve it.

I know that when I'm having problems with my tone (we all have off nights!!) I go back to the long note thing until I'm happy with it. Be critical with yourself and work at it..don't just say 'that'll do' and leave it. Your tone should be consistent from below bottom C to the extent of your range. When you play people will expect you to get the notes but they will be more impressed with your sound.

I've also started to use note bending as part of my practice regime. For me, it helps me to hear and 'feel' the centre of the note. (Actually the Taylor positively encourages you to do it!!)

Hope this helps,

Regards

Trevor
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of related to the original post.

I'm always surprised when I hear a trumpet player with good endurance but the tone is poor. Happens once in a while with players in concert or marching bands where the production of "music" is continuous and demanding.

Usually though it is just an experience issue. Practice/length of years playing seems to round out the sound.

I do know a poor guy who practiced SEVEN hours a day and still stunk... I'm not talking about junk material either. The man played Schlossberg, Arban, Clarke Studies until he was literally blue in the face. You wouldn't have wanted to hear the guy. Not only was his sound bad, but all areas of his playing were inadequate be it sight reading, time, intonation, everything.

Here's the killer: His teacher was a well known symphony dude whom I won't mention because i don't want to embarass him.

Sometimes we "rehearse" our mistakes for years. No teacher can help everyone. It's up to the individual.
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like me and golf!!

Regards

Trevor
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do YOU think is wrong with your tone?

Nate
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK -
As I said to that one guy.....you may just need practice or lessons. Sometimes it is not just the human. It also can be the trumpet/cornet you are using.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: