• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Newbies of newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zargama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been an admirer of the Miles Davis and Louis Armstrong for years, I love the sound of the trumpet. So last weekend, I bought one. Thus, with no musical background whatsoever, I started practicing about an hour every day. I would like to know some beginners tips. I ought to thank the salesman ripped me off and sold me a yamaha advantage book on a clarinet when I clearly asked for trumpet otherwise I would not have discovered this wonderful website.
thegambler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on picking up a new (and great) hobby!

The tip for today (and every day you play trumpet for the rest of your life) is: RELAX
Lo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Congratulations. The clarinet is in the same key as the trumpet (Bb) so you can use the exercises in it, although you will have to figure out the fingerings for yourself. If you are considering this to be a true hobby of yours, I would suggest to find a private trumept teacher so you start off right. I totally regret not having a teacher from the beginning and it is messing me up now. Good luck. Stay relaxed and you will do just fine.
trumpeternick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience, patience, patience.
Lots of things won't happen when you need/want them to and it's ok. That happens to everyone. Many concepts and techniques take lots of time to learn and nail down even for the best players. Also, dont play too much. If you feel any pain, stop and take a good long break. Definetly find a private teacher. Post a question on this site and I'm sure someone will known a teacher in your area. Congratulations on choosing trumpet! I hope you have fun with it (I know you will...)
Zargama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Montreal, Canada where can I find a private teacher?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call your local high school and get in touch with the band director, or call the local music store. At the beginner level having someone see and hear you play will do more good than anything else. Get a copy of Arban's Conservatory Method, as this is the trumpet bible and if you are going to only have one book, this is the one. You may also want to get a copy of Rubank's Elementary Method, a somewhat more expanded beginner book, although it is geared more to the younger student. Still, it is a good text, with good exercises.
Zargama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually I was recommend essential elements 2000 which I about yesterday. What do you think about this book?
I started working and it seems as there is little difference on the sound whether i press the valves or not. Is it because i'm beginning or i am just not doing it right (G & F note)

[ This Message was edited by: zargama on 2004-03-25 19:17 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, congrats on playing trumpet but that clarinet book just won't do even though it's in the same key as trumpet. I would suggest Standard Of Excellence because it tells you most anything you need to know about playing trumpet.
Zargama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually working with essential elements 2000 now. It's a good book lots of useful tip, it's just I am not sure about the difference among the notes I play (G & F). Do I press the valve before or while blowing? Am I unable to tell difference between the notes because of my lack of experience or am I just tone deaf?
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will take a little time before you can figure out what notes sound like what. (For example, the difference between a C and a G, even though they are the same fingering). And lol, yes, you push the valves down before you want to play the note.
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and about the G and F thing... I don't get you there, they are different fingerings, so how wouldn't you be able to tell the difference?
Zargama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean I am unable to tell difference by ear. I mean I can see my fingers pressing the right valves but it does not mean that if I was just listening I would tell the difference.
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would also help if you could hear it on a piano. well all know what a piano scale sounds like right? and a trumpet scale would sound much the same. however, it would be in the key of Bb, but we shouldn't get to that yet.

basically, you know that the piano scale of C major consists of 8 notes. C D E F G A B C

the trumpet scale is much the same, at least the Bb concert or C major (trumpet) scale. It is clearly written in the scales section of the book. Since these are whole notes, with the exception of F to G, you should be able to tell the different in the pitch of the notes because its quite different.

basically, when you press down your first finger, you make the air travel through that valve's tubing, making the distance the air has to travel longer, thus lowering the pitch, so when you play your G (2nd line G) and you press valve 1 (closest to you), you will find the tone will seem to be lower, since the air has a longer distance to travel, and therefore the pitch is lower.

however, the trumpet only has 3 valves, and only a limited number of fingerings, sometimes the notes with the same fingerings. so in order to achieve higher or lower notes, you will have to adjust your lips, by making them tighter or looser to adjust the pitch.

simply work on the first couple of pages in your book, especially on holding long notes, as this will develop a good tone and is the key foundation for moving to the "next" level of playing.

does the essential elements series have the option of a play-a-long cd? some beginner methods have them, and i feel for a starter, especially without a teacher right now, its a good idea to get the cd, so you know exactly that your playing the right way and the correct notes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zargama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an play along cd. I am making improvement thank you very much for your tips. Another question if you don't mind, the player on the cd seems to player a higher pitch, his G sounds higher, how do I make my pitch higher is it by blowing harder? It seems like it. I would like to have notes higher (plus aigu) without being the sound being louder, is that possible?

[ This Message was edited by: Zargama on 2004-03-27 00:38 ]
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If his G sounds higher, you may actually be playing a C. And don't worry about being able to hear a pitch and know what it is, this takes a long time to develop and I don't think very many people are ever actually able to identify every pitch they hear correctly the first time. And to get higher pitches, it may seem like you need to blow harder at first. Higher pitches are really achieved by moving the air faster. I guess a way you could do this is to blow harder. But you can also try to tighten your lips a little bit which will make the hole in your lips smaller so that the air has to go faster in order to be able to get through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: