• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

pressure, and the world around it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValveMaster
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there,
it seems to me after practicing a half hour, that I tend to get a ring around my lips, even after maybe 5 minutes. Anyone know how this might be happening, and what I can do about it?
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cause is most likely excessive mouthpiece pressure, especially in the low and middle registers.

A sharpish rim bite, and rounded rim, can also make a ring more likely - many standard Bach rims are like this. Changing to a cushion rim might help, but they can also encourage the use of more mouthpiece pressure unless you are very careful. Trying specifically to reduce mouthpiece pressure is difficult, as the pressure is not the underlying cause of the problem - a less than optimum lip position combined with the habit or pressing is the cause.

If you are doing BE, this will eventually lead to less mouthpiece pressure, and the ring will lessen or dissappear. If it is not causing any particular problems at the moment, then let it be, and BE will take care of it in time.

Michael
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ring is "normal" for many (most) people. I don't know any lead players that don't get one. The goal should not be to get rid of the ring, but to make a good tone in the range that you play for the duration that you need to play. If you've got good range and endurance and you've still got a ring, then you must be a lead player.

Dave
jarrelainen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if you get a ring from your mpc that depends on many things like how deep your veins under your skin are and the rim profile of the mpc, to mention just a few.
So, even if one doesn't use too much pressure it doesn't really matter too much whether there is a ring.
as long as it doesn't affect your tone and endurance??

Take care
/JK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: