• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Zeus: How Are They?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

Just as a clarification, please note (with emphasis added) ...
Quote:

On 2004-03-30 18:10, tom turner wrote:
<snip!>
THE TRUTH HAs COME OUT BEFORE ON THIS SITE . . .
<snip!>
When I repeatedly pinned him down on details in late 2001 (long before becoming the WT rep. by the way), Alex publically admitted that his Zeus was never intended to be a direct copy, but was created "in the manner, or spirit, of" a 1953 Mt. Vernon.
<snip!>
Not the most visible place for the disclosure, but it was there.

Don,
Great post! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
musicalmason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, before becoming a member of this forum or other online forums, was looking for a horn and found the zeus website, they really looked like good horns and I was intrested in them. I have never played one nor will I ever play one, because since becoming a member of these forums I have been so disgusted with their salesmenship I would be embarresed to put one to my lips. In my opinion if the horn is so great you should let it work for you, you might have sold one to me.
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zeus is a great horn. It may not be the horn for you or even the horn for anyone you know. But that doesn't change the fact that it is a great horn. I could say that Schilke is the best horn ever (and I do believe it is an awesome horn). However, I had a very experienced player play my Schilke and he hated it. He thought that it was stuffy and he thought the intonation was bad. I had the total opposite opinion of the horn. How could a Schilke X3 be stuffy. There is no one that disputes that Schilke makes a great horn. I will also say that Schilke has built the name and reputation of Schilke over many decades to stand for what it does today. The marketing strategy that Zeus uses is completely different. It is different because it is a much smaller operation and a very arrogant marketer runs the business. I will have to say that I don't approve of the this strategy, but Alex and I do have to get the word out about these horns. I only market the product in this manner on this trumpet forum. I don't talk like this to customers or potential local customers.

I think that Zeus horns are a great value. To say the Bb's play like a student model Kanstul could be a stretch. The C's are out of this world though. I have played Bb's that I like better, but none anywhere close to the price range of $950. I will admit to you that as you read this I am looking for a used Monette horn. But there is nothing under a Monette or a Blackburn that I would rather have.

Bottom line: I don't care if you won't buy a horn because of its marketing strategy.

Also, I meant no sarcasm to Phil about the spring break thing. Honest.

And all I was saying about the Wild Things was, if I can buy a WT for $1500, and it plays better than a Zeus, I will endorse them. I support the product I play and I won't play junk.

Zeus Olympus
Zeus Guarnerius Bb
Zeus Guarnerius C
2 antique Bach 37's that sit at the house

"If you are still talking about what you did yesterday, you didn't do jack today"
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is ZeuS junk? That is my last question to this forum. Promise!
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOPE!!!
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Oh please! Must you word the question that way? The implication in your query is tiring.

5 minutes of actually doing some reading on this board instead of attempting to provoke, would have resulted in a reasonably informed consensus.

Superlatives aside, and fanboys and haters aside, the consensus I gather is:

"The Zeus is a decent quality instrument (not phenomenal, not horrid, but of consistent quality), able to compete with lower-to-mid range professional horns. At its price point it is definitely worth consideration. If you are looking for a non-custom-made pro horn, it is worth auditioning. Buy the horn not the marketing."

Do we really need to flog this horse every damned month?

-Dan

P.S. Sorry, just irritated at the cycle that keeps repeating...

[ This Message was edited by: heavyharmonies on 2004-03-31 20:24 ]
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-03-31 19:56, mheffernen5 wrote:
I don't think I've heard anyone describe a ZeuS as junk. Some people love 'em, they're not a fit for other people. Since the horn is made by Kanstul, I'd expect good workmanship, the question is whether or not it's right for you. When I bought my Kanstul Chicago, I tried a bunch of Kanstul-label horns. Some were a fit, some weren't, but they were all nice horns.

Bottom line, you'll have to try a ZeuS to know if it's right for you.

Keep on asking those question!

Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mheffernen5,

The answer to your last question is 'no'. They are not junk. Unfortunately, just about every thread with the name 'ZeuS' in it turns ugly real fast. Many feathers were ruffled in the past which is obvious from the last 3 pages. Please don't let this discourage you from posting here on TH in the future.

Your original question asked if ZeuS was better than Bach or Yamaha. I happen to prefer my Guarnerius over any Bach or Yamaha that I've played. As you noticed, the anwers you received were mostly 'Hell Yes' or 'Hell No' with a very few in the middle. Most trumpet players are very defensive of the horn they play and will tell you theirs is better than anyone elses. That's just the nature of the beast. I've been guilty of getting a bit too excited myself at times. It can happen to the best of us. Actually, there are many ZeuS owners who choose to stay out of these threads, and many, many more that don't post on forums at all.

One new ZeuS trumpet is sold, on average, every day of the week. In the last year or so about 14 dealers have started selling horns for Zachary Music. The Newest dealer is in Belgium, and there are more coming soon to Europe including France, Germany, Norway and England (London). Most of the dealers bought a ZeuS horn first for personal use and loved it so much they became dealers, me included.

Here's my opinion of the ZeuS horns. The Guarnerius is an excellent all-around horn. I play mine in Symphonic Orchestra, small brass ensemble, big band and everything in between. Some say the Guarnerius is stuffy or has too much resistance. I personally don't think it is any more so than most conventional ML bore horns. I don't have any problems blending with the other trumpet players. I have many friends that play Bachs and Yamis. We get along just great (even though I sound better than them.......{I couldn't resist throwing that in} ). Heck, I even have friends that play Schilke's.

The Olympus is a whole different horn. Easy blowing with a huge warm sound and plenty of overtones. Large bore with a large bell. This horn is not for the meek or timid.

The only way to know how a ZeuS horn plays is to play one. Find a dealer near you and see what YOU think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Thanks for lending some credibility to marketing the Zeus name. They are worth considering for anyone, and if more dealers took the time, effort, and consideration that your post has, I am sure that the Zeus name would be growing even faster than it is now. I do not doubt the intentions of Zeusfan, but he/she could learn something from your example here in how to deal with people in a written forum.

Respectfully,

Paul Poovey
Pork chops

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeuSfan,
I reread my post concerning Zeus trumpets and I did not find any personal
attack against you. and I didn't say anything like "ZeuS trumpets are JUNK",
other people have said that but I didn't say it . I just said that I wasn't impressed
with them.AND I WASN"T!!
You seem to be the one who is getting your panties in a wad because many players
just don't seem to share your opinion of ZueS trumpets .
I still say thay the BEST recreation of a Bach MT VERNON is the
HOLTON T 101.

Let me conclude by saying that I do not work for HOLTON and I have no other agenda
except for expressing my opinion. you can slam me all you want,but as you can see
from the previous posts that it only weakens you case concerning your beloved ZueS.
Plus, if the horn was as great as you claim it would speak for itself, all of your ranting and raving just weakens the case for your product,
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not buy Zeus instruments. They are junk. No one in their right mind should play them. Alex is a thief and a liar. My panties are in a wad and I can't seem to get them out. I am now wondering why I put the panties on in the first place.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

By the way "panties" comment is a personal attack and I will not stand for it. Boo Hoo!

Zeus Olympus
Zeus Guarnerius Bb
Zeus Guarnerius C

"If you are still talking about what you did yesterday, you didn't do jack today"
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan! Yeah I am sorry for the last question, but that was the impression I was getting. They look pretty affordable--I should be upgrading if my report card is good. I don't know why people act the way they do. On another website, I said don't judge a book by its cover. And that is what everyone does.

Molly
indigruuv

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd add my comment to the thread.

I am a DC area freelancer with a BA in trumpet performance from University of Maryland. My current focus is Jazz and commercial music. I am featured with the soul group Fertile Ground, and have recorded with Lafayette Gilchrist's New Volcano Ensemble (3CDs). I've played for about 25 years now and currently make my humble living playing the trumpet/flugelhorn.

For the first 15 years post college I gigged on a Burbank 3star after selling the Bach 43 and Yammie 6335HGS that I bought during my studies. I went from that to a Yamaha 6345 standard weight large bore for a year. I loved the feel and response but didn't like the way I sounded on recordings playing it (too dry if that makes sense). I then bought a used 1972 37 that I felt played great; good intonation beautiful sound and projection and very pleasing sound on wax. Unfortunately that horn was butchered during a repair job (a long story!). I was forced to play a borrowed 72* while I searched for a replacement to my 37.

I cant remember how I stumbled onto the Zeus website but I must admit that I was intrigued by the look of the horns. The over-the-top marketing claims seemed a bit hyperbolic though and so I searched for more info here and on TPIN as well as elsewhere on the net.

I eventually gave in to my curiosity and popped for a Zeus G. ABL900, the bead-blasted lacquer finish. I've bought it on the payment plan to lower my risk, and fully expected to return it thinking that it would fail my play test.

Upon receiving the horn I was pleasantly surprised. My first impression was that it presented a bit more resistance to the airstream than my 37 and of course the 72. The sound was rich but with a tilt toward the bright end of the sound spectrum. The intonation was dead-on. The character of the sound was suprisingly Bach-like despite its brightness. What I mean by that is that it had a pleasing (to me) coloration that blooms at about 2feet from the bell and the notes were very even from low F# to Eb above high C. Beyond that I tend to thin out anyway (working on that!)

Really though the evenness of scale was immediately perceptable to me, and was the first thing that the sax player in my main band mentioned upon hearing me play the Zeus.

I also play 2nd/solo chair in the Eubie Blake Legacy Big Band. The lead player plays a 72, the 3rd & 4th chair guys play a 25Ls and the utility/reserves play Yamaha 6335 and Schilke X3. On most days I'm in a section of all Strads. I have no ploblem blending. The only chalenge is not to play too loudly as there is less sound behind the bell on the Zeus than with either of my Strads.

All in all I am good with my purchase. Play-wise I have few complaints. The only rocks I would throw are that there are a few item in the fit and finish area that could be improved. Of course these may be what they sacrificed to keep the price down.

Things such as slightly sloppy solder joints at brace points, top valve caps of differing extrusion, sharp edged slide ports (Bach's are rolled or beaded).

That said I definitely feel I got more than my money's worth in playing quality, and everybody digs the antiqued finish!

Freddie Dunn Jr.
Trumpet/Flugelhorn
Fertile Ground
Lafayette Gilchrist's New Volcanos
Fredd Dunn Sextet
Eubie Blake Legacy Band

Equipment:
Zeus Guarnerius 900ABL W/Curry 3ZE mouthpiece
Yamaha 6310Z Flugel W/Curry 3FL mouthpiece
Bach Strad 72*
Jupiter XO 1645S Flugel
Stork 2 mouthpieces
Picket 3 with Reeves Sleeves

"patience, persistence, timing; flexibility, focus, and vogue!"

Freddie Dunn
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think I found a nerve. It seems like some of you are very intimidated at the success that Zeus horns are having. It's almost like some of you sell trumpets for other companies that are being out sold by Zeus. Oh wait, you do! How are the Wild Thing sales coming for you Tom. I find it very strange for you to be so defensive about a less expensive horn than the Wild Thing. Could it be that you are losing some sales? The Zeus Olympus is nearly half the price. I am entertained at how you pick apart a horn (Zeus) that you say is manufactured by Kanstul. On the Wild Thing testimonial page it says the Kanstul makes Wild Things as well. HMMMMMM? If the same manufacturer makes both horns and the Wild Thing is double the price it seems to me like someone is being a bit dishonest doesn't it? You can attack Alex for posting lies on his website that only you can prove or you can be dishonest to the market. The public will buy something that is expensive just because it is expensive. I understand that Wild Thing sales for more because it is inticing to buyers at the high price. "It must be a better horn since it is $1000 more" No way! It may be a different horn but not better than Zeus. I want to put a horn in a student's hands that they can afford and enjoy the rest of their life and that their parent's will not have to max out their credit cards to afford.

Since you say that Kanstul makes Zeus and I know that Kanstul makes Wild Things, I will buy a new Wild Thing .470 bore horn in any finish that I desire for $1500.00.
Send me an email with the address I need to ship the check to, and I will send it right out.

The other day I was talking to a used Monette dealer, and he said that he had heard great things about the Zeus trumpets. How about that, a Zeus receiving praise from a seller of $10,000 horns. He has said to me in the past that he can't stand playing Bach horns. He says intonation is horrible on them and also on Taylor.

As for you Porkchops, I can say that I play for anybody in the world. It is easy to fabricate stuff under a false name. You haven't had the courage to post your real name. And, churches will pay almost any one to play an instrument in their orchestra. I have been paid to play in church orchestras since 7th grade. That is not saying much. You didn't even say where you are from. I am sure there are tons of gigs you can get in Mayberry.

By the way, Phil, I think you misunderstood I said spring-break, as in college spring-break, not my valve spring-break. Oops!

I am assuming that this thread will be pulled since the moderators are intimidated by Zeus horns as well. This is not a very fair forum is it? Have fun reading while you can!

Zeus Olympus
Zeus Guarnerius Bb
Zeus Guarnerius C

Zeusfan-
I know Pork Chops personally. He is hired by a church to play all the services (about 5 a week). This church will NOT hire mediocre musicians and they are not begging people to play in the orchestra. There are literally hundreds of trumpet players (maybe thousands) that would love to have that gig, but HE was hired to do it. It is very demanding and he (Pork Chops) plays and handles it very well. I have heard him play at literally hundreds of services. Everything he has told you is the truth. Do not make posts personal.

[ This Message was edited by: fuzzyjon79 on 2004-04-01 23:31 ]
MUSICandCHARACTER
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have refrained myself thus far, but I am going to reiterate what I have said before.

I have demoed the ZeuS trumpets in four different states now. From professionals to amateurs of the higher caliber, I have heard them play the ZeuS and make their comments. I have sold several just in the last week.

There is no doubt that Alex has marketed in a way that has been offensive to people. He has, in recent months, toned it down quite a bit (he is banned from this board as far as I know). That is a fact. You can dislike Alex and his marketing -- and that is OK by me.

But the ZeuS Guarnerius and Olympus are extraordinary horns. The "energy" Mr. Zachary has put into ruffling some feathers is multiplied many times and used to design horns. In that regard, Mr. Zachary has shown spectacular skill. The Olympus is nearly impossible to compare to any other horn. A Wild Thing, maybe. A Conn V1 with a reverse leadpipe, close. Now that is not to say that the Olympus is better for everyone than these horns (or the plethora of horns I did not mention). But Mr. Zachary has designed a tremendous set of horns in the Guarnerius (a copy primarily of the great Mt. Vernon Bach with modern touches) and the Olympus.

These are great horns. Like so many "top-shelf" horns they may not be for everyone. But there is no doubt that these horns take a back seat to no horn. They are on that top shelf. You may dislike (or use a stronger word here) Alex. But his knowledge of trumpets and his design skills honed from years of being a trumpet tech are amazing.

I have driven 300 miles or more several times to demo an Olympus to a player looking to replace an aging axe. He/she may not buy the Olympus. But that won't be because he/she didn't like it -- he/she may like something else a tiny bit more. I have helped him/her in his process of buying a new horn buy removing some nagging doubt that he/she might have had if he/she had never played the Olympus.

Where Mr. Zachary has done something well is in obtaining dealers. Players selling to other players. It is something I love to do. I drive hundred of miles sometimes to demo the ZeuS line. I meet great people, answer questions, have discussions and play horns. It is great. The Olympus is sold out at the moment. The next shipment is over 50% sold and it hasn't arrived yet. Dealers, like Dan, have sold their own personal horns to people who want one.

We, the ZeuS dealers, sell player to player (so do some others I know of). Well sell the highest quality horns coming from one of the greatest factories in the US. You can choose to hate Alex. You can hate him enough to trash the ZeuS name all the time. But in the long run, the horns will speak for themselves. They already are selling beyond belief. The horns are incredible.

I have not always agreed with Mr. Zachary's "marketing" and we have had conversations about it. But I do have a profound respect for the man's knowledge and skills and the horns he has produced. I also have a profound respect for those working for Zig Kanstul.

M&C

- Emile Zola (1840-1902)

[ This Message was edited by: MUSICandCHARACTER on 2004-04-02 00:13 ]
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: zeusfan on 2004-04-02 08:18 ]
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference.... you are being derogatory and we are sick and tired of it. I backed Pork Chop's credentials. Everything he has said is the truth. Quit making derogatory comments about people. I have in no way, shape, form or fashion said anything negative about you or Zeus trumpets and we expect the same in return. State your opinion and be prepared to have people agree/disagree with you. Period. End of discussion.

[ This Message was edited by: fuzzyjon79 on 2004-04-02 01:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: fuzzyjon79 on 2004-04-02 01:15 ]
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, excellent comments! I disagree with Alex's marketing as well, but I choose to go with the flow. I am not near as confrontational as it seems in reality, it is just fun to see how much everyone backs the horn that they are playing. I probably need to tone it down a bit or at ITG I am going to whipped! Nevermind, if these are the type players that I went to school with, I think I can take them.

Hey fuzzy, I hope you have a great weekend!
GTM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My, my, my...it is amazing what you can find after being without computer access for a few days! Here is my take on the situation...

I am the person with the "ZeuS booth" at the TMEA this past February. I was happy to have met MANY wonderful people through this convention, and I hope to be able to attend next year's TMEA as well!

The one thing that I remember receiving, almost overwhelmingly, was VERY positive response to the ZeuS instruments! Yes, there were some who indicated that, though nice, they still preferred their particular horn...and this is completely understandable. However, of the VERY RARE responses that I received, which tended to be more on the negative side, I was surprised that these responses came after the particular individuals played, at a maximum, only 30 seconds on the instrument(s)! And some of these individuals struggled just to play a scale! Frankly, I don't think 30 seconds would do justice to a ZeuS, or Callet, or Wild Thing, or Taylor, or Monette, etc....you get the picture.

Now, concerning porkchop...he (or she) is certainly entitled to his own opinion! The ZeuS trumpets, like every other make, is not for everyone! I will be the first to admit that! But, I am also somewhat cautious of porkchops opinion because, to the best of my remembrance, and as I stated earlier, the only people who were quiet on the subject, or who thought negatively about them, either did not play an instrument long enough to give it a fair chance, or else played at the level of a near beginner! Was porkchop one of these who only played on the instrument 30 seconds, or played at the level of a near beginner? I don't know.

I DO know this, however...Carl Saunders came by my booth, and played tested the ZeuS Olympus that I had out for demo! He liked the horn!! Does this mean he is going to switch over and start playing ZeuS instruments? Of course not! But it does lend a certain amount of credibility to the quality of our instruments! And I certainly believe it gives much greater credibility than to an anonymous poster!

Long and short of it is this...I tried out the ZeuS, and found them to be the horn for me! Only YOU can decide if the ZeuS is for you or not. Remember, one man's trash is another man's treasure! Thankfully, as a ZeuS dealer, it has been a privilege to introduce many to the quality of the ZeuS instruments!

It's the horn folks....and the ZeuS trumpets represent a very good instrument, at a very good price, made by a very good manufacturer!!

Blessings,
Golden Trumpet Ministries
Endorsing Artist - Wedge Mouthpieces and Phaeton Trumpets and Flugelhorns
cybersnyder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's the horn folks....and the ZeuS trumpets represent a very good instrument, at a very good price, made by a very good manufacturer!!

Michael, it may be a fine instrument, but it's the "karma" associated with it that turns me off. In my opinion, there are just too many instruments and choices out there to buy a brand that has been marketed with such negativity. Seems like the first thing you should do is wipe the sleaze off when you pull it out of the case. I briefly considered trying one, but digging through the archives and reading comments by the "manufacturer" convinced me that it wasn't the way to go.

I think in the end that it is true: "You get what you pay for."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: