• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Low cost large bore trumpets

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am probably going to be playing trumpet in my college marching band next year and I am looking into getting a large bore instrument. The would not be for all around playing, just for marching band.
I can overblow my ML bore bach strad really easily so I am looking for something that I can push a little bit harder without getting that unpleasant edge to the sound.
I don't want to spend more then $500 but I could stretch that a little bit.
A lighter weight would also be good.

Any suggestions?

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

Now a synth junkie as well
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck! I don't know anything out there with a large bore for that price. You may want to watch ebay, something may pop up for around that price.

Zeus Olympus
Zeus Guarnerius Bb
Zeus Guarnerius C
2 antique Bach 37's that sit at the house

"If you are still talking about what you did yesterday, you didn't do jack today"
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No contest! The poor man's Wild Thing... the Kanstul COL103... 470 bore, projects like a mug, professional level horn, price is right. Brasswind (wwbw.com) has it but I bet you can find it cheaper at places like PickMusic or Chuck Levin's Washington Music, etc.-- let your fingers do the walking (and talking).

I've played this model, and it's a very, very good horn. I came close to choosing it as an everyday player-- and others might; nothing wrong with that.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A used MF Horn, or a B and H Emperor, if you can find one.
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark beat me to it! I tried this horn out when I was shopping for a new trumpet last December ... it was a nice horn but too large a bore for me. I also love the sound I get with my Chicago MLP!

Here's some info on the horn:
http://www.kanstul.net/pages/instruments/marching/col103%20pgs/col103m.html

Get in touch with PC King at PiCK Music .. she posts here as PiCK Kanstul (and as pair of kings).
http://www.pickmusic.net/

Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find a used Holton MF 302 in the $500 to 600 price range .468 bore. Some of the Conn Heritage series trumpets from the 90's were .464 bore. While you might find some "vintage" trumpets in LB you always run the risk of having to do a valve job to get them in playing condition. Do you absolutely need a trumpet? If you simply want to churn out the sound level, an old Conn Connstellation short model cornet or the Connquest from the 60's at .485 bore would be hard to overblow. An Olds Ambassador or Reynolds Medalist cornet at .468 bore can put out the sound too with the right mouthpiece at an e-bay price of perhaps $100. You could also try a mouthpiece with a bigger throat and backbore (CG Personal) - with a used , cheap ML trumpet.
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a more open back bore or throat on your mouthpiece would let you use the horn you already have?
jblo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't one of the newer Kings a large bore - like maybe the Legend. I think one of the newer Conns is as well - maybe the Connstellation. You'll have to look into the prices of these but they fall in the "step-up" level. I don't really think these horns have a great reputation among serious trumpet players and I've never played them so I can't comment. Perhaps your money might be best spent by looking used or as mentioned with the Kanstul.

Bb - CarolBrass CTR-5205L-YLT-P
Cornet - CarolBrass CCR-6880-YLS-P
C - CarolBrass CTR-6262H-YSS-P-C
Flug - CarolBrass CFL-6200-RSS-L
Picc - CarolBrass CPC-7735F-YLS-P
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info so far. I'm going to try to demo one of the kanstul 103s if I can find one. Right now I've been playing on a marcinkewitz bobby shew #1 that I have had bored out to be roughly in between a schilke "d" and "e" back bore, so I don't think that the mouthpiece is holding my sound back.
Does anybody know where I might be able to find a used kanstul? Maybe somebody here knows of a corps that is replacing its instruments or a similar situation?

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could maybe find a used light/older Schilke or Yamaha large bore model at that price. I am sure the lacquer/silver will be worn at that price.. but who cares?

I think the COL 103 is more than $500(besides what do you need a shiny new horn for marching band for?). College is right around the corner right?
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will actually be my fifth year in my college marching band, just my first year playing trumpet in it. I know that the kanstul will cost more then 500, but I am starting to think it will be worth spending a bit more on a quality horn like the kanstul in the long run.

I am also playing lead in one of the jazz bands currently and it would be nice to have a jazz horn that I can push a bit more then my conn 40b or my bach.

[ This Message was edited by: Sooner on 2004-03-30 16:39 ]
musicalmason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dillons has a used callet for $695, I played it while I was there and it was a very good horn, I personally did not like the fact it didnt have the first valve saddle and I'm far to lazy to have one installed. It is large bore though and would be good for marching band.
JOEG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check out any of the used Yamaha's. Although they generally at least $600-700, that is going to be the starting point for a used pro horn in decent shape.

You may also want to keep an eye out for a King L Bore Legend or a L Bore Getzen.

Joe
Dillon Music
http://www.DillonMusic.com
Joe@DillonMusic.com
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been given a pretty good offer for a large bore getzen, but its "only" a .462 bore. I know thats still large, but I don't know how much of a difference that will make over my .459 conn.

Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I "can" overblow my Bach really easily too. That doesn't mean I need a new horn, it just means I don't need to blow that hard...

Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that anyone can over blow thier horn and that usually people like to blame their equipment on that, however in this case however I am going to be playing in a marching band that prides (no pun intended) itself on its ability to play loud, in tune, and with percision. I don't think anyone could play stuff in the staff at a true FFF on a ML bore horn without overblowing.

Levermann
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for the French Besson .464 ( Marvin Stamm or/ and Najoom). Ebay !!
Made by Kanstul. Incredible !
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sooner!

I find Bore size to be one of the most overrated stats on a horn.

If you think that no one can play fff on a ML bore horn how did Maynard play ffff with a .438 bore horn?

I can play louder on My Eclipse (.460 I think) than I ever could on my old Monettes (.472!). In the staff as well as above/below it I project far superior on the Eclipse than the Monette.

There are so many other factors that go in to horn making other than bore size.

I do agree with the other posters on the Kanstul trumpet... that horn has huge components including bore size that make it favor "corps" style playing.

Take care!

Trent
http://www.trentaustin.com
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always under the impression that Maynard played on a rather large bore horn. Of course most of what he plays FFFF wouldn't really be considered "in the staff". lol
I do know what you mean about bore size not being the only factor in how well a horn can project, but I have found in my tests with an SPL that what people percive as being "lounder" is most often just a more focused sound. You would be amazed at how often a "louder" sound is actually a few decibels softer then a "softer" but less focused sound.
I also don't think a large bore horn can hurt considering that I am used to playing on a .468 bore mellophone.
Plus it's always fun to get a new horn.

plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard played a Connstellation during the late '50's and early '60's, although the trumpet he is playing on the 1963 'Sextet' cover looks more like an 8-B, although it could be a Connie sans trigger. The Connie is a .438 bore, and many will say (myself included) these were his best playing years, much more rounded and musical as opposed to just damn high.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: