• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

It's time...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... for me to start thinking about getting an Eb / D trumpet. I'm hopefully going to college either this year or next year, and I've been told I should start looking for one.

I know virtually nothing about these things - but I've heard that Schilke do a good one.

What are some other makes to check out (would it be the same as for Bbs - ie. Bach / Yamaha / Conn etc.?) and also how much is one of these babies going to set me back?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jack.
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, you should try out as many horns as you can and buy the one that works best for you. Since Bach has something of a reputation for inconsistency, you should try several Strad 189's before you buy one or decide to go with spmething else. Kanstul has a very good reputation; it would be hard to go wrong with one of theirs.
Of couse, much depends on your budget. If it were me and money
were no object, I'd probably go with a Schilke. On the other hand, if you're looking for a great bargain, check out the Yamaha 6610S toward the bottom of this page:

http://www.brassnwoodwind.com.au/newtrumpets.html
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are on the other side of the pond, I would check out some of the Stomvi's since you may be able to get a good deal ... All the Stomvi Picc & Eb/D's I've played have been very nice... I've also heard good thing about the B&S horns but I havn't played one yet..

Kevin

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke
Yamaha
Stomvi
B&S
Smith-Watkins
Kanstul
Blackburn

Well, that should give you a good start. Of these that I have played (all of them so far), the Blackburn comes out ahead of all the others, but has a price tag that will make you think twice. As for the more common makes (such as those you will find at Parkers - if you want to stay local), the most popular is the Schilke. I have played a number of these and found them to be excellent trumpets. Yamaha also produces some stunning Eb/D trumpets (I use a Yamaha), which compare very favourably.

You should definitely try out the others, if you can. The only ones that might prove a problem to try are the Blackburns - I don't know of many people over here who use them - and you won't find them in the shops - they are built to order. Parkers usually have both the B&S and the Stomvi models in stock, both are excellent value for money and will work very well alongside most other makes.
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - the Blackburns are probably out of my price range if they're built to order!

I suppose it's time for another trip to Parkers.

Thanks as always for the advice.

Jack.
M.lock3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon if budget is a problem you would be very pleasantly surprised with the standard Yamaha model 6610 ( I believe that is correct YTR number) .
I have played and owned one and it is fine and remember you do not need to buy a new one . Just one that sounds good and plays as well in tune as is possible .
regards
Mike
6pk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetmike's list looks like the best way to go. The B&S's are fantastic value for money, they're not quite as easy to play as a schilke but they seem to blend a little better and they're half the price. I'm an avid Bach fan BUT I think their Eb's are the worst instruments on the planets, I find them harder work than a Bb or C, they sound nice but are horrible to play.
I started on a Yamaha short model, then bought a schilke 4 valve once I entered the business. Those short model Yamaha's are great, I know lots of Pro's still use them, I saw Paul Benniston use one for the beginning of Mahler 5 (on the d side),so if its good enough for him etc...(wish I'd kept it)

[ This Message was edited by: 6pk on 2004-03-31 05:43 ]
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im looking too, (bit waiting till my loan comes through, sent it off today!) i know a few people who have stomvi's and they are nice to play, with a nice high range, the leo mozart sounds great on them.

Myatt has a B&S on special offer for £999 and Parker has two S/H schilke Eb (not too sure about D slides) and E3L and an E3L4. theres also a selmer an http://www.musicalinstrumentsales.co.uk but i have no idea what thery are like.

have fun, sam
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Myatt in Hitchin are probably also worth a look as well
Mark
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dhh meant to add Dawkes as well,
http://www.dawkes.co.uk/dawkes/index.html
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - budget is going to be an issue with this purchase (poor starving student etc.), so I almost certainly will go for a second hand one.
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw an old besson A class with both slides the other day for £300 but i was narow bore thats if you looking extreamly cheap! http://www.jpbrass.co.uk they also sell weril trumpets but do not toutch them they have no compression whatsoever. all the slides pulled off with no effort. probably best to spend a bit more on a good second hand make.

sam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: