• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Moment of True Clarity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Composing Trumpet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after several years of playing this blasted pain in my rear instrument, and I finally the nerve to start challenging what I've been tought. I have always centered the mouthpiece right at the point symetry on my chops. Unfortunately my face isn't perfect. Actually my front left tooth is probably half a millimeter more foward than my right front. This might seem like nothing but think about what tight tollerences we expect for our equipment.

To make a long story slightly shorter, I tried placing the moutpiece slightly to the left on my chops. My range has automatically improved, my endurance no limits at this point (played for about 6 hours today, don't feel the least bit tired) and my sound cannot break up at loud volumes like it used to. Intonation is improved simply because I'm not working as hard and there is better flexibility.

I tried moving it to the right and I think I sounded better when I picked it up the first time in 10th grade.

I think the moral to the story is perhaps, that when we get so idealistic about priciples of alignment and such, we forget the fact that most people are not properly aligned. Any comments?

Mike Fortunato
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jarrelainen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I completely agree, it is and will always be that "everyone is his/her own best teacher".
Our body tries to tell us what to do, because it knows subconsciously what to do that works for us, thats why we never should lock our selves in a corner, but keep exploring, even if that is easier said than done

/JK
Dimoak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say I also agree with that. Even though listening to those who know is often a good idea, sometimes you have to tweak what you've heard or been told a bit. For example, I have an underbite with my teeth. We're often told that when playing, our upper lip should be doing most of the buzzing. When I tried this approach, my buzz would sometimes chop up and the sound quality and flexibility of my embouchure, well, sucked. Now that I've adjusted it at bit and began playing with less pressure, centering more embouchure a bit more, and began buzzing with a slightly more open embouchure and less pressure, I think I've noticed a pretty sizable improvement in the consistency of my buzz and my ability to stretch and compress my lips more easily and effectively, with less tone loss. As everyone seems to say, in the end, we're often our own best teachers. An instructor or an expert can guide us, but it's ultimately up to the players to figure out what they feel is best for them.

[ This Message was edited by: Dimoak on 2004-03-31 12:49 ]
EddieLewis
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an essay on my site which talks specifically about this subject:

http://www.eddielewis.com/trumpet/essays/totheside.htm

But I would also like to add that teachers don't always know these things but that doesn't make them bad teachers. If a teacher doesn't play off to the side, what frame of reference do they have to teach that? You can't hold that against them.
Composing Trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame no one but myself. I had my first lesson like 3 years ago. I had made my embouchure long before that. It's just that it never occured to me to try because experimentation like that is often discouraged.

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very glad to see that Mike doesn't blame his teacher for this one... likely his teacher wasn't too concerned about Mike's range since he already had a double G+ that was louder than hell...

Nonsense Eliminator
aka Richard Sandals
aka Mike's Former Teacher
Composing Trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess my first lesson really was more like 5 years ago, I meant applied lessons at IU (my lessons with richard were extracurricular, I was a piano major). Thanks for getting me started in the right direction Richard. Hope things are well in Toronto, say hello to Chris for me. BTW, I ditched monette mouthpieces. I guess now that you're not here to tell me how much better I sound conventional stuff I can finally understand why.
Riggs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, just take a look at the angle that Jon Faddis plays. It's all good!
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play off to the left side due to teeth formation...ya gotta place it where it works, where you get response, etc., etc.
What looks "prettiest" is not always the best placement..
Bob List, Baltimore
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: