• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Smooth Jazz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gillestar1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I like Rich Braun...have not been following this too closely, but wanted to put a vote in for him. Does he compare to the all-time greats....No. Do I enjoy listening to him as much...YES!! So shoot me......LOL

Kurt
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started liking Braun a lot when the song "Shake It Up" began to get airplay - on the smooth jazz station. I think a lot of this music would be more appropriately called "instrumental pop."

I bought the Shake It Up CD - the Rick Braun/Boney James collaboration - and listen to it quite a bit. I think there is some very "tasteful" trumpet playing on it. Rick has great control and tone - seems to play effortlessly. I admire someone who makes it all sound so easy. There is quite a bit of variety - you might call it "instrumental pop," but that's OK - I still like it. I think Rick does some great playing on it - I wish I could even come somewhere close to the sound...

Regarding Botti, I like his song "Drive Time." It's another one that shows off tone, styling, phrasing, and control.

Not only do these guys sound great, but they have what I call CONTROL - they can make the horn do exactly what they want it to. The mechanical limitations/restrictions that confront so many players have been overcome and the sound just comes flowing out.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ear candy. Blechh.
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah shoot.

I was just about to submit my best Chris Botti transcription for consideration on shout.net~jh.

in the can you go.
cybertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't like about what they call smooth jazz is that it implies that real jazz is not smooth? Joe Henderson playing Lush Life is about as smooth as it gets in my opinion. So much of that "smooth jazz" is just the most unmusical thing I have ever heard. Some of it is good, but again, none compares to the real deal. I saw Botti in a clinic and it was terrible. All he did was talk about the people that he knew and the places he played. I left the clinic thinking, "what the heck was that all about??" I have, however, left a Bobby Shew clinic totally inspired and enlightened!! Not I call that SMOOTH!!
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-04-20 17:23, cybertrumpet wrote:
I saw Botti in a clinic and it was terrible. All he did was talk about the people that he knew and the places he played. I left the clinic thinking, "what the heck was that all about??"

That's pop musicians for you. They may not be accustomed to meeting groups of knowledgable people who actually know something about music. More typically they just meet their fan base, most of whom are musically challenged from the get-go.
Larry Smithee
marktrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think music falls into two categories. Good and bad.

If something is bad or good we as musicians should figure out why, otherwise we cannot grow as musicians. There is some smooth jazz, as the recording industry has labeled it, that I feel is great. However, some of it is not so good.

I can say the same about some straight ahead jazz CDs I've purchased too. The players might be great but for whatever reason, (the players were tired or stoned, the compositions lack something, the engineer doesn't know what he/she is doing, or tries to control the musical creation, etc.) the music does not convey anything and is not good.

To put music into a category and not listen to any of it because you think it is all the same, is your choice, but you might just miss something that you can use yourself to become a better musician and artisit.
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 'smooth jazz' phenomenon has been a good thing for music. Although I do not enjoy that style of music I think it has done good things for 'traditional' jazz. There are a number of listeners of straight ahead jazz that developed interest after being introduced to the idiom through 'smooth jazz'. At one time (the ignorance of youth) I thought Grover Washington and Chuck Mangione were at the very top of the artistic scale and that specifically Mangione was saying all there was to be said on the flugel horn. My dad, who was busy introducing me to Miles, Dizzy, and a host of others, thought me nuts. There are players who are burning up both the traditional and smooth jazz charts...Kenny Garrett did it with a recent release. Dales speaks to artists of the day playing the pop tunes of the day (Porter, Berlin, Mercer, et al). Herbie Hancock gave an offering that included Prince, Sade, Kurt Cobain, Lennon/McCarthy that could not possibly be misconstrued as 'smooth jazz'. An artist can only do so much with the music that is infront of them. There are some pop artists who are not writing well so any rearrangments of their tunes may leave lots to be desired (MacArthur Park comes to mind ... not much to it but it's still a scream vehicle). I recall Stanley Clarke, Randy Brecker and others doing an arrangement of 'Take the A Train' that was far from a 'smooth treatment'. To each their own ...
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I was just about to submit my best Chris Botti transcription for consideration on shout.net~jh.

What's it from? I've got nothing against Botti (he's got a beautiful sound), I just don't like the stuff he's peddling to the masses...
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Grover Washington jr.-- his background was R & B and soulful organ-jazz combos.

1981 grammy winner- best R & B song "just the two of us." the whole album was smooth playing with bill withers on the last cut. "Soulful strut" album?

GW jr. died while taping an early morning show for CBS in 1999.

re: Chris botti hit the GBC shedder yesterday.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

re: Chris botti hit the GBC shedder yesterday.

Got Bland Changes?
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Grover got his start in Philly with Lee Morgan. As with many playing in that idiom, Grover had chops. He choose to play things that were more appealing to the masses rather than pushing the envelope. Mangione was a student of Dizzy Gillespie and was (along with his brother, Gap) a member of the Jazz Messengers.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Mangione was a student of Dizzy Gillespie

I don't believe this is correct. Gillespie was a friend of the Mangione family, and might have offered some encouragement to Chuck, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that Diz was in the Rochester area for anything but an occassional concert.

Quote:

and was (along with his brother, Gap) a member of the Jazz Messengers.

Yes, Chuck was (long enough for one album, "Buttercorn Lady", later released on CD as "Get the Message", with Keith Jarrett on piano). No, Gap never played in the Messengers.

Chuck and Gap had a band called "The Jazz Brothers" that recorded 2-3 albums on Riverside around 1960 or so. Is this the band you're thinking of?

In any event -- hearing CM play trumpet on these early recordings, you can tell his early influences were in more traditional bebop, which I suppose was the point you were making...
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I may be tap dancing on (very) thin ice here I got the Mangione/Gillespie connection through word of mouth so I'll have to look to verify - I am certain I saw Gap's name on a Messenger album. As my ex-wife will tell you, I am fallible so let me check and get back.
72*

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you guys out there condemning smooth jazz are idiots. You have to be so good to play t hat s*** (minus Kenny g) Obviously you've heard Chris Botti. Eh. Ever heard Rick Braun? This guy can play. Look for some of his songs...or something. He got his degree from Eastman. (woohoo...) Most smooth jazz players are legit jazz players before turning over. Chuck magione? Chris Botti. I used to think it was gay too, until I found some good stuff. Yes, most smooth jazz sucks, but there are some good ones out there.

72*
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

72*
FWIW, my wife hates jazz but loves Chris Botti. I'm not sure what that means. Well...yeah, actually I do know what that means.
Larry Smithee
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"got his start with Lee Morgan..."

how about going back and checking that out too.

Yes, grover played in New York and Philly.

edit-- "Soulful Strut" should have read "Winelight"
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First,

Quote:

All you guys out there condemning smooth jazz are idiots.

Then,

Quote:

Yes, most smooth jazz sucks

Uh, okay.
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I go (eating crow)
1. I stand corrected. Gap Mangione was NOT a jazz messenger. I don't know what got into my head saying some wrong stuff like that. It was such a leap that his brother could've been on the same stage (at the same time - as a Jazz Messenger) with Art Blakey - I figured anything was possible. (munchin)
2. I cannot ask Dizzy if he truely taught young Chuck Mangione or if that family friendship was an opportunity to teach. From out of 'Salt Peanuts comes 'Feels So Good' I wonder if he would admit to having taught Chuck? (more munchin)
3. Grover and Lee (dammit) I cannot find the fact but I know it to be true. A quick read of Grover's Bio on Allmusic.com says that he was a sideman for Prestige which counts Lee Morgan out but does not eliminate the possibility that he (Grover) was up to the task. I will keep looking for that one. (burp)
I've learned the bitter lesson - I will verifiy my facts before I post them before such an august body of musicians.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, gee whiz, I don't know if smooth jazz is great or junk, but I DO know that Botti and Braun are good trumpet players, and I'd be really happy if I sounded anything like either of them.

I know - I should practice, and I do, but they are still a lot better than I am. I like to hear them play because they sound good. Perhaps some people would be less critical if they played some other kind of music, but that's what they play and I suspect that they make pretty good money at it at the same time. I also imagine that they are successful enough that it really doesn't matter if few people think otherwise....

My guess is that they are doing what they enjoy, are good at, and are filling their pockets and bank accounts at the same time. Research tends to show that a majority of people do not much like what they do for a living. I think these guys have got it made, so to speak. Probably having fun at what they enjoy doing and getting paid for it. Sounds good to me.....I sort of envy that....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: