• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Smooth Jazz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gillestar1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Norah Jones smooth jazz?? Just wondering....

Kurt
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I would want to 'pigeon hole' Norah Jones. If pressed I would have to put her in that catagory of 'damned good looking women who sing'. I'm waiting to hear what she does next. Maybe a Patsy Cline tribute?

Kanstul Burbank Flugel Horn & Warburton 3XFL
Music Ed Maj at WWU fall 2003.

[ This Message was edited by: bophead on 2003-04-28 10:21 ]
trptsbaker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Smooth Jazz". Right. There is no such animal.
surfhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Chuck Magione play in one of Maynard's big bands bands?
Gillestar1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree with you moreabout Norah, bophead......anxiously awaiting her next album. So who of the people who post here doesn't think Kenny Gee is a super talent??

[ This Message was edited by: Gillestar1 on 2003-05-04 20:27 ]
surfhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before his perm, I believe Kenny G was a well respected session player.
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

File this under the "For What It is Worth" column:

Grover Washington, Jr. recorded a straightahead CD called "Then and Now". Amongst the sidemen on that recording were Herbie Hancock and Ron Carter.

A lot of those guys and gals doing the smooth jazz thing are quite capable of playing the more traditional-sounding stuff. There has always been a lot of friction between jazzers who have been willing to play the more commercial stuff and those who stayed with "jazz as art music" direction. There has also been a lot of cross-fertilization and snobbery. For example, Julian Adderly was always criticized for his commercial/R&B pedigree despite his reputation as a great improvisor and jazz stylist.

Now about that Kenny Gorlick fellow..... well, I'll abstain from real critcism this time, because I can't even play a decent solo over blues changes. But I know what I like. Other people also know what they like, and a lot of folks do like what Kenny G offers. God bless him, he's making a lot of money. But I don't think his music is jazz.

Thos.

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2003-05-05 22:39 ]
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a pretty interesting commentary from Pat Methany in regards to Kenny G's musicianship. He questioned how 'right minded' the guy is/was when lifting Louis' 'Wonderful World' track and inserting his playing, 'musical necrophelia' is the term I believe he used. Methany went on to liken Gorlick's sound to 'mindless noodling'.
I sometimes get lost in a form, forget a change, get tired and slip out of tune. I will probably never make a 1% of what Kenny G has made from reissues of the the stuff he's done. I have to agree with Methany though. I do not like what Kenny G does musically. I'd be hard pressed to call it art and I sure wouldn't call it Jazz. Kenny G-arrett on the other hand is a baaaad man.
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, Kenny G's little "musical necrophilia" project was more a case of bad taste then outright bad musicianship.

I can't really accuse a professional musician of "mindless noodling" because I'm not that great at noodling myself. I'll let my opinion be known through my wallet. I sold all of my Kenny G recordings a few years ago (yes... I actually had a few) and I haven't been the least bit interested in buying anything by the guy.

I'm currently in the phase of avoiding all "smooth jazz" or "electified" instrumental pop. I don't know how long it's going to last. There are guys out there who can play anything, yet choose to pay bills with "smooth jazz". I wish they were all like Pat Metheny, who has kept a strong sense of asthetics, creativity and originality.
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroman: As for the bad taste and bad musicianship thing, is there really much of a difference? When you're on a professional level you're already at least decent enough to fool someone as far as playing goes, and a big part of your musicianship becomes your taste. It doesn't matter if you have Double C if you don't play with any taste or good sound you're not going to be considered a good musician. The thing that made Doc Severinsen and Maynard so special was actually the way they play the notes, not just the fact that they could play them.

Also, if anyone has read the Kenny G interview where he said Charlie Parker was called "Bird" because his reed chirped (DUMBEST THING ANY FAMOUS "JAZZ" PLAYER HAS SAID....EVER!!!), it makes me realize Kenny G is a joke as far as musical knowledge too. I previously thought Kenny G probably at least knew a lot about his instrumental history even though his music was junk. I guess I was proven wrong. Any saxophone player should know Parker was called Bird because he once ran over a chicken in his car and took the chicken home and made it for dinner because he loved chicken. Hell I'm a trumpet player and I know that. Bottom line: with all due respect, G is an ego maniac. He needs to get his ego chopped down. What kind of saxophone player would talk about Charlie Parker like that? He said Bird was technically insufficient and squeaked too much. Oh sure Mr. G, and we all know you're the epitome of excellent saxophone playing.

[ This Message was edited by: AccentOnTrumpet on 2003-05-08 19:16 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: