• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Using Medallion Kit for Gold Plating (For Japle)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbone_1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japle, it seems that you're the resident expert on gold plating using the Medallion kit... I was wondering if it was possible to plate the tuning slides (preferably all four of them, but if not, at least the three valve slides), how to do it, and if it's possible with only one refill. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Aaron R.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Medallion product for plating mouthpieces and it works great for that. As for slides there might be creative method to allow you to do that with this product but I don't think so. Actually, the Madallion product is intended for plaing small items of jewlery. The solution is contained in a small jar about half the size of a small paper cup. So that would be part of the problem. Being able to immerse the slides in the solution. Overcome that obsticle and you might be in business. However, there is not a lot of the solution to begin with.
Larry
tbone_1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh... Do you know if it's possible to plate a Megatone trumpet mpc? I also have a trombone Megatone that I'd like to try if I get a refill kit. Thanks Larry!
Aaron R.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Medallion kit is quite good actually. I have just used it to plate a 3B Megatone mouthpiece. As Japle said in an earlier thread, you must heat the mouthpiece up first since it is so massive, then dip the mouthpiece in the solution. It takes about 30 seconds or so, and voila! Polish it up and you have a nicely gold plated mouthpiece. I usually dip it a couple times to make sure there is a nice layer of gold throughout the mouthpiece.

I have pictures of some mouthpieces I have done if you guys are interested.

Thanks,
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tbone_1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, send them over... dragonlord622@yahoo.com
Aaron R.
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done slides--including the main tuning slide--by using two kits: the slide must touch both aluminium discs, and be submerged completely. You can use a tupperware-style plastic food container big enough to hold the slide.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys ... you can order the gold plating kit here:

http://www.medallionprod.com/

I ordered that and an extra container of gold solution as well. I even ordered the silver polishing kit which works really well also. Keep in mind though that it took quite a while to receive my order as I think they were out of stock at the time. The company sold a couple kits on Ebay recently and I captilalized on those also and those shipped real fast; so, maybe they have some more in stock now.

I gold plated quite a few mouthpieces .. some came out much better than others. It all depends on how you prep the mouthpiece and what kind of condition the mouthpiece is in also .... the newer ones plate AWESOME!!!

Check out some of my work:

http://www.xpphotoalbum.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&si=&page=1&sort=0&perpage=15&password=&ppuser=5508&stype=0

Click each picture once ... then click again for a really LARGE view.

The hardest thing I find is making sure the gold plate gets all the way around the rim. I recommend the product though!!

Hope this helps,

Bb Bachs
- 37 S180ML-24K 284xxx
- 43 Sterling ML 25LR
C - Bach 229/25R
Eb/D - Yamaha 9610
Picc - Yamaha 9830 w/Laskey PIC
Flugel - Jupiter 846RL w/68F
Cornet - Bach 181 w/68DB
Laskeys 68MD,68C

[ This Message was edited by: jophst on 2004-04-06 08:37 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recommend that you use plastic goves when handling the soulution and mouthpieces during the plating process. That stuff will really stain your fingers. FWIW
Larry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: