• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

John McElroy's take on Zeus

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I could send a private message to just you Josh, but this is worth several readers attention.

I had a lesson with John McElroy this morning. For those of you who do not know who John is, let me give you a brief bio. John studied at Curtis Institute, he is the principal trumpet of the Alamaba Symphony (full-time symphony), he is a Bach lover, and he was Wynotn Marsalis's teacher for 4 years. He played a huge role getting Wynton ready for Julliard. This man can play. He definitely knows his way around in the trumpet world. The only reason he lives in AL is because his wife wanted to settle down here. I am sure some of you have heard about him.

Anyway, we spent the entire hour playing Zeus horns today. I brought him my Zeus Guarnerius "Bb" and "C" and he played both.

He played the Bb first. He loved it and said that it was an incredible horn. He commented that the Zeus was a way better horn than his Bach. He said that he would definitely recommend this horn to anyone and that he was blown away by the price. He thought intonation was terrific.

He then moved on to the "C". He was so shocked by its playability that he took it into the concert hall and played his Bach horn against it. He couldn't believe how wonderful the horn sounded. He said, "I have played on this Bach for ten years and I love it. It is the best playing Bach "C" I have ever played, but this Zeus "C" plays just as good. I can't tell any difference at all." Listening from the floor the Zeus had a little darker sound, due to the copper bell. He said that he was going to tell all of his university students to buy a Zeus Guarnerius "C" trumpet from me.

I'm not saying anything negative about Bach here, I just wanted to let ya'll know what a true professional player's review was of Zeus.

Zeus Olympus
Zeus Guarnerius Bb
Zeus Guarnerius C
2 antique Bach 37's that sit at the house

"If you are still talking about what you did yesterday, you didn't do jack today"

[ This Message was edited by: zeusfan on 2004-04-05 23:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: zeusfan on 2004-04-05 23:26 ]
GTM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info!

Blessings,
Golden Trumpet Ministries
Endorsing Artist - Wedge Mouthpieces and Phaeton Trumpets and Flugelhorns
cybersnyder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trumpetherald.com/advertise.html
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
http://www.trumpetherald.com/advertise.html

Gee, I wonder what you're implying here. Just as long as you're willing to apply the same level of criticism to the WT crowd and all their glowing reports...

-Dan
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he say anything about the horn other then "He loved it", "an incredible horn", and "Better then a Bach"?
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had nothing bad to say at all about both Zues horns? Seems like he would have had something bad to say about it ... especially a picky professional such as he. It just sounds a little "too" good of a review for the Zeus. Will he switching to Zeus horns and get rid of his Bach's?

Or, does he just like the Zeus horns a whole lot?

Bb Bachs
- 37 S180ML-24K 284xxx
- 43 Sterling ML 25LR
C - Bach 229/25R
Eb/D - Yamaha 9610
Picc - Yamaha 9830 w/Laskey PIC
Flugel - Jupiter 846RL w/68F
Cornet - Bach 181 w/68DB
Laskeys 68MD,68C

[ This Message was edited by: jophst on 2004-04-06 08:29 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he (John) wants to come on here and give a testimonial, that's fine, but with a name like "Zeusfan" and the fact that you are also a Zeus dealer - limits your credibility.

I need to double-check, but I don't think I have any Alabama Symphony recordings.

romey
cybersnyder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gee, I wonder what you're implying here. Just as long as you're willing to apply the same level of criticism to the WT crowd and all their glowing reports...

-Dan

If they sell the instruments that they give glowing reviews, then I'll be critical of them as well. But most people have too much, well, "class".
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions. The only thing negative that he had say about the Zeus horns was the finish and about one of the braces. He said that he couldn't play a horn that was a brushed copper, but that a lacquer or silver would be great. He is very traditional, which is fine. Also, the "C" has two braces at the end of the tuning slide. One for the leadpipe and one for the tuning slide itself. John has huge hands and one brace seemed to get in his way on tuning his D's. No big deal because you can special order the horn without that brace. So really, he had nothing negative to say at all. And yes, I believe he is going to be buying a Bb from me soon. If he doesn't, then the only reason would be that he doesn't play enough on a Bb to justify the expense. And as for him buying a "C", I am going to be getting a silver "C" in soon and he wants to play that.

Also, if you have noticed, I am the one posting with a warm heart and still being attacked just because of a name.

Josh, could you do me a favor and tell romey1 that John is a worthy candidate for reviewing a horn. He seems to think since it is Alabama that only Joe Dirt can play down hur. I understand that my credibility is lost by being a Zeus dealer, but I just passing the word. By the way, his Bach "C" was by far the best Bach I have ever played. I didn't like the valves so much, but it was a nice horn. He said that it was a L bore horn. And as for John coming on here and posting, I think this is a little below him. Nothing against all of us, but he plays and sleeps. If there is a gig in the state worthy of getting, he has it. You don't see Wynton posting on here, because he is very busy, not because he doesn't care.

I won't lie to you, I promise. So, don't imply that I am.

Zeus Olympus
Zeus Guarnerius Bb
Zeus Guarnerius C

"If you are still talking about what you did yesterday, you didn't do jack today"
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If they sell the instruments that they give glowing reviews, then I'll be critical of them as well. But most people have too much, well, "class".

Stick around a while... you'll see it...

-Dan
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just simply replying to a question that was ask a couple of weeks back.
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot. Cybersnyder, after reading your first post here on the TH, I think it is possible you are a little bitter over not getting a guitar made for you by Alex. If you have a solid point to make, please make it. But, if you are just trying to make Zeus and its dealers look ignorant, please refrain from posting. There has only been one post since you joined that had anything to do about playing trumpet and you said that you played a long time ago. We try to help comeback players on here. How can we help you?

Zeus Olympus
Zeus Guarnerius Bb
Zeus Guarnerius C

Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have never played a Zeus and can't speak about those horns, I can vouch for John McElroy's abilities. I live in Birmingham an have heard him many times, although I don't know him personally.

McElroy is a southerner and came to the Alabama Symphony in the mid 70's right out of Curtis. At the time the ASO was trying to move to the next level and several of the principal players were young musicians out of Curtis.( By the way there is an ITG article about Gilbert Johnson from a few years back in which McElroy is quoted extensively concerning Johnson's teaching methods) I actually first heard of McElroy through my cousin, a harpist in New York, whose friend, a cellist in the ASO, told her that the trumpet section in the ASO was just great.

I believe McElroy's connection with Wynton started when Wynton went to the Eastern Music Festival in NC as a 14 year old and McElroy was the trumpet instructor. Thereafter Wynton would periodically come up to B'ham from New Orleans for lessons. Wynton is on record for recognizing McElroy for his contribution to Wynton's progress.

I think McElroy could have played in one of the major orchestras. I have been told his hobbies are hunting and fishing which you can do alot easier down here than in some place like Philadephia. And if his wife is a southerner, its impossible to get southern women to move. (I, a Californian, can personally vouch for that). I've been told that he might have considered auditioning for the Atlanta job when John Head retired (who I think may have been McElroy's teacher in high school), however, in the early 90's, McElroy was in a very serious auto accident that nearly tore his right arm off. He had a number of operations, and I remember for a couple of seasons he had to play third part with his legs crossed and his right elbow resting on his leg. (by the way John Head occassionally plays as an "extra' with the ASO) He also has most of the local college teaching gigs, so he can do fairly well financially without having to play a long grinding season.

I've heard him play the Hayden, Brandenburg, Mahler's 5th and the Rite of Spring and they have all been great. He is a big man with alot of power and endurance. I have heard Mark Ridenhour play the first trumpet part to Ein Heldenleben (in '96 when Herseth was having heart surgery) and in my opinion, McElroy has played it just as well. (although the ASO couldn't match the rest of the CSO). McElroy is a favorite of local audiences and we are lucky to have him.

If MCElroy made the comments about the Zeus trumpets attributed to him, they are probably worth trying out. Whether you can "pull the trigger" and buy one is another question. I bought a Bach S-37 and regret somewhat that I didn't buy the gold-plated T-105 Holton I tried along side it. At the time I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on a Holton.
thelurker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have a solid point to make, please make it. But, if you are just trying to make Zeus and its dealers look ignorant, please refrain from posting

i believe he did make his point and you guys make yourself look pretty ignorant on your own, no one needs to give you any help.

[ This Message was edited by: thelurker on 2004-04-06 11:43 ]
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i believe he did make his point and you guys make yourself look pretty ignorant on your own, no one needs to give you any help.

Pot. Kettle Black. Ladies and gentlemen, the consummate drive-by snipe artist. I give you thelurker.

... and the crowd goes wild.

-Dan
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pat! John is a great teacher whom I believe would challenge a professional player in every lesson. He takes my weakness and won't let me stop working on it until it is a strength. He is a great man and I count it as an honor to call him my friend.

Zeus Olympus
Zeus Guarnerius Bb
Zeus Guarnerius C

_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "proper" yellow-brass bell would probably help that C a lot. The copper caters to a whole different sound than most classical pros are shooting for, IMHO.

Dave
cybersnyder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I almost forgot. Cybersnyder, after reading your first post here on the TH, I think it is possible you are a little bitter over not getting a guitar made for you by Alex. If you have a solid point to make, please make it. But, if you are just trying to make Zeus and its dealers look ignorant, please refrain from posting. There has only been one post since you joined that had anything to do about playing trumpet and you said that you played a long time ago. We try to help comeback players on here. How can we help you?

Initially was a little bitter, but in hindisght I think it was the best. There are many guitar manufacturers out there. I would have enjoyed playing one of his instruments, but I never got the "religion" necessary to become a disciple.

Ok, here's my point... if you're going to use the forum for advertisement, buy some ad time. It's only $30 / month. Tax deductible. I really don't need to make any of the Zeus dealers such as yourself look like anything. You do that well enough on your own.

But you're right, this is my last post on anything ZeuS related. They're the best instrument on the face of the Earth!!!!!!!
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not to be bitter. We are just trying to help.
JamesEarleStewartJr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, this is fun. I love it when someone post about the Zeus horns. Even without Alex stirring the pot things get hot. I can't tell you how much entertainment value these posts provide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: